Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Witness is frickin' amazing.  (Read 2311 times)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
The Witness is frickin' amazing.
« on: June 23, 2017, 07:34:13 PM »

So much work must have gone into the puzzle & level design; the two come together seamlessly to create a compelling visual masterpiece.

As much of the challenge is in learning (being taught by the game) the rules of the puzzles, it's hard to say much more without spoilers.

Most similar to Talos Principle or The Turing Test, though far more challenging than either.

60% off atm if you own Braid, and buy The Witness + Braid bundle.
(Kind of amazing that the same guy could pump out two such fantastic puzzlers.)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 07:42:15 PM by TJJ »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: The Witness is frickin' amazing.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 04:35:58 AM »

So much work must have gone into the puzzle & level design; the two come together seamlessly to create a compelling visual masterpiece.

With that much I can agree. As a game though, The Witness left me strangely cold. There is no real sense of mystery or danger,  and the challenges all feel very artificial. It's basically a walking simulator with "Sudokus" thrown in.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The Witness is frickin' amazing.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 08:20:18 AM »

With that much I can agree. As a game though, The Witness left me strangely cold. There is no real sense of mystery or danger,  and the challenges all feel very artificial. It's basically a walking simulator with "Sudokus" thrown in.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
I found the lack of danger a relaxing change of pace (having just finished Doom[2016] on Nightmare, this was welcome).

Didn't feel there was a lack of mystery though; the levels are absolutely riddled with secrets (heck, a full ~10% of the game's content is hidden behind two rather obtuse secrets!), and then there's the thought provoking quotes & movies littered around.
I suppose it has no story to speak of; something that Talos Principle did really well.

The aspect I appreciated most was the way many of the puzzles tied into the environment; solutions relying upon clues in the environment, solutions affecting environmental change, or (in the case of the glyphs) the environment itself becoming the puzzle.