Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I am completely floored by this game  (Read 3703 times)

BHunterSEAL

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
I am completely floored by this game
« on: February 26, 2012, 03:51:40 PM »

I'll be honest, I didn't know what to expect when I first heard of this. It was in, I believe, a thread on another website about two (then) upcoming space combat games, Space Pirates & Zombies and Starfarer. Being a big fan, I tried to get them both, but saw Starfarer was not out and bought SPAZ instead. Really a fantastic game and I recommend it to anyone that is enjoying Starfarer and wants to play a more complete game while they wait.

Maybe a week or so ago I picked up the alpha of this--it annoyed me that there was no demo because I ALWAYS try before I buy, but the descriptions looked nice and it was just $10 (I think?) so I took the plunge. Holy ***. This game is freakin' great. I mean it's obviously unfinished and the campaign is clearly a WIP but this thing blows my mind. Maybe it's because it's exactly what I've always wanted, sort of a melding of SPAZ, Mount & Blade, X3, and Escape Velocity. The battles are awesome and I can tell the campaign mode is shaping up to be sweet as well.

My advice to the devs: forget about working on battles & adding ships for no.  Battles are awesome and ship variety is fine. Get me a universe I can campaign around in, multiple systems, goods, built-out factions, etc., and I'm not sure I'll be able to leave my room for a week. Once you get that up-and-running, the modders will really have something to run with--obviously I'm sure you'd like to refine battles, add more ships, etc., before release, but right now I'm sure everyone is dying to have a playable campaign.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
Re: I am completely floored by this game
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 03:59:27 PM »

welcome to the forums! BhunterSEAL.

i had pretty much the same reaction when i saw WTF is Starfarer from totalbiscuit i immediately went and bought it, in fact if you look at the time i registered it is approximately 20 minutes after that video went up. :D and i'm with you a more fledged out campaign would be amazing and from what I've seen Alex is already working on that for the next release. as well as a bunch of bug fixes we managed to find in this release.
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 04:04:45 PM »

Me too - love the game.
Though I do wish the AI ships didn't run away all the time - even when they're winning! Ruins what could be some epic last-man-standing fights :'(

I hope multiplayer is on the todo list at some point.
Every game I play I keep imagining how awesome group vs group battles would be; each side with 1 player designated the admiral (performs the strategic orders), and the rest captains controlling just a single ship. (though with the ability to transfer as per the game atm)

I'd be so so awesome  ;D

Acewing13

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 04:20:48 PM »

tb brought me here too.  :D Multiplayer would be awesome, though it might be difficult to carry out.

Psygnosis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 05:15:58 PM »

I gotta agree with the whole "enough ships, more space" vibe.

Though i wouldnt mind seeing more indepth factions (faction specific ships too)

Missions/contracts from stations.

TRADING. (bring back Elite! lol)

Combat as it is. is fairly impressive to start with i wouldnt like it to get overly complex otherwise you begin to narrow your audience. ship count is good for newbies atm though from the look of things fighters/bombers cap off very early.

More space, certainly.

weed33

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 09:37:51 AM »

(faction specific ships too)

That's already kinda in, since when have you ever seen the tri-tachyons with an onslaught or the Hegemony with tempests?

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 02:04:02 PM »

(faction specific ships too)

That's already kinda in, since when have you ever seen the tri-tachyons with an onslaught or the Hegemony with tempests?

yes! but only because they were captured in battle XD
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.