Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: VR is frackin' awesome!  (Read 17129 times)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
VR is frackin' awesome!
« on: July 24, 2017, 02:29:19 PM »

Just picked up an Oculus Rift + touch controller bundle (£323; Oculus price slash + retailer pricing error + cashback promo. :D)

I was initially skeptical, as my previous experience with VR was the Oculus DK1 (I seriously considered not opening my CV1, and selling it on for a profit!)
However, having just finished a session of robo recall, it's definitely a keeper!
It evoked in me the same feelings I got when I 1st played the 'sit down and race' style arcade machines like Ridge Racer, and the lightgun games like Time Crisis; unprecedented immersion, and a completely unique gaming experience.

Though there is one (arguable) down side.... gaming is now physically exhausting!
Granted I'm no body builder, but nor am I couch potato slob, yet after a few hours of of play my arms, back & legs, are all in need of a rest!

So yeah, even if you don't buy one yourself, I encourage everyone to find somewhere you can demo it.

Also..... Starsector VR hype! ;D

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: VR is frackin' awesome!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 02:00:25 AM »

I'm betting that the Reaper Leviathan in Subnautica will rack up a higher IRL body count than pre-nerf Pandemonium Warden once VR takes off.

Not tried subnautica yet, will add it to my list!
I was always skeptical about the authenticity of the jump scares shown in promo stuff (like the Vive advert)
However, large entities that tower over you, like bosses, really do have an intimidating presence when you're fully immersed.

I've yet to try any horror games either; tempted to pick up Doom 3 bfg edition as it's super cheap and has an excellent VR mod.

RedTheHunter

• Ensign
  • Space, Science, Guns, what could go wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 06:05:09 AM »

Have you seen the game "to the top", I heard it can be quite a liberating experience with VR.
Me: "Is the space leaking in, or is the air leaking out?"
One: "Either way, you're screwed, have fun suffocating."
Marv: *Silent screams in airless space*

masterpain81

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • iheartguys
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 12:05:36 AM »

If you're hype about VR, the Echo Arena game is one the best and hypest VR games I've seen so far.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 01:18:16 AM »

If you're hype about VR, the Echo Arena game is one the best and hypest VR games I've seen so far.

Gave it a try; technically impressive but I didn't find it particularly fun.

Have since returned my rift for a refund.
While it is an awesome and completely unique experience, I feel it's still too early for mainstream; hardware is fragile, unreliable and worse, unmaintainable.
Break something yourself and you'll be buying a whole new rift, as there is *zero* out of warranty repair provision.

The in warranty support from Oculus is atrocious too.