Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Game crash 5~10 minutes in  (Read 2607 times)

QuiGonJon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Game crash 5~10 minutes in
« on: August 02, 2017, 06:23:59 PM »

Yo
So I just bought starsector yesterday, was excited to play it. Boot it up, and to my (mild) surprise, it actually runs pretty well on my rather aged pc. Half the time when I get a new game I expect some issues, so when I got a smooth start up I was pretty happy. Start tutorial for 5ish min, game suddenly exits out, no error message or anything. Weird, continued playing and this occurred about 2 more times, each time after almost exactly 5 minutes. My first thought was maybe since I registered my game while disconnected to the internet (I recently moved and internet is still in the works at my place) that the game closes itself after a few minutes of play as an anti-piracy measure. Poke around at work the next day, find the crash longs in game files. Not sure what to make of them, can anyone more techie than I interpret?

Crash log attatched

[attachment deleted by admin]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Game crash 5~10 minutes in
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 06:28:30 PM »

Hmm. Sorry about the trouble! Can you try updating your graphics drivers? From the crash log, looks like it's a possible culprit. Also: I'd try disabling your anti-virus temporarily, and any other software you might have running, such as video capture or anything related.

QuiGonJon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 08:09:17 PM »

Literally the newest driver available for my old ass pc, so if there's no other option to work around then I'm simply held back by my lack of money once again.
Ah well, was planning on getting a on pc in a few months anyways.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 08:12:13 PM »

Could you send me your copy of starsector.log file, found in starsector-core? Generally with this kind of hard crash - that generates an hs_err* file - there's not much of use in the main log, but I'd still like to take a look, just in case.

Also, did you try turning off antivirus etc?

Another thing to try might be running as administrator or in various compatibility modes.

Edit - for sending the logfile, my email is:
fractalsoftworks [at] gmail [dot] com

QuiGonJon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 08:57:36 PM »

Aye cap'n, I will email you the log post haste.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to test it, still being at work. I'm going to try your suggestions later this evening, and report back tomorrow once I'm back at work and have internet.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 09:03:52 PM »

Alright, good luck :)

QuiGonJon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 02:33:08 AM »

Tried running as administrator with literally nothing else running on my pc, same issue. Ah well, guess it'll have to wait a couple months until I have the cash to finally upgrade.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 09:12:39 AM »

Ahh, sorry! Not sure what the issue is, unfortunately.

One more thing you could try, actually - if you download the latest version of java (say, java 8), and replace Starsector's jre folder with its jre/ folder, that could make it work. Since the crash seems to be an odd one in the jvm, using a different version of it could just get around it. Using java 8 has some other potential problems, but they're not of the "game crashes in 5 minutes every time" variety. So, depending on how much you wanted to get the game working now vs wait, this could be an option.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 10:16:26 AM »

Spotted one peculiarity in the log that *might* cause problems:

Environment Variables:
CLASSPATH=.;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 10:33:53 AM »

Oh, yeah, that could really cause issues. Good catch there :)