Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Drawing [REDACTED] Battlestations, part 2  (Read 12639 times)

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Drawing [REDACTED] Battlestations, part 2
« on: July 15, 2017, 01:58:38 PM »

WARNING

Blog post here.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:52:07 AM by David »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Drawing [REDACTED] Battlestations, part 2
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 03:27:18 PM »

(Flux you pc, for eating the whole goddamn response i spend half an hour to write.)

I'll just politely (and frustratingly) say this was a very interesting blog post, and go to bed already.

Goddamn derelict computer.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 04:27:22 PM »

Haha, that sounds rough HELMUT.

I really enjoyed seeing the failed designs and how it took some effort to end up with the final iteration of the battlestation. I've got my fingers crossed that the player will eventually be able to build their own battlestation and kit it out!

Can you imagine anything being more labor intensive to draw for Starsector than battlestations, David? Or do these behemoths take the crown?

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 05:26:18 PM »

I was interested how design influenced firepower and vice versa. Some of the early designed focused on one to the detriment of the other and some of the concepts had a bullet-hell feel while others seemed "practical" but not particularly threatening.

Of course you can't say anything but I would squeal like a school girl if other future stations had built-in super weapons in them. Maybe not Death Star super-lasers but other unique weapons that are on a scale larger than even capital ships can field. The current Remnant faction is not lacking in any way but at the end of the day, it's still using the same weapons as everything else. Remnant fleets and stations using exotic weaponry would further distinguish them as completely non-player.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 06:38:27 PM »

Of course you can't say anything but I would squeal like a school girl if other future stations had built-in super weapons in them. Maybe not Death Star super-lasers but other unique weapons that are on a scale larger than even capital ships can field. The current Remnant faction is not lacking in any way but at the end of the day, it's still using the same weapons as everything else. Remnant fleets and stations using exotic weaponry would further distinguish them as completely non-player.

Ooh, that would be fun! I'm all for this.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 07:32:35 PM »

That was fun, and funny!
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 09:42:25 PM »

Can you imagine anything being more labor intensive to draw for Starsector than battlestations, David? Or do these behemoths take the crown?

Nope. They're pretty well up there- although, having now gone through all that which is described in the blog post, it's gotten a lot easier.

I was interested how design influenced firepower and vice versa. Some of the early designed focused on one to the detriment of the other and some of the concepts had a bullet-hell feel while others seemed "practical" but not particularly threatening.

We've ... discussed ways of making special enemies even more special. Heck, I was asked about this earlier today - and yeah, I guess we could make one-off special things that blow you away, but it feels more correct to make conjunctions of existing game mechanics working together be the thing that blows you away, you know? Though maybe this is from an attitude that one-off content is a less efficient investment of dev time in the long-term plan to finish the game than dynamic content is. So maybe we'll feel better about one-off Fun Stuff once all the features are checked off? Maybe; gonna have to think on this.

Another answer: It feels kinda obvious to rely on a mere giant weapon, maybe. Surely the true dangers are more clever, more sinister ... Not ruling out putting a giant F-you gun on a secret baddie, mind you. Because that would be funny.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 04:28:13 AM »

The little dots are where modules could go, and I had a heck of a time keeping those organized. This would be an appropriate place for a montage of hopping between text editor and game, of slightly adjusting module positions and swapping module numbers until everything is where it belongs. (Alex did add support for better visualization of everything I needed, plus all sorts of little tweaks that make everything work more smoothly; but someone has to run into these problems before they can be ameliorated by his efforts. You’re welcome, everyone!)
Or you could have used the Ship and Weapon editor to place deco weapons with the modules sprites that conveniently share the same pivot.  ::) Although maybe by the time you need to make another station, modules will be fully supported.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 09:22:14 AM »

Or you could have used the Ship and Weapon editor to place deco weapons with the modules sprites that conveniently share the same pivot.  ::) Although maybe by the time you need to make another station, modules will be fully supported.

Hah, what you describe is essentially what Alex set up for me. :D

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 03:15:25 PM »

If you are looking for large ships in mods... you should take a look at the "sporeship" in the ship/weapon pack. its much larger than the remnant battlestation! last ship in the independent bounty board i think.

NITROtbomb

• Commander
  • I like Mah glass cannon ships :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 04:14:51 PM »

Bigger? Thats all I'm thinking :)
Dancing and playing games, how does that work.. well YOU tell me!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 01:25:02 PM »

So that it looks like a big Tri-Tachyon symbol is total coincidence? Ha :D

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 05:10:57 AM »

Interesting to see how much trial and error went into these. Not surprising that the final designs are all star-shaped. Fortresses tend to look that way.

I was reminded of Warning Forever. The game uses a smart growth algorithm to make the mothership bigger with every iteration you fight, depending on how you fight it.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 02:56:11 PM »

Interesting to see how much trial and error went into these. Not surprising that the final designs are all star-shaped. Fortresses tend to look that way.

I was reminded of Warning Forever. The game uses a smart growth algorithm to make the mothership bigger with every iteration you fight, depending on how you fight it.
Gods, I remember that game! That was the inspiration for Battleships Forever IIRC
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

frag971

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 07:56:46 AM »

Honestly, i haven't played much since the last patch. I find it too dificult or obfuscated as to how am i supposed to progress in the game. I keep bashing my head against Combat Readiness and Supplies, always wasting whatever money i earn on it and never being able to get on my feet. This station sounds like a lot of fun to encounter but tbh, unless the CR situation changes significantly i'm not playing this game. Maybe when it launches ill just use some cheats. The game used to be fun before CR.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.
Pages: [1] 2