Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: On some minor aspects of Industry  (Read 5666 times)

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: On some minor aspects of Industry
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 01:15:14 PM »

If this was done (I have no strong feelings on whether it should be, one way or the other), it would probably make more sense to assign ships a certain difficulty rating, so it'd run on the mechanic already established by abandoned stations and the Redacted. This would make the system a lot more flexible, particularly for modders. Ship size is the obvious factor, with frigates defaulting to a difficulty rating of 0%. Other factors might exist on a case-by-case basis, e.g. some or all low-tech ships might have a lower difficulty rating (so an Enforcer or Buffalo Mk. 2 might also have 0% while a Medusa would have 50% or more) or vice versa with high-tech ships having higher.

Yea, this could be a better way of doing it; as golum said in star trek, "size matters not"

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 05:51:00 PM »

I'd say level 1: frigates
Level 2: Cruisers and destroyers
Level 3: Caps

If this was done (I have no strong feelings on whether it should be, one way or the other), it would probably make more sense to assign ships a certain difficulty rating, so it'd run on the mechanic already established by abandoned stations and the Redacted. This would make the system a lot more flexible, particularly for modders. Ship size is the obvious factor, with frigates defaulting to a difficulty rating of 0%. Other factors might exist on a case-by-case basis, e.g. some or all low-tech ships might have a lower difficulty rating (so an Enforcer or Buffalo Mk. 2 might also have 0% while a Medusa would have 50% or more) or vice versa with high-tech ships having higher.
Why though? Why should one destroyer be more difficult to salvage than others when the devs themselves have stated that they don't do the low/mid/high tech ship hard categories anymore? And WHY does low tech need yet another damn buff?!
What I would do in that situation, IF I had to, would be that frigs start out unlocked and each skill level unlocks another size. HOWEVER, Alex has stated that he wants to create must have skills while he also wants salvaging and all that to be just as viable as buying a ship, if not more! That skill would go against both of those ideas
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Althaea

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2017, 10:36:32 PM »

Why though? Why should one destroyer be more difficult to salvage than others when the devs themselves have stated that they don't do the low/mid/high tech ship hard categories anymore? And WHY does low tech need yet another damn buff?!

a) I didn't know that and honestly you should not expect me to know that since the devs have both said a lot of things and that stuff isn't really properly indexed anywhere, b) the preceding clause was "on a case-by-case basis" anyway, rather than a hard division, and c) it doesn't, I'm purely going from a standpoint of "what makes sense." Since restoring a Hound to working order would probably be easier than doing the same with a Tempest or a Paragon.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 09:47:29 AM »

For gameplay/balance reasons the devs or modders might want certain ships to be less available to players who don't have commissions without first sinking the skills into salvage; it makes sense too.

But some should be unlocked at the beginning for sure, whether it's size or difficulty based.

It's so weird that your starting frigate can find an astral on dumb luck, immediately mothball it and take it home. The way that Escape Velocity/Endless Sky did it by tying recoverability odds to your fleet's crew strength vs the ships crew strength was a good approach. You had a chance of recovering a carrier even with only one frigate, the odds were just very, very low and the game presented them clearly.

in SS the only hurdle is a big unmanipulatable RNG of whether the ship is recoverable or not; that's about the only hurdle; after that it's too easy to recover/mothball. Escape Velocity had the RNG, but you could manipulate it by getting more crew.

Some sort of salvage difficult attribute for each ship could also at least require the player to have more  heavy machinery/accident risk/crew to actually recover the ship. Or if it went wrong the ship could turn into a debris field and you don't get full loot.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 09:52:17 AM »

Even mothballed, ship still needs fuel.  Unless your lone ship is a tanker, that capital will not go far.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 10:03:50 AM »

well, i totally spaced out on fuel. good point. I guess because even with fuel requirements it feels just a little bit too easy to mothball that thing and drift to the nearest inhabited system (should you be so lucky). The main challenge is still the RNG, which is totally off-limits to the player.
Pages: 1 [2]