Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Derelicts out on the frontier: Where did they come from, where did they go?  (Read 2219 times)

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile

When you start a new campaign and venture forth outside the core worlds, you find yourself amidst a wild frontier, few come out here, and there's always stuff to find.

My question is: The derelict ships you find out here, the regular ones, ruined tankers, shuttles, frigates etc. You can even find large clusters of them around any abandoned gates you find, and some of those ships are recoverable. I'm pretty sure the game didn't have a captain fly out there and die individually so that the player can find their wrecks later on, so what spawns them? Is there a list?

I would like to make a mod that adds ships to that list, how can I go about that?

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile

Derelicts have two sources, battle and proc-gen. The first will occasionally spawn a derelict when a ship is destroyed, the second seeds the outer reaches of the sector with goodies. The tutorial is an exception; it is scripted.

Making a list is probably doable, but I can't see the use outside of debug. In addition, it would probably be pretty laggy if you did it a lot.

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile

Proc gen is what I'm talking about, I'd like to add ships to the list of things that can be spawned with it, so that instead of just being vanilla ships, there are sometimes other ships you can find.

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile

Mod-added ships definitely have a chance to spawn as procgen'd derelicts. I think it draws them from the .faction files of the vanilla factions (same list that determines what the faction sells and what their fleets are made up of)

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Where did you come from, Derelict Joe?

:V

And wait, proc-gen derelicts are only vanilla ships?

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile

Mod-added ships definitely have a chance to spawn as procgen'd derelicts. I think it draws them from the .faction files of the vanilla factions (same list that determines what the faction sells and what their fleets are made up of)

Is there a way to add a faction to that? as opposed to just the vanilla factions? I'd rather the vanilla factions not wind up flying these things around if I can avoid it.