Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Xpadder not working?  (Read 4050 times)

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
Xpadder not working?
« on: June 10, 2017, 10:12:46 PM »

This might sound weird but I tend to play a lot of games with a combination of gamepad in my left hand and mouse in my right. It's just a habit I got into a long time ago and it's useful in a lot of games. Using an analog stick a instead of WASD works much better for me.

Anyway, Starsector is one of those games I play like this. I usually use Xpadder and I've never had a problem in any of the previous versions but for some reason it doesn't work in the new update. Everything works fine when I open Xpadder before I launch but when I'm in game nothing from my gamepad seems to register. Funny though if I alt-tab out, it goes back to working perfectly, mimicking the mouse etc.. but then stops when I tab back in. I've never even seen behavior like this when using Xpadder over the years. Any idea of what it could be or how to fix it?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 10:14:26 PM by joey4track »

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Xpadder not working?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 09:18:03 PM »

Are there any settings saved in another location other than the install directory? Because now Xpadder doesn't even work in the older versions so I'm assuming there are shared config files or something

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 09:20:28 PM »

There's some stuff in the registry but I can't imagine it would interfere with this. This sounds like possibly an OS update changed something and broke it.

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 09:27:05 PM »

This is terrible. I have been playing this game this way for years. So weird becasue I tested a number of other games I use Xpadder with and they all work fine. Is there any way to delete the registry entries? I tried uninstalling and still the previous version isn't working with Xpadder. All it does is give input, do you think it has something to do with Java? I love this game and really want to try out the new version  :-\ Thanks Alex

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 10:18:55 PM »

The stuff in the registry is under:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\fs\starfarer

Sorry about the trouble! Just not something I can do much about, unfortunately. If you tried an older version of the game and it's not working, then that pretty much narrows it down to something on your system changing that's now making it not work... I don't have any experience with Xpadder, so can't really offer anything constructive.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 10:55:22 PM by Alex »

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 10:50:16 PM »

Ok, no worries. I'm sure I'll figure out what it is at some point. Thanks  :)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 12:04:22 AM »

Have you ever though of using Joy2Key or Steam's controller config?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 09:47:58 AM »

I have tried to Joy2Key, it's ok but I really prefer Xpadder. Game Profiler is even better but it's kind of expensive at $25..

But actually, it would appear that I need to run Xpadder as admin for some reason now. The other games I tested I don't need to but all of the sudden with SS I have to now. It's been awhile since I played 072 so I don't even know when the change really took effect as I only just discovered it as I wanted to try 081.

Either way I don't care, I figured it out and as much as I wanted to be productive today looks like I'm just gonna be playing SS for the next 8 hours, sorry world(not sorry)  ;D ;D ;D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 09:51:27 AM »

Nice!