Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Should we be able to choose if weapons are Point Defence, much like how we set weapon groups?

Yes, that should be configurable
- 6 (75%)
No, that should be pre-set with the weapon, as it is now
- 1 (12.5%)
Other (Share your idea!)
- 1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Configurable Point Defense  (Read 2085 times)

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
Configurable Point Defense
« on: February 26, 2012, 03:33:46 PM »

Currently, weapons are either labeled as "Point Defense" or not. Weapons best suited for PD are designated as so, but weapons that are less-suited to the job have no option of being PD weapons. While this is a quite reasonable system to prevent missiles from being ignored/shot at by everything, it doesn't allow the player to change the designation in-game.

My suggestion is that PD weapons are designated in the "Weapon Groups" option. It could be renamed "Weapon configuration", and each weapon could have a toggle button for PD designation. Weapons that are labeled "Point Defense" (when PURCHASING) are designated as PD by default, for simplicity. Also, much like selecting weapon groups, shift-click would change designation for all weapons of one type (let me know if you think it should be all weapons of one weapon group instead of type).

This freedom would let players use, for PD, weapons other than the few that are set as PD (needlers might make good unconventional PD weapons). Also, it would allow for players to turn OFF the PD designation on weapons that they would rather have prioritize ships over missiles. As an added bonus, it would let people make zany choices for PD (such as Mjolnir Cannons) that would be hilarious to watch.

NOTE: This would most likely involve the change/removal of the Integrated Point Defense AI hullmod. Personally, I don't understand why we have pay extra to make weapons target missiles, when they can target fighters that aren't much larger.  ;D

EDIT: If you select "Other" in the poll, PLEASE post your idea! It doesn't help me if you don't share your thoughts!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 03:49:16 PM by catattack998 »
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

Dreyven

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Configurable Point Defense
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 04:34:36 PM »

The Point Defense AI hullmod is there for a reason.
Because it is not that weapons that are good or suitable are labeled as such, no, those weapons are the only one that can track missiles and shoot them down. The others simply lack an AI that's capable of tracking and hunting down missiles.
I quite like it that way.
It also helps to give weapons advantages and disadvantages.
Furthermore it helps to classify weapons for the AI, so it is easier to keep track of what the ship is capable of / designed for. (intercept commands).
Also this prevents simply using better weapons for PD without using additional points,
a good example is the Tactical Laser which has a longer range and more DPS than the LR PD Laser (LR PD Lasers have difficulties shooting down missiles in time btw)
but this change would render a lot of PD weapons useless because you could use a better non PD variant.

You could say that current PD weapons have a lower DPS than their non PD counterparts because the points you would need to upgrade the Point defense hullmod are already taken into account.

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
Re: Configurable Point Defense
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 05:13:28 PM »

While you make several valid points, I also want the ability to remove the PD designation from some weapons. Take, for example, the Light Dual Machine Gun. It has quite decent DPS and very low flux generation. If I mount it on a hardpoint, I would like it to not take on a PD role. While you could recommend the Autocannon, it is much, much weaker. The AC generates greatly increased flux and fires much slower, making it less-than-ideal for longer shootouts. The range does not compensate. While we could have non-PD versions of PD weapons, that would be unnecessarily complicated for players and time-consuming for developers.

In light of your post, I would like to revise my idea. Instead of giving this option to all weapons, give the PD option to PD weapons only. Make PD weapons cheaper, and have it increase the OP cost to turn on PD capability. Integrated PD AI would give the PD option to all small weapons, for free.
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012