Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Information access, diplomacy and new ship classes  (Read 2389 times)

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
Information access, diplomacy and new ship classes
« on: July 27, 2017, 07:48:46 AM »

Hey everyone,

Sorry about the title, I don't want to start several topic, so this is more a list of ideas related to needs/gaps I experienced in the game.

So, first thematic is about information access from stuff already discover or which are common. I'm mostly interested in the exploration and trade aspect of the game. I have 3 items in mind:
 - Markets : maybe I've miss a tab somewhere, but there is no way to know which good a planet produce. As planets doen't produce as much as in previous version, it's harder to get te right stuff in the right place. I don't rant about the difficulty, it's more that to my mind it makes sense to go the some kind of Starsector network and ask the local trade ministry what kind of stuff they produce.
 - Existing derelict. After dozens of explored star systems it's sometime difficult to remember which ****ing one got this precious research station. Maybe add something in a panel similar to the list of known planet? With distance, difficulty rating etc...?
 - A little update about neutron star (which should benefit from a warning beacon by the way) : maybe add in the system map where the Pulsar Beam of Death is located.

Ok now about D-mod. I really like the actual system. I was wondering if adding a little bit more about "mixing" ship could be a good idea. If someone read about WWII, he will often read that sometime two deteriorated planes where disassembled to build one which work. The same could be add to Starsector. Take two identical ships (lets say a Wolf) and combine them. The new one will only keep D-mod that both initial ships where starting with. So, if Wolf 1 has a Armour and Engine D-Mod and Wolf 2 has Engine and Power Grid D-Mod, NewWolf will only have Engine D-Mod. This can allow getting functional ships has long as they are common like destroyer or frigate. You probably will not do it with for an astral carrier because it's much rarer.

Some ships class I found lacking from my playstyle:
-A utility ship. Something with poor combat abilities (including weapon mounts) but many OP dedicated to specialized equipment : survey, EW, Nav Mod...
-A scout ship. For know both ship with High Sensor a High-tech, combat-oriented ships. I was thinking about a civilian, low-mid tech frigate with enhanced sensor used as a scout for fleet or messenger.

Last theme : diplomacy
 - For now, factions are neutral or at war with eachother. Could be nice if the relationship is degrading like with player: Neutral, shoot only at  military fleets, total war. Similarly, factions with neutral relationships cannot help eachother when engaging an other ennemy.
 - Safe harbor. From the lore and in-game description, stations are littered with guns. It's strange a raider party can attack a commercial fleet on the face of the station/planet. I don't know how it can be implemented, maybe some kind of terrain effect around the planet representing mines, long-range shots. Or proximity fleets engaging the raiders? Let's take an exemple.
A Persean League civilian fleet is orbiting Luddic Church planet. A Hegemony strike fleet jump in and attack the Persean League fleet. I don't think the Persean league will be happy to know that their fleet was destroy in a Luddic Harbor because Luddic Church is not at war with Hegemony. In fact, maybe the Hegemony fleet will not attack the fleet in orbite and wait the Persean fleet leave, or they attack, but local Church patrol will engage even if they are not at war.

Sorry for the lenghty post. I should add that don't have any idea how difficult each item is to add/implement. I just wanted to give some feedback about things I found are weird or lacking in the actual state of the game.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Information access, diplomacy and new ship classes
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 11:37:43 AM »

Argh, forum ate my post. Let's try this again. Concisely this time.

Market: button in top left corner of market screen.

Derelicts: good idea.

Neutron Star Death Beams: good idea

D-mod Ship Combo: interesting idea. I'm not sure if it's a good one or a bad one, though.

Utility Ships: Shepherd, any civilian ship with utility hullmods.

Scout Ship: I like the idea. Would also be nice to have a destroyer like the Lynx from Interstellar Imperium.

More Nuanced Faction Interactions: Looks good to me. Seems simple, too.

Safe Harbor: I think Alex and David have hinted all stations might become battlestations, which partially solves your issue. The other part seems it could be very hard to implement cleanly and clearly.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 11:51:01 AM »

Utility / Scout Ship:  Great idea; we had an AWACS-like ship at one point (one of the many iterations on the Apogee) and it was pretty nifty.  I'd buy one for sure, if it was fast enough to stay out of trouble (or, like the old Apogee, tanky enough that I wanted it in trouble).  I feel like this would really benefit players who want to focus on LRM / fighter fleets, or "chaser" fleets with fragile-but-powerful glass cannons.

I'd also like to see ships that repair damaged weapons / engines, maybe even something that can repair CR in-combat (funnily enough, I already have ship AIs written for most of this stuff sitting around from Vacuum...).
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 12:08:53 PM »

Market: button in top left corner of market screen.

Yeah but it's only apply to the current market you are visiting right? What if I want to know what Hesperus is producing when I'm in Corvus? Maybe I've miss something...

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 12:55:30 PM »

Yeah but it's only apply to the current market you are visiting right? What if I want to know what Hesperus is producing when I'm in Corvus? Maybe I've miss something...

Ah, unfortunately there is no screen for that atm