Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Retreat Down  (Read 3293 times)

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
Retreat Down
« on: June 26, 2017, 10:14:08 AM »

For retreat missions, unlike normal combat missions, you retreat upwards. This seems odd, since for normal missions, the enemy retreats upwards, and for enemy retreat missions they also retreat upwards.

Also it is easier to fight upwards in my opinion, since you have a lot of UI stuff at the bottom of the screen.

I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Kwbr

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Retreat Down
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 07:27:37 PM »

Fleeing scenarios are already a pain generally, having your controls inverted from flying top to bottom wouldn't make that any better.

Wapno

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 06:11:26 AM »

Also it is easier to fight upwards in my opinion, since you have a lot of UI stuff at the bottom of the screen.
Well... I think that's actually the reason why it shouldn't be changed.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 11:29:20 AM »

Away from your fleet is up, and towards your fleet is down. Why would your fleet retreat towards your fleet?

The enemy of course always retreats away from your fleet.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 08:52:50 AM »

Away from your fleet is up, and towards your fleet is down. Why would your fleet retreat towards your fleet?

In combat missions, Your fleet retreats down, the enemy retreats up.

The enemy fleet retreats upwards starting at the bottom in retreat missions.
Your fleet would retreat down, starting at the top in retreat missions.

It would be consistent.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 09:14:36 AM »

Fleeing scenarios are already a pain generally, having your controls inverted from flying top to bottom wouldn't make that any better.
Well... I think that's actually the reason why it shouldn't be changed.
These are both arguments for retreat-down, actually.  So that the ships that actually turn to fight a delaying action would -not- have their controls inverted, and would have the top section of their screen - where the enemy is likely to be - free of UI stuff.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 09:26:35 AM »

Occasionally, a fight is easier if fought as a pursuit instead of a normal battle.  All of your heavy hitters are closest to the enemy, and some of the enemy frigates are not in the way due to being deployed at the sides.

A few times, I flee to let enemy pursue, then after everyone deploys, I turn around and start killing things because positioning is more convenient.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 12:13:38 PM »

In combat missions, Your fleet retreats down, the enemy retreats up.

The enemy fleet retreats upwards starting at the bottom in retreat missions.
Your fleet would retreat down, starting at the top in retreat missions.

It would be consistent.

Sorry. I wasn't 100% clear. Why would your fleet retreat "towards your fleet"? In regular combat encounters friendly ships should, of course, retreat down "towards your fleet", while enemy ships should retreat up "away from your fleet".

IMO, it is logically consistent. Whether it is the best way to do it or not: I don't know.

wmss

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 03:46:57 PM »

It's logically consistent the other way too; when your fleet retreats upward it starts facing upward, just like how it starts facing upward in a normal battle. At least for me my natural instinct is that up is the way to move my ship simply due to how much UI clutter there is at the bottom of the screen, and it would be best to make both "modes" stay consistent in that regard.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 10:05:58 AM »

I at least find it easier to fight upwards, and retreat downwards, and the other two combat scenarios all have you fightinig upwards and retreating downwards. This ofc ignores the part where battle lines break, rotate, or otherwise stop being a nice horizontal line.

In the scenerio, if you retreat upwards, the enemy will mainly be below you, where it is harder to fight because UI. When retreating, you only get an acceleration bonus from your facing, so you generally end up facing away from the retreat direction until you reach it, so the ship faces up, where the UI doesnt get in the way.

I am just suggesting that in the case of a player retreat mission, the entire map gets flipped vertically. You start at the top and retreat down. Enemy comes in from the top and the sides, and chases you downwards.

Again, not a huge issue, but something I find odd and annoying.