Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: AI Ship Backs off/Retreats infinitely  (Read 2143 times)

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
AI Ship Backs off/Retreats infinitely
« on: June 28, 2017, 04:12:40 PM »

So, something i cant seem to reliably reproduce causes ships to just freeze in some state that causes them to back off, infinitely. usually in a straight line. they wont respond to getting shot at, they wont respond to any enemy presence - The only thing i have been able to do to fix them is to disable their engines. when the engines come back online they seem capable of maneuvering again. The mora in this video should be under the "Reckless" officer personality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qL-kqox7zo&feature=youtu.be

( the video is 7 minutes long showing that at no point did it fix itself )

I was reluctant to post this as i had only seen it once before in the AI vs AI tournament setting, but i have seen it twice now on the mora you see there, and even once during a fight in the campaign-  here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrC9xNJYt4A&feature=youtu.be

I'm not sure what to say, really. heres my mods list, anyway:
Spoiler
[close]

ST_CustomPortraits is a mod that adds a single portrait i have disabled, and "Visible Bombs" is a mod that only contains an image replacement for the piranha's bomb.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 04:14:35 PM by StarSchulz »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: AI Ship Backs off/Retreats infinitely
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 11:53:24 AM »

Thanks - I'll keep an eye out for this. If you manage to figure out how to make it happen more reliably, that'd be really helpful.

(Could be caused by the BACK_OFF flag being set for the AI for an extended duration, so it's not 100% clear whether it's a vanilla issue or from a mod. Could definitely be vanilla, though.)

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 10:33:18 AM »

OK - I've got something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx9gx0C7rDo&feature=youtu.be

Somehow, these Moras freeze, just like that. It only happens when using the time acceleration / deceleration feature in the tournament mission - which uses the same code as phase ships. Otherwise they slowly drift toward eachother and move close enough to be in weapon range and fight normally.

The only time it EVER replicated in the campaign, i was piloting a phase ship. So - i think it *MAY* have something to do with that.

The Moras there are very strange, because if you remove the expanded missile racks and add in capacitors/vents, they act perfectly normally. no weapon range changes, and they fight. Neither ship responds to orders, and wont respond to the full retreat order.

another thought, the only ships i have seen affected had safety overrides.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 10:42:12 AM by StarSchulz »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 06:19:40 PM »

That's just odd, hmm. But probably not the same thing as the OP. I think this is possibly to do with the time acceleration feature, which can mess with the combat engine. It generally works but the simulation fidelity is not the same. Phase ships are different in that they never speed up overall engine time but rather slow it down, which the engine is meant to handle.