Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Dominator not using Hellbore/forward hardpoints bug  (Read 2926 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Dominator not using Hellbore/forward hardpoints bug
« on: June 17, 2017, 12:47:30 AM »

A particular Dominator variant really doesn't want to fire its Hellbore cannon or its other forward gun (Heavy autocannon). This is usually happening when the enemy is overloaded, but not always. Another observation that seems a bug: The ship never puts its forward hardpoints onto autofire, ever, so it won't fire its two main guns at the same time or keep up fire with either when its 'thinking' about firing missiles.

I don't think this is a mod issue, as this is in the simulator and the variant I'm using has only normal weapons, but I do have three mods enabled: Nexerelin, Ship and Weapon Pack, and Lazylib.

This is the variant. Weapon groups are the default auto groups, except that the Reapers have been set to linked. (Groups can also be seen in the combat pictures below). Officer is Steady with missile spec 3, evasive action 3, and impact mitigation 2.
Spoiler

[close]

This is in the simulator against the Outdated Enforcer, where I got it to reproduce most of the time. The Enforcer is overloaded but the only weapon group active is number 4, so the ship is firing a single railgun instead of either of its forward guns. It has no flux built up and max dissipation. At first I thought it might be concerned about missing because of the maneuverability of the target and the slow shot speeds, but thats not the case below.
Spoiler

[close]
The image shows the Dominator going after a Punisher (Ship and Weapon Pack) in the simulator which is overloaded. The same situation as before, only now it is definitely going to hit if it fires the Hellbore.
Spoiler

[close]

[Edit] I just split up the hardpoints (heavy mortars) on a Balanced Hammerhead into two seperate groups and they show the same issue: they never are put on autofire, so they never fire at the same time or when the ship is thinking about its missiles.

[Double Edit] Actually, looking at my screenshots above, in both cases the Dominator has its Reaper group active like its "thinking" about firing missiles but it doesn't. This combined with the "no hardpoints on autofire" might be whats causing it to just not fire at the target? Because the target is overloaded it thinks its vulnerable to missiles, but then doesn't fire because of the target's maneuverability? I've sometimes noticed that the Dominator will "snap out of it" right as the target finishes its overload and puts up its shields - the missiles are not longer hogging the active fire group?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:51:49 AM by Thaago »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Dominator not using Hellbore/forward hardpoints bug
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 01:19:09 AM »

From what I've seen, only beams can autofire from hardpoints (mixing hardpoint weapons and turrets in same group provides inconclusive results).
If you have 2 separate hardpoint groups (Hellbore and MarkIX), Dominator will at best awkwardly switch between them, failing to exploit enemy hard-flux buildup.
I guess adding missiles to manual-only category leads to even worse behaviors.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 01:23:56 AM by TaLaR »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 01:21:58 PM »

(Marking this unread, will take a look when I get back from vacation :))

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 06:54:10 PM »

Took a look - turns out there was a bug where it wasn't properly calculating whether a hardpoint weapon group is "small" (and so should autofire). One of those copy-paste errors; was in theory computing the total weight of all weapons on the ship but in actuality just adding that number to the weight of the group being considered. Fixed!

mehgamer

• Lieutenant
  • TTK is not representative of combat performance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 07:04:47 PM »

Took a look - turns out there was a bug where it wasn't properly calculating whether a hardpoint weapon group is "small" (and so should autofire). One of those copy-paste errors; was in theory computing the total weight of all weapons on the ship but in actuality just adding that number to the weight of the group being considered. Fixed!

Is is possible this is also responsible for the troubles I've been having over in the other thread?
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12486.msg215954#msg215954

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 07:13:02 PM »

Seems unlikely - that's not related to ship facing (at least, not directly/obviously), and I couldn't reproduce the issue prior to putting in the autofire fix here.

mehgamer

• Lieutenant
  • TTK is not representative of combat performance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 07:49:12 PM »

That's unfortunate.  This is such a strange thing.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 08:11:34 PM »

Welcome back from vacation. :) Thanks!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 08:44:11 PM »

That's unfortunate.  This is such a strange thing.

Yeah, it's super odd. If anything else comes to mind re: reproducing it, please let me know!

Welcome back from vacation. :)

Thank you :)