Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [mac 0.8.1a-RC8] Hanging on initial save game at the end of character creation  (Read 4220 times)

maj.loser

• Ensign
    • View Profile

This is a clean package; no mods and unchanged vm params. Basically the "saving" progress bar sits at empty, and selecting different options during the creation process makes no difference. For some reason on the mac there are no log files generated (that I could find), even after creating a logs directory.

I'm running a macbook air - Sierra (version 10.12.5 (16F73))

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Hi - if you move the game from the Downloads folder to Applications, I believe that should resolve the issue.

maj.loser

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hey - yup, that fixed it. Thanks, and thanks again for supporting a mac package.

seabee4

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Sorry to necropost but i'm having the exact same problem on a clean install and i have the game in my applications folder and the problem persists. Any help would be appreciated, Thank you in advance.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Hmm. Have you tried re-downloading it? It's possible that depending on which user you downloaded it as the permissions on the app folder/its owner/etc might be different, causing this issue. Something else to try would be manually changing the ownership/permissions on the app package. Or running as administrator/whatever the Mac equivalent is, to see if that makes a difference.

Also - and you did say it's the exact same issue as in the OP - but is it actually exactly the same issue, with the game hanging on new game creation when it goes to save? I hate to ask, but there've been more than a few times when the "same issue" has turned out to be something slightly but crucially different :)

seabee4

• Ensign
    • View Profile

After searching how to run the app as administrator the game makes it past the initial new game save! I assure you it was the same problem and i completely understand why you asked haha. My question is now if i'll have to always run the game from terminal or not. Either way thank you very much for the hasty reply and with solutions, especially one that worked!! I appreciate you help very much and am excited that i will now be able to enjoy the game! Thanks again

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Cool, glad you got it (at least somewhat) sorted out! And thanks for understanding me asking :)

As to whether you'll always have to run it as admin - well, this very much looks like a permissions issue. So something like "sudo chmod -R +rw Starsector.app/" from terminal, while in the Applications folder, should theoretically resolve it? But Macs can be a bit weird with permissions so I'm not 100% sure. Nor am I sure why it got messed up in the first place.

Basically, you want the user that runs the game to have write permissions in the app folder. However you get that to happen (i.e. running as admin, or otherwise), that should make the game work.

sherpajack

• Ensign
    • View Profile

It looks like this is indeed the issue:

https://lapcatsoftware.com/articles/app-translocation.html

Perhaps you could explore how to package the mac version in a .dmg with one of those handy drag & drop aliases to the Applications folder?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Hmm - I don't think that's related since the Starsector app package isn't signed in the first place.

sherpajack

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I still think this is related if you only unzip the app and then run it in place, the App Translocation happens and Starsector runs from some weird path in
Code
/private/var/folders/<randomized>/AppTranslocation/
, that's the behavior I was seeing on my machine.

Because of the App Translocation, Starsector won't have permissions to write to the filesystem, so I think this is why the loading bar just hangs when it tries to do an initial save after character creation.