Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Favorite Weapon  (Read 4224 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Favorite Weapon
« on: February 26, 2012, 07:37:09 PM »

I was just wondering what people's favorite weapons are, or what weapon combos they like to put on ships.

I've recently come to fall in love with the humble PD Laser (not LR). Nearly useless without advanced optics, but if you make that investment they become amazing, in my opinion better than any other small mount point defense! They pack the same punch as tactical lasers and cost the same (5 points), but can target missiles, have a faster track speed, and only use 50 flux - very important on a standard wolf. All my Medusa's are equipped with 5 of these on the turrets - almost immune to missiles and they pack enough punch to help in a slugfest.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
Re: Favorite Weapon
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 07:51:31 PM »

i gotta go with either the pulse laser or the Scatter PD laser ( junk pirates mod) its like a extremely inaccurate laser machinegun  and it is awesome :D
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

CoffeeMage06

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 08:29:35 PM »

I've gotta go with the heavy blaster and antimatter blaster. Just love the sounds and the feel, "Take the shot!" crossed with pew pew's big brother. The fact that they wreck anything below cruiser after a couple volleys helps too  :D

Trigerhappi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 10:10:51 PM »

Probably the Tachyon Lance. It is just a purple beam of death. Four of them on my Paragon means that frigates are getting one-shotted across the field.

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 10:20:03 PM »

Hellbore Cannon.  Such a savage weapon.  Especially when they are lined up on an overloaded ship and you are screaming "FIRE! FIRE!".

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 02:57:01 AM »

Hellbore Cannon.  Such a savage weapon.  Especially when they are lined up on an overloaded ship and you are screaming "FIRE! FIRE!".

Seconded. Having played with the loadout of the Conquest in devmode, the Hellbore is an absolute beast of a weapon, to use, to see, and to hear. None of that *** ass 'tsseww tsseww' or 'pew pew'-- just the good old fashioned, manly muzzle blast of a proper deck gun.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

BonhommeCarnaval

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 06:08:36 AM »

Heavy Blasters, they're an antimatter blaster with more range, infinite ammo and good DPS.

Standard Bomb Bay, used on my giant piranha bomber setup I made a thread about.  :P
Quote from: Archduke Astro
One of you exhibits humility-impairment syndrome
Aww, you so sweet!

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 09:10:42 AM »

Dag I dunno. Heavy blasters is up there. Phase beam is fun, but it's just a mini tachyon. So that's another obvious choice.  :)

I think I like reaper torpedoes the most though. There's such a GRAVITY to them that is pretty much unmatched anywhere else.

OHCRAPOHCRAPOHCRAPOHCRAPOHCRAPOHCRAPOHCRAPOHCRAPOHCRAPOHCRAP
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Dante80

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • .aNiMe//GR
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 09:23:45 AM »

My personal favorite - by far  - is the sabot missile rack. Yes, they are a little bit difficult to aim properly (with a bit of practice though you are even able to long range snipe almost anything) , but the effect of a salvo on shields is just..brutal!

I personally use a wolf with extended magazines and two linked racks. The 10 missiles can tear up a hole in almost anything up to destroyer, and the lone antimatter blaster in the nose can seal the deal if they don't. With some practice and luck, you can even kill some cruisers this way...^^
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:41:13 AM by Dante80 »

evil713

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 11:27:41 AM »

Harpoon MRM, its such an all purpuse you die now kinda weapon.

Icelom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 01:37:39 PM »

Harpoon MRM, its such an all purpuse you die now kinda weapon.

^^^
Also the game needs a medium sized mrm launcher with a larger capacity... i hate lrm's

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 01:53:49 PM »

Also the game needs a medium sized mrm launcher with a larger capacity... i hate lrm's
That sounds like an easy mod.  :)  Oh man, I'ma call it the ahab harpoon launcher (if someone doesn't beat me to this, haha).
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire