Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Java Memory Allocation Question - 8 gigs not enough?!  (Read 12011 times)

Julzjuice

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Java Memory Allocation Question - 8 gigs not enough?!
« on: July 15, 2017, 08:41:34 PM »

Quick question again guys, how much memory do I need to run this game with Nexelrin and Dynasector combined? I allocated 8g of ram to my Java and I am STILL receiving those Java Heap memory errors saying that I am above the safe treshold or whatever.

So yea... 8 gigs of RAM aint enough to run the game fully moded or am I missing something here?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Java Memory Allocation Question - 8 gigs not enough?!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 09:19:20 PM »

Do you have the min and max set to the same level? That should help. Also, certain mods are heavier than others
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Julzjuice

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 09:25:34 PM »

Do you have the min and max set to the same level? That should help. Also, certain mods are heavier than others

Yep, 8g - 8g... :(

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 05:11:49 AM »

Quick question again guys, how much memory do I need to run this game with Nexelrin and Dynasector combined? I allocated 8g of ram to my Java and I am STILL receiving those Java Heap memory errors saying that I am above the safe treshold or whatever.

So yea... 8 gigs of RAM aint enough to run the game fully moded or am I missing something here?

Are you sure the settings are active?
Easy way to check; is the Java process in Task Manager using that much ram?

Squish Cat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 07:59:52 PM »

Did you type in 8g or 8192m for the xms/xmx params?  I know technically 8g is supposed to work, but from my personal experience, half the programs that use Java that I've used do not accept the "g" tag as a viable syntax when setting memory limits.  8g ends up being set as 800 megabytes, or some other odd number, for some reason.  However, typing out the full number in megabytes, IE: 8192m has always worked for me.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:01:48 PM by Squish Cat »

Kyuss11

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 08:38:58 PM »

I use 10 but still get java heaps.It appears that you really can't run every mod with Starsector as of right now.Hopefully the developer and moders will make things work when the final release has been done

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 08:05:46 AM »

I use 10 but still get java heaps.It appears that you really can't run every mod with Starsector as of right now.Hopefully the developer and moders will make things work when the final release has been done

I think you're jumping to premature & erroneous conclusions.
I'd suggest posting a detailed bug report in the bugs->modding forum, including:

• hardware specification
  • Os version
  • JVM version
  • exact commandline that the game is being launched with
  • List of active mods (including versions)
  • Starsector log

Someone appropriately motivated might then stand a chance of reproducing the issue in a debug environment, and be able to tell you precisely what's causing the problem.

Kyuss11

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 09:00:52 AM »

Don't get me wrong,I'm not trying to be rude. I love this game and the modding community is awesome.I was just saying that there is awhile yet before the final release and then with all the future updates to mods before we can get this game working smoothly.

The new Nexerelin update helped out a lot with save crashes but java heap issues will still happen because there is a few memory leaks going on. I have sent a few error logs as well to try and help.It's easier to try a few mods out at a time but once you get more than 8 faction mods then it starts throwing java heaps.However as long as the save don't crash than you can still play with the warning and keep saving.

wmss

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 10:18:53 AM »

Are you sure that there's not something wrong on your end? I run every faction mod updated for 0.8.1 and I have never had any memory issues with only 4GB allocated.

Julzjuice

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 12:50:47 PM »

Did you type in 8g or 8192m for the xms/xmx params?  I know technically 8g is supposed to work, but from my personal experience, half the programs that use Java that I've used do not accept the "g" tag as a viable syntax when setting memory limits.  8g ends up being set as 800 megabytes, or some other odd number, for some reason.  However, typing out the full number in megabytes, IE: 8192m has always worked for me.

8g works fine, I monitored it using task manager. The game uses around 7.6-7.8 gigs of RAM with all the factions from Dynasector and Nexelrin runnning and other feature mods.

Julzjuice

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 12:57:09 PM »

Are you sure that there's not something wrong on your end? I run every faction mod updated for 0.8.1 and I have never had any memory issues with only 4GB allocated.

You're running Dynasector, Nexelrin and all the compatible factions for both those mods using only 4gigs of RAM and you do not have any issues?!?! Can you post a screenshot of the mods you're using and a screenshot of your task manager while Starsector is running?! I am sorry, I dont want to sound rude but I dont believe you.

I am pretty sure my computer is not at fault here:

I5-4790k overclocked to 4.5, water cooled
GTX1080
16 gigs of RAM

Never had an issue with anything else before. I can post my dxdiag log if need be.

I did a few tests though and it appears that slowly the game just increases its memory usage as time passes. When I load my save from a fresh start, it starts at using about 6.5g of RAM and then slowly increases up to 7.8-9 gigs.

Thats not really normal at all. There IS really something wrong somewhere with the way the game uses RAM. To me it all indicates to some kind of memory leak.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:01:52 PM by Julzjuice »

Julzjuice

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 12:59:19 PM »

I agree that something seems to cause the game to eat RAM like crazy.

wmss

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 04:22:07 PM »

You're running Dynasector, Nexelrin and all the compatible factions for both those mods using only 4gigs of RAM and you do not have any issues?!?! Can you post a screenshot of the mods you're using and a screenshot of your task manager while Starsector is running?! I am sorry, I dont want to sound rude but I dont believe you.

Here you go. Keep in mind my memory is almost maxed because I only have 8GB and Chrome hogs memory. It does climb, mind you, but it's never gone so far I get heap errors.

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 04:31:25 PM »

Are you making sure the game is using your built in GFX card and not your integrated card?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Kyuss11

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 05:14:59 PM »

I went to Nvidia control panel and selected the starsector exe file and forced it to run from my graphics card but when the game runs,I don't feel any heat coming from the back where the card is. Is there another way to force the card?

Plus it looks like I'm using just under 5gb of java ram when all mods are selected.
Pages: [1] 2