Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [0.8.1a RC8] Hard crash/CTD on saving  (Read 16937 times)

AtlanticAccent

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
[0.8.1a RC8] Hard crash/CTD on saving
« on: June 11, 2017, 08:38:36 AM »

I have fairly extensive mod list, so I've decided to post in this subforum.

So far I've had three or four hard crashes as soon as I've tried to quicksave or save manually.

The first time I had Starsector installed in C:\Program Files(x86), the only change apart from mods being increased heap size.

Second and third times were both after I completely uninstalled and reinstalled into a non-UAC protected directory at C:\Games. I had also switched the game to compressing save files to see if that would change anything.

I'll attach my most recent starsector.log, as I  seem to have lost the others. I also have multiple hs_err_pidxxxx.log, all with the same EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error, which was what led me to moving my install to a non-UAC folder and running Starsector as an administrator.

Mod list:
Spoiler
Arsenal Expansion 1.3.7
ATX
Audio Plus
Autosave
Blackrock Drive Yards
Combat Alarm Sounds
Combat Chatter
Common Radar
Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering
Diable Avionics
Disassemble Reassemble 0.5
GKSec
GraphicsLib
Interstellar Imperium
LazyLib
Leading Pip
Lightshow with SWP
Neutrino Corp
Nexerelin
Omnifactory
ORA
Portrait Pack
Rebalanced Pilums
Save Transfer
SCY
Shadowyards
Ship and Weapon Pack
Templars
The Silent Armada
[close]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a RC8] Hard crash/CTD on saving
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 08:42:53 AM »

Hi - could you attach one of the hs_err files here?

AtlanticAccent

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 09:08:04 AM »

oh, oops. Didn't think this had posted and rewrote the entire thing.

Here's two pastebin links:

starsector.log
hs_err_pid10264.log

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 09:14:42 AM »

Thanks! Looks like a crash in the graphics driver - updating it would hopefully resolve it.

AtlanticAccent

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 09:19:38 AM »

Ah, should've seen that coming.

I've been putting updating my drivers off because of how awful interacting with Nvidia is.

Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 09:22:14 AM by AtlanticAccent »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 09:26:43 AM »

Yeah, I don't like to update drivers unless there's a solid reason to, myself. (Nothing against Nvidia personally, but just, if it ain't broke... but of course, in this case, it is.)

Well, here's hoping it helps :)

AtlanticAccent

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 10:05:01 AM »

Well, hate to keep this going, but I've updated to my latest drivers and now I seem to be stuck on the initial splash screen  :-\

I'll test some other games before go start making new topics

Edit: Nvm, it just seems to be loading extremely slowly. A lot slower than before actually. Damn you Nvidia

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 10:06:54 AM »

Sounds like vsync is forced on, I'd check into that in the nvidia control panel. For Starsector, you want vsync to be "application controlled".

AtlanticAccent

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 10:14:13 AM »

Good grief, I thought I was done with Nvidia's idiocy when I gave up Skyrim modding lol.

Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure to fix everything else that's probably wrong in the control panel too

AtlanticAccent

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 10:53:54 AM »

Sorry, but I just got another CTD.

Started anew campaign, everything was going fine, bought a new ship and then saved after the market transaction - that was all fine.

Cruised off to a different system for a bounty, fought the guy, won then hit autosave - immediate hard crash. Previous crashes have occurred when I've saved after a battle, and that save is the first in a while, though I'm not entirely sure.

starsector.log
hs_err_pid7352.log

Random uneducated guess, but shouldn't the second last line in starsector.log use a backwards slash in the save path?
2404570 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Saving to ..\\saves/save_IshtarElysium_4156860944538556835...

Except that wouldn't make sense because it's saved before, so I'm probably wrong.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 10:57:51 AM »

Yeah, it's not the path - that sort of thing would just fail across the board, not in a very specific case.

This looks like the same driver crash. Just to make sure: have you rebooted since updating the drivers? And are you on a stable driver version, or on beta drivers or whatever it is they call them?

(There's an outside chance that something's wrong with the graphics card itself, but that seems fairly unlikely...)

AtlanticAccent

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 11:10:07 AM »

Yeah, that wasn't a very good hunch.

I've definitely rebooted since updating, used Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode. I went with the latest stable driver too. I did strip out the Nvidia telemetry but that's unlikely to have done anything.

At this point it's probably something to with my mods or maybe a wider system issue, though I've been playing a wide variety of games on this setup with practically no problems for a while.

Would my system installation of java have anything to do with things? Starsector comes with its own doesn't it

I'll check to make sure that the CPU graphics driver isn't installed or interfering somehow

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 11:16:06 AM »

Yeah, Starsector comes with its own Java and from the log it looks like it's using the right version.

Something to try: open up data/config/settings.json, look for:
"processMessagesWhileSavingOrLoading":true,

And set it to false instead (making sure to keep the comma after it). That *might* help - a bit of a long shot, as I'd expect the error message to be different if this was relevant, but it could set the code into a different path that might not lead to the same driver crash.

AtlanticAccent

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 05:26:14 PM »

Hi, sorry I took so long to get back to you.

I changed the setting like you suggested then started another new campaign, though I did use save transfer to carry over some progress.

Unfortunately I got another CTD when I saved right after combat. I had previously saved after a market transaction fine. This does seem to fit into the pattern, pointing to saves after combat specifically to be the problem. Unfortunately, both my most recent logs don't seem to be all that helpful, though that is on first glance only.

starsector.log
hs_err_pid1700.log

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 08:08:19 PM »

Thanks for giving it a shot!

I don't think it's related to anything you do before the crash. Not sure I can do anything here, unfortunately - it's just crashing in the driver. Hmm. One last-ditch option would be to try an older stable version of the drivers - say something from 6 months ago or so - but beyond that, I'm running out of ideas.
Pages: [1] 2 3