Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Drawing [REDACTED] Battlestations, part 1  (Read 15375 times)

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Drawing [REDACTED] Battlestations, part 1
« on: June 24, 2017, 01:22:57 PM »

WARNING

Blog post here.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
Re: Drawing [REDACTED] Battlestations, part 1
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 01:37:39 PM »

comment thread here link doesn't work.

lovely post though, always fun to see the BTS stuff from years ago
mmm.... tartiflette

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 01:39:20 PM »

Hopefully the Quartermaster has clearance level ALABASTER, otherwise I'm gonna have a nice talk with the fleet commander. :)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
  • Looking right into your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 01:41:37 PM »

I love this!

Pretty smart to use the stations as side encounters to "test" them to see if they were fun enough instead of implementing them in such a way that encountering them is inevitable.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 01:45:59 PM »

I will now accept the criticism that this ended up making the Derelict Mothership a bit boxy.
I don't see how the Derelict Mothership being boxy can be a point of criticism. It's a factory that manufactures space boxes, so it's thematic if it's also a space box.
Where we’ll also find out just how many times I restarted the design for the Remnant Battlestation before finding something I liked, and only later realizing that it was in fact a giant Tri-Tachyon logo bristling with guns and artificial malevolence.
And I love it because of that. It's exactly the sort of thing Tri-Tachyon would design.

cpmartins

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 01:57:56 PM »

I loved everything about it. I also like how a Tri-Tachion Battle-station looks like the company logo, something a megacorp would absolutely do for promotional purposes, and damn any concerns of viability!

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 02:04:06 PM »

Wow, i really hadn't looked at the [REDACTED] Battlestation that way. that's actually pretty cool.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 02:43:46 PM »

Good read, thanks for the post!

We’ve already established a bunch of different station aesthetics with the campaign-level side-view stations. This begs the question of being able to fight all of those stations in battle, each with their varied aesthetics and sizes. Would it be plausible to roll out an entire set of (very large) sprites and modules to roughly fit all of those at the same time as a completely new set of station battle mechanics? Maybe-sorta.

I'm thinking, if (in combat) you see these different stations from the top, they'd probably not look all that different from each other. As you said, to have interesting variability is the entire point of drawing them sideways in the campaign. You could probably have a central section that would be an entire small station, and then some ring layers to turn it into a medium or big station. That would have the added benefit that (player?-) stations could be enlarged as the campaign progresses.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 04:10:37 PM »

Kinda sucks that the mega station of doom never made it in as something like that was what I was hoping station fights would be, but these current fights though are a blast as well
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 07:24:28 PM »

I have to admit, I was expecting the battlestations to be larger! But reading the blog has made it clear that there'd be serious performance issues going that large—ah well.

I assume each major faction will eventually have its own unique battlestation design—you looking forward to drawing them all, David? Hahah! :)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 09:41:27 PM »

That giant battlestation with all the concentric rings does look fun, though.  Surely there's some way to break it down into reasonably-sized repeating sections rather than make the thing one ridiculous monolithic texture?
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 09:43:07 PM »

That giant battlestation with all the concentric rings does look fun, though.  Surely there's some way to break it down into reasonably-sized repeating sections rather than make the thing one ridiculous monolithic texture?
I THINK that would not make a difference as I think it already was made up of several parts

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 10:05:46 PM »

That giant battlestation with all the concentric rings does look fun, though.  Surely there's some way to break it down into reasonably-sized repeating sections rather than make the thing one ridiculous monolithic texture?
As the great David said:
(*Mod-makers, of course, have made no such implicit commitment and can do all sorts of crazy things that bring even the mightiest gaming machine to a shuddering crawl.)
For vanilla, not possible.  But for some crazy-ass mod, definitely, with the proper knowledge. :) Though to be honest, a giant rotating station with multiple layers of defense to get down to the core to disable energy to it's weapon systems would have been possibly the most epic fight I've ever fought.  Destroy each layer in detail or try to punch of a hole through each layer in the same spot to catch a fleeting glimpse of the core and get a torpedo in there all Star Wars exhaust-shaft style.  Not only would it be simply an epic battle, but it would be the epic battle that marked the peak of the entire game.  Or perhaps the end of a grand story line if there ever existed one - a rouge alpha or perhaps a more powerful AI jamming the gates of the sector hidden away in a dark, unknown star system pimped out with it's own battlestation worthy of a coalition to destroy it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 10:26:43 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 11:53:59 PM »

Wouldn't player just blow that up near instantly with Hyperion/Afflictor? Assuming there is sufficient gap to materialize in.
I suppose stations could have anti teleportation/phase fields to prevent that...

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 12:23:50 AM »

Wouldn't player just blow that up near instantly with Hyperion/Afflictor? Assuming there is sufficient gap to materialize in.
I suppose stations could have anti teleportation/phase fields to prevent that...
You can't unphase or teleport into the middle of a ship, even something like a paragon, so I doun't you could do the same with a superstation

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too
Pages: [1] 2