Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]

Author Topic: .8 feedback thread  (Read 103682 times)

sectorfan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: .8 feedback thread
« Reply #390 on: July 01, 2017, 09:18:58 AM »

Right, so I thought I'd give the suggestion to just play with a new character with Hegemony commission at start.  Going alright at 49/100, but then a stupid pirate in a hound keeps escaping every encounter.  Using either eburns or substained burn.  Now, the AI has NO problem spamming interdiction pulses on me throughout the game.  But heaven forbid I do it once with a fellow Hegemony near by... nope, instant -1 reputation and pirate still gets away.

Sorry, just not my kind of game anymore.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 01, 2017, 09:40:52 AM »

I thought Alex said small fleets (or in your case a single ship) wouldn't or couldn't IP a larger fleet. ???

sectorfan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 01, 2017, 09:54:17 AM »

The pirate didn't IP me, I had a small fleet of 6 or so ships.  I tried to IP the pirate who kept getting away and there was a Hegemony near by me at the time.  But I get hit by IP by "friendly" fleets all the time.  AI has no problems using it on me is my point.  But the first time I use it and I get a -1 rep.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 01, 2017, 10:09:41 AM »

AI spamming IP is about as annoying as AI spamming "Gank Burn" in 0.7.x.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 01, 2017, 04:01:15 PM »

I thought Alex said small fleets (or in your case a single ship) wouldn't or couldn't IP a larger fleet. ???
Either it is bugged or not working as advertised as my end game fleet gets interdicted all the time by tiny and weak ass shuttle fleets. And while yes, I don't get stunned in place but I do lose active SB and it is forced into a cooldown
Meanwhile, my 1.5K sensor range fleet can't do the same to said shuttle fleets

Also, the fact that we can't see the range until we turn it on, and can't stop it once it starts, really irks me as well...
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 02, 2017, 01:37:47 AM »

Could IP work with two button presses, like the Transponder does? So, a prime on an initial press (which would reveal the range and perhaps highlight nearby fleets which are likely to be affected by the pulse), then actually activated on a second press.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 02, 2017, 02:13:52 AM »

Could IP work with two button presses, like the Transponder does? So, a prime on an initial press (which would reveal the range and perhaps highlight nearby fleets which are likely to be affected by the pulse), then actually activated on a second press.

Could also show expected effect magnitude on fleets around.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 09, 2017, 08:38:41 AM »

I'd actually like it if Emergency Burn didn't cost CR, or cost a lot less.

It's almost unusably expensive, as much as a whole-fleet combat deployment in many cases.

How about instead of a set CR cost it drains CR slowly while active and can be toggled on and off? Has that been considered yet?  (I wouldn't mind if it had its fuel cost brought back in as well, though I do understand the reasons that was removed.)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 09, 2017, 08:54:36 AM »

(I wouldn't mind if it had its fuel cost brought back in as well, though I do understand the reasons that was removed.)
What?!  Emergency Burn still burns fuel to activate.

I'd actually like it if Emergency Burn didn't cost CR, or cost a lot less.
That is what the Safety Procedures 3 perk does, along with halving (D) mod penalties.  (I would get Safety Procedures 3 for the (D)-mod penalty mitigation alone.)  Even without CR loss, Emergency Burn hurts too much to use.  The worst part of Emergency Burn is blocking Sustained Burn until EB fully recharges.  The fuel cost also hurts, especially if you have a big fleet and no Navigation 2 perk.

The main use of Emergency Burn today is to ignore terrain, like overcoming solar winds when trying to dock with something good in a system.  (Not very useful for escaping hyperspace storms due to a second or two of delay waiting for Sustained Burn to deactivate before Emergency Burn takes effect.)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 09:02:10 AM by Megas »

Althaea

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 09, 2017, 09:34:39 AM »

Emergency burn is good for anything where you need a sudden burst of agility and speed, really. Sustained burn does not have that - it takes precious moments to charge up during which you are quite visible, acceleration is slow and turning is horrible.

How much utility this has can vary - it is very useful for pirate types to run down merchants (who may be charging up their sustained burn or have been interdicted), though.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 09, 2017, 09:54:11 AM »

Emergency burn is good for anything where you need a sudden burst of agility and speed, really. Sustained burn does not have that - it takes precious moments to charge up during which you are quite visible, acceleration is slow and turning is horrible.
For someone who has Sustained Burn on at nearly all times, using Emergency Burn hurts because it paralyzes the fleet for about a second or two before EB kicks in, then it is better agility at significantly slower top speed for a few seconds, then EB ends and neither EB nor SB can be used for a few more seconds.  EB practically kills speed and eats more resources (CR and fuel) on top of that.  EB is a raw deal.

SB has bad acceleration/turning, that is its only weakness, and it is usually minor.  Simply toggling it (deactivate then reactivate a moment later) is usually enough to get more agility.

The only time I find EB useful now is to ignore solar wind while trying to catch an enemy fleet or trying to dock with a juicy (mission) object too close to a star.  That happens rarely.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 09, 2017, 03:47:31 PM »

(I wouldn't mind if it had its fuel cost brought back in as well, though I do understand the reasons that was removed.)
What?!  Emergency Burn still burns fuel to activate.

Well, I loaded Starsector back up to check, and... yeah.  Sorry.  Not sure how I missed that.  I was sure I'd read somewhere that the fuel cost had been removed, but obviously not.

Oh well - shows how often I use E-burn nowadays.  I'd consider it if I had the skill that makes it not cost CR, I think it would be useful then, but as it is, just no.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 09, 2017, 06:53:30 PM »

What was removed from EB in 0.8.1 is movement penalties from terrain.  In theory, this might be useful.  However, given how transition from SB to EB slows the fleet down and then both EB and SB cannot be used while EB charges, EB is usually a power-up letdown.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]