Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: [0.9a] Active Gates 0.2.0  (Read 120571 times)

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Active Gates 0.2.0
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 03:16:14 PM »

an update to this mod now that we're on 0.9 that makes activating a gate cost (# of gates active + 1) alpha cores would actually sit really well with the vanilla game's lore

Alpha cores wouldnt be put to use in gate traffic...way overkill, and they would likely go insane from boredom.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 06:49:25 PM »

an update to this mod now that we're on 0.9 that makes activating a gate cost (# of gates active + 1) alpha cores would actually sit really well with the vanilla game's lore

Alpha cores wouldnt be put to use in gate traffic...way overkill, and they would likely go insane from boredom.

Not so much coordinating ship traffic but implying that the actual operation of a stargate requires intense, nonstop calculations to maintain their stability.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2018, 07:56:17 PM »

No, it isn't lore-friendly at all.

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2019, 09:49:26 PM »

I've picked this mod up and made a few updates to it.

("omg i cant read any more i need to see it nao" ok.... https://github.com/davidwhitman/Active-Gates/tree/wisp)

Main change:
- Now requires 500 metal, 250 heavy machinery, and 1 gamma core
- Source code is now in Kotlin, did a little cleanup in it, and added an IntelliJ project

Smoothing of rough edges:
- Shows system name instead of system id
- Tells you how much metal and machinery you have in your cargo
- Doesn't dismiss the dialog when you do something other than jump successfully, allows you to go back in the dialog
- Shows how much fuel it'll take to jump somewhere

I just started learning to mod SS today, so I don't really know how much is feasible.
The main request seems to be to be able to select more than just the five closest locations, but not much consensus on what the best solution is. More ideas? I'm not entirely sure where to take this, but I ended up lategame frustrated by how much time I was flying through hyperspace storms and decided that it'd be really nice to have a mod for fast travel.

I should note that I tend to not finish side projects that I start, so take this for what it is currently - a very slightly more polished version of Active Gates.
Also, this is working off the assumption that Toast isn't planning on working on this any more. If he wants to step in and use my changes or take over, that's totally fine.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 02:23:06 PM by Wispborne »
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 10:36:35 AM »

Update:
- All activated gates are now available as possible destinations using a paged selection list, not just the five closest.

Screenshots
Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 11:43:40 AM by Wispborne »
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

toast

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 01:06:13 PM »

Wispborne -- looks like you're making good progress; want to take over this mod?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 01:08:30 PM by toast »

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2019, 01:48:15 PM »

Hey toast. I can't promise that I won't lose interest and disappear, that's my main concern. I've only been playing Starsector for a week :P

But yeah - with these changes, it's probably already in good enough shape for a 0.9a release and it'd be cool to see if anybody has any input on where the mod should go next, especially around balancing and lore-friendliness.

Would you want to make me a contributor on the github project?
My thinking right now is to have this as a 1.0 release of the mod (because it's a functional MVP), update master's mod_info so anyone running the mod gets a notification, and maybe when there's time, you can edit the OP so that the download link points to the latest release on github? (https://api.github.com/repos/ken-c/Active-Gates/releases/latest, doesn't exist yet).

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2019, 05:22:20 PM »

Considering the convenience factor of gates plus the availability of Gamma Cores (relatively speaking), may I submit including Transplutonics (power) and Volatiles (coolant) as materials needed to reactivate a Gate? I think they should be a bit inconvenient to activate.

Metals & machinery are things nearly every fleet will have on hand due to combat salvage (in machinery's case, also for surveying). Transplutonics & Volatile you have to plan to carry in most cases.

toast

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2019, 06:00:39 PM »

Wispborne -- that's ok if you aren't sure you want to take over. 

>Would you want to make me a contributor on the github project?
Sure!

Let's start with a pull request for your changes.  Once that's merged, we can update the mod_info and set up the download link.

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2019, 06:06:39 PM »

@StahnAileron
Good points. Here's my thinking right now.

Overall goal: Reduce the tedium of dodging hyperspace storms for the 100th time between systems you visit often.

Goal: Not available early game.
Maybe require the player to go to the fridge of the sector in order to be able to activate gates at all.
Maybe have a fleet that must be defeated as a power level check.

Goal: Avoid making the sector feel too small. Alex has mentioned that being forced to travel through hyperspace is one of the few things that keeps the sector feeling large.
Maybe limit the player to only 5 active gates.
Maybe add a limit so a new gate may only be activated with x lightyears of another active gate.

@toast Sounds great. PR incoming.

toast

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2019, 06:12:10 PM »

Wispborne -- do you have any links to setting up a dev environment with Kotlin?  I don't know anything about that language and was just following Kazi's IntelliJ IDEA tutorial (http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=10057.0).

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2019, 06:16:27 PM »

It should be "straightforward" (as much as coding ever is) using IntelliJ. Make sure you have the Kotlin plugin installed in IntelliJ, then open one of the `.kt` files. Maybe it'll tell you that the project isn't configured for kotlin and do it for you (in theory it already is but who knows).

Are you on the SS unofficial Discord chat? My name over there is Wisp.

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 10:51:06 AM »

@Toast
I've created a v1.0.0 release with a zip, but can't test it right now since I'm at work.
https://github.com/ken-c/Active-Gates/releases/latest
I'll try and get to testing it when I get home, or if you want you're welcome to make sure it works as expected.

Once that's verified, the OP should be updated to point to https://github.com/ken-c/Active-Gates/releases/latest. Now that the branch is merged in, people are going to be getting a notification in-game via Version Checker that v1.0.0 is available.

edit: I just gave the github release a whirl and it seems fine, I managed not to mess up creating a zip file :)

One thing I just noticed is that the `/lib` folder must be in the .gitignore, because it's not getting committed. That folder contains the kotlin runtime library, which is needed to compile the project.
I'll have to build out a section of the readme on how to set up an environment to compile this anyway, so I can figure it out then.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 02:29:57 PM by Wispborne »

toast

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a] Active Gates 0.2.0
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2019, 06:17:39 PM »

Wispborne -- thanks for the updates.  I've updated the OP.  Please commit the lib folder when you have some spare cycles.

Ballagarraidh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a] Active Gates 0.2.0
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2019, 06:48:36 AM »

First of all, love the mod and I congratulate you on the good work you've done! This is a really good mod, it makes traveling less tedious especially on routes you frequent. I do have a couple of suggestions and thoughts, if you'll have them.

First is that the Mod Index has not updated the tag for this mod and still displays it for 0.8.1a which is not too helpful, maybe consider updating/asking them to update that. Secondly, would it be possible for say, merchant convoys and patrols to make use of said gates, I feel this would be a challenge, so it's alright otherwise. Lastly, the concern over vanilla friendliness, the mod in its entirety is not really vanilla friendly, as the gates are intentionally made inactive. Nonetheless, really good mod and good job.

link for source of lore: http://fractalsoftworks.com/2011/02/21/the-state-of-affairs/

It's a bit dated, so things might've changed, but it's still applicable. To summarize, humans had a really huge hold of the galaxy, and they built gates connecting different -sectors- of said galaxy. They would colonize any planet without much fuss because they could terraform all of them to be habitable anyway. However, when a prisoner named "Ludd" crossed the gates to the Persean Sector, all the gates closed. Most of the Persean Sector still relied on the aid of the Human Domain, as it was called, but they thought that they'd eventually bring the gates back online, and so they waited. Waited for the supplies to continue terraforming their half-baked colonies, for the influx of new technologies, for military support and whatnot. But the gates never went online again. 207(?) years later and that's when we start playing the game.

Cheers! And those are all my thoughts on it, good luck!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4