Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: strange glitch :(  (Read 7079 times)

Mechanist

• Ensign
    • View Profile
strange glitch :(
« on: June 13, 2017, 07:46:50 PM »

Hi all, im having this issue since 0.8a (not in 0.8 ) but i think its mostly because more mods added and not cause versions (ill explain later)

The time it takes to trigger varies depending on how much mods i have running so that draws me to think it has to do something with memory, and the fact that i tested extensively creating new games over and over again with a varied setup of mods (the only ones that were every time is lazylib and graphicslib, and turning "off" graph from its config file did in fact extend a bit the time, the glitch still eventually happen)
i have tested with different changes in vparams from vanilla to 5g of memory but seems to not be a memory shortage (but i really dont know as ive seen threads of people claiming 5gb is not enough) still dont seems to delay or speed the trigger of the bug (side note: with the glich on, im really happy that trough my testing i found that the java64 with came preinstalled and vanilla vparams sustained a heavy modded 3 hours long run of testing, without even lag a bit)
I do have tryed making my video card foce some configs over java and starsector.exe for testing, and i deinstalled that changes cause dont work, i have changed "enableScriptCaching" "processMessagesWhileSavingOrLoading", i have switched different versions of java, but most of testing were done with a clean game install and mostly new and redownloaded mods

The glitch: is a graphic or texture glitch (pics below) that always triggers on save or load, but not on every save or load, and once started, dont lag, dont crash, and dont freeze the game at all, and even if i wanted not minding about it and keep playing, it makes most text and cargo unreadable with a mostly white semi transparent overlay, and i say mostly cause some text becomes black, and textures are outlined with colors (squares over things like asteroids and jump points) but i do think that has something to do with text, as text in the normal game is white, but the text in combat mode is green, and when the bug is present, the semi transparent overlay is green, or yellow as in refit screen

I deleted a lot of images, but these are from the last testing that is most up to date, but the bug is the same

notice the overlay in the asteroids and that big white rectangle that i dont remember from non glitched game
Spoiler
[close]

this is what makes the game "unplayable" no text and no images from items
Spoiler
[close]

the colors of overlays are not always the same and sometimes change even during movement, or changing menus but not on a paused game when i dont do anything
Spoiler
[close]

sometimes some guns or parts of the multipart hulls seems normal but notice the yellow text
Spoiler
[close]

and yellow overlay then
Spoiler
[close]

combat is mostly normal, but do notice the weapons in slot 1 & 2 are set to not auto, and still are bright green indication box, is the most noticeable part of the overlay in combat mode other than a little more thick text that is a little uncomfortable to look
Spoiler
[close]

escape screen on combat green as the text of combat
Spoiler
[close]

in some situations seems trippy
Spoiler
[close]

It happened to me from 0.8a release, and i was trying to solve it myself and then post a "how to" but i dont managed to fix it, and for once i wanted to stop coming to the forums to bother as the last 2 major releases of the game (sice 0.65 i think) i had a similar problem but was on other totally different pc and i dont wanted to do it again
I had a fun time when first diable released for 0.8 with no bugs, but mostly i havent play a playable game from a really long time and i really miss this game

My specs: i7-4771 3.5, 8gb ram, nvidia gtx650, win7
I am avaliable for testing or try out things as is not one of those bugs that crashes the game, or i someone want to see how the end of the map looks on bug drugs
And im sorry and apologize for my terrible english and writting and all the sadness i must be emanating right now

edit: more specs
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 09:26:23 PM by Mechanist »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: strange glitch :(
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 08:05:52 PM »

Hey - quick question, are you running with GraphicsLib? If so: can you try disabling it through its settings file, to see if that changes anything?

Also: are your graphics drivers up-to-date?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 08:08:24 PM »

The time it takes to trigger varies depending on how much mods i have running so that draws me to think it has to do something with memory, and the fact that i tested extensively creating new games over and over again with a varied setup of mods (the only ones that were every time is lazylib and graphicslib, and turning "off" graph from its config file did in fact extend a bit the time, the glitch still eventually happen
Alex, looks like he did try turning it off in the file
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Mechanist

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 08:13:23 PM »

Also: are your graphics drivers up-to-date?
yes, and i mean, during a time i wasnt updating as nvidia only bother with games config crap that i dont trust, but ive updated all to be sure that wasnt the problem

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 08:31:54 PM »

Ahh, I'm sorry, was in a bit of a rush just then and mostly skimmed. My bad.

Does it make a difference whether you run in fullscreen mode (i.e. with the checkbox checked) or just at maxed resolution, but with fullscreen unchecked? What about at a less-than-maximum resolution in windowed mode? And what about at a less than maximum resolution in fullscreen mode?

(I don't think this is java or memory related - this looks very much like a graphics driver issue. Not impossible also that something else running on your PC could be interfering.)

Mechanist

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 08:40:41 PM »

Ahh, I'm sorry, was in a bit of a rush just then and mostly skimmed. My bad.

Does it make a difference whether you run in fullscreen mode (i.e. with the checkbox checked) or just at maxed resolution, but with fullscreen unchecked? What about at a less-than-maximum resolution in windowed mode? And what about at a less than maximum resolution in fullscreen mode?

(I don't think this is java or memory related - this looks very much like a graphics driver issue. Not impossible also that something else running on your PC could be interfering.)
yes, i changed it when installed console commands mod, but the glitch still show up, now im playing on fullscreen as it seems that dont change anything for the bug, or the console commands
and i tested killing different process in my pc for runs, but im mostly sure i dont have abnormal process or even malware running hidden, as i have recently (when i already had the bug in prior versions) installed something that came with a cryptominer and became paranoid and started checking ports and process with enhanced task managers and such and runing few anti-malware and virus scans
i dont use steam/origin, or that sort of things

Mechanist

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 08:49:53 PM »

and i also think that is mostly a video issue, but my card isnt overheating and its clean (this last 15 years i cleaned my rig once every second month as where i live dust is everywhere) but im planning changing my card for a 1070 or a 1080 or amd to diversify, as is the weaker piece of my pc
if i cant fix this with other methods ill post here if changing card fixes the thing but i cant put a estimate time on when its goin to happen as my country is under a goverment that is *** everywhere and people is scared about what is goin to happen

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 09:11:06 PM »

AMD card... I would avoid them if at all possible as they have issues with Java games IIRC

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Mechanist

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 09:17:27 PM »

AMD card... I would avoid them if at all possible as they have issues with Java games IIRC
nice to know, thanks

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 12:06:36 AM »

Well, I've heard that nVidia cards have problems with either Java or LJWGL. Probably most of what we've seen are separate individual problems and we'll "know for sure" if either company has conflicting drivers or whatever when Starsector goes on Steam, famous et al.

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 05:25:03 AM »

I'd been getting this too. I fixed it disabling both GLib and Unknown Skies, but I didn't try them separately. I have a GTX 550 ti, so my guess is video memory.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 07:17:17 AM »

Well, I've heard that nVidia cards have problems with either Java or LJWGL. Probably most of what we've seen are separate individual problems and we'll "know for sure" if either company has conflicting drivers or whatever when Starsector goes on Steam, famous et al.
Actually I was wrong about AMD and java. AMD messes up on Open GL, which is still related to SS

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Mechanist

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 09:09:57 AM »

I'd been getting this too. I fixed it disabling both GLib and Unknown Skies, but I didn't try them separately. I have a GTX 550 ti, so my guess is video memory.
sometimes with glib turned off ir runs nice a longer time, but i still get the bug
i never used unknown skies
the nex time you get the glitch can take an upload some screens? im thinking that could be someting related on how the video card manages the text

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 02:07:51 AM »

Well I've not had it since, but it was pretty much exactly as in your screenshots.

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 11:45:43 PM »

i run the game using 970 strix and never had this issue... kinda funny looking tho it looks like a clown just decided to vomit all over the screen xD I honestly would wanna try to play the game like that for *** and giggles xD
Pages: [1] 2