Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Has anyone ever tried a traditional cloaking subsystem?  (Read 3071 times)

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
Has anyone ever tried a traditional cloaking subsystem?
« on: June 15, 2017, 02:32:53 PM »

As opposed to phase cloaking, which renders you invulnerable, but otherwise visible, I'm talking something that renders you vulnerable, but invisible to all ships on the tactical map.

Ideally it should disable soft-flux venting and generate a small ammount of soft flux while active, in addition to disabling weapons and shields. The user would still be affected by objects and weapons fire, and once disengaged it would ideally require a cooldown before re-engaging. The bonus would be total secrecy from any enemy on the tactical grid, allowing you to maneuver in for flanking shots and surprise attacks.

Would this even be possible in the game engine? I've never seen a precedent for visual detection ranges.

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone ever tried a traditional cloaking subsystem?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 05:27:48 PM »

I'd start by checking the ShipAPI and MutableStatsAPI to see if there is a relevant method.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 05:51:04 PM »

This sounds like its 90% an AI thing, actually.

You need to figure out how to make the ship invisible/almost invisible, graphically, which I imagine is possible, unless it is hard coded as a part of phase shift.

The issue is making AI ships ignore the cloaked ship while it is cloaked. Ships clearly react to phased ships, and even fire at them with lightweight weapons.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 08:23:51 PM »

that's baaasically what the long-ranged teleport is, only instant...
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

PyroFuzz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 08:33:16 PM »

I feel like that's a really great idea!
If your cloaked you would be invisible but the area around your ship would be distorted so that you could sorta see it.

There could even be a hull mod to be able to see cloaked ships.
Hello!

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 12:58:54 PM »

Not really possible without building a custom AI.

Guess it's good that mine's almost ready for prime time again.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 04:01:23 PM »

Thinking about it, there is a fog of war, and the AI isn't aware of things that are outside of their radar range in combat, so I imagine you cooould script in a mod that makes it so a certain kind of phase cloak artificially tells enemy AI that your ship is outside of their view distance, and therefor they don't know where it is
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 07:17:42 PM »

Thinking about it, there is a fog of war, and the AI isn't aware of things that are outside of their radar range in combat, so I imagine you cooould script in a mod that makes it so a certain kind of phase cloak artificially tells enemy AI that your ship is outside of their view distance, and therefor they don't know where it is

Sounds a bit too complicated for my blood.

Mongreal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 04:40:02 AM »

Hmm, when I was playing with missiles and collisionClass, it seems that using the class "None" make the missiles virtually invisible to weapons, but the AI still try to shield/dodge it, but that make it invulnerable just like phasing.
For the visibility, phase cloak play with the Alpha (opacity) of the sprite, which can easily be set to 0 (fully transparent).