Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fighter projectiles are doing obscene amounts of damage with Strike Commander 3.  (Read 1956 times)

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile

Mods used to easily replicate this issue: Console Commands, LazyLib, and Practice Targets, none of which should be causing this issue. No other mods were enabled.

Scenario 1: A Drover, piloted by the player, mounting 1 Warthog wing and nothing else vs the Low Tech Practice Target; basically a shieldless Onslaught without any guns on it.
Without skills, a Warthog does 67 damage to armor with its initial volley of 3 Light Mortar shots.
With Strike Commander 3, a Warthog does 229 damage to armor with its initial volley of 3 Light Mortar shots. If you turn the music off, you can clearly hear the impact sound play way more than 3 times.

Scenario 2: A Drover, piloted by the player, mounting 1 Warthog wing and nothing else vs the High Tech Practice Target; basically a Paragon without any guns on it.
Without skills, a Warthog does 67 damage to shields with its initial volley of 3 Light Mortar shots.
With Strike Commander 3, a Warthog does 229 damage to shields with its initial volley of 3 Light Mortar shots. It's harder to tell if the multiple hit sounds are occurring as the shield impact sounds are less distinct, but I think that it is playing multiple hit sounds.

I cannot get this to replicate with Sparks or bombers, which I believe points to a projectile issue. Perhaps the projectiles are not despawning properly after the first hit, so they hit multiple times in a row?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 06:01:33 PM by ANGRYABOUTELVES »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Oh my. That's exactly right - the skill was causing fighter projectiles to hit once per frame until they fully fade out, which is... a lot of hits. Fixed this up, thank you for the report!

(No wonder the Warthog was looking overpowered.)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile

Oho... that explains something odd I ran into.

You may want to look into other possible cases like this; when I was building the Form Shield concept, I noticed that most projectiles were both isFading() didDamage() and had a getDamageTarget; that might be an issue.  I wrote a storage function to keep those DamagingProjectileAPIs tracked so that they couldn't do that in my (still unreleased) next update for my EZFaction example mod.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

The cause here was the extra damage from Strike Commander was overriding the damage multiplier on the projectile Damage, which should've been zero once it did its damage; doesn't look like anything else does that.

isFading() and didDamage() is a valid combination, btw. Projectiles stick around after doing damage, with a 0 damage multiplier, so that their trails can properly fade out.