Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aurora chasing frigates  (Read 1213 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Aurora chasing frigates
« on: June 26, 2017, 05:44:49 PM »

I've been having a lot of trouble with Aurora's chasing frigates for minutes on end. It seems that maybe they think they can catch them because of their movement system? It is attempting to chase SO Lashers that are moving at 220 speed (shields up) while the Aurora has 80 speed (shields up).

I'll try to make an easily reproduced scenario - this is coming up in Tartiflette's tournament so while all the ships are in the base game the total set of mods installed is extensive.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora chasing frigates
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 06:31:26 PM »

Alright, but ... I'm not sure this qualifies as a bug. If it's, say, turning around to face a Lasher while a larger ship is shooting it in the back, yeah, that's a problem.

If it's merely deciding to chase a frigate around because it's the nearest/most convenient target, that's something else. It's not as simple as "cruisers prefer larger targets than frigates" because then they'll get more easily flanked and this could lead to reduced survivability. In the player's hands, this behavior is resolved through orders, if necessary.

I can see how it'd be an issue in the tournament, but it's running up against a scenario that's explicitly not designed for - the AI functioning in an AI vs AI situation, with no ship under player control, and no orders being given.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora chasing frigates
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 07:24:18 PM »

Thanks for the reply, I've started a suggestion thread for further discussion away from bug reports: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12743.0