Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Custom Server Games  (Read 4048 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Custom Server Games
« on: July 08, 2017, 01:12:23 PM »

I'm embarking on new Adventures in Unemployment while I nurse some health issues and to stave off the terminal loneliness that comes from not leaving the house for weeks at a time I could use a replacement for what TF2 used to provide for me before they killed my most cherished aspect of their game chasing Overwatch.
Custom Servers. I need games that use them. Games with them (like TF2 used to be) that have no matchmaking force players to get familiar with local servers (based on ping latency) and then play those servers almost exclusively, fostering a sense of community without the social pressures of adding randos you don't know to your friends list and then feeling obligated to uphold the façade that you're maintaining a friendship with these randos.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Server Games
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 03:37:56 PM »

I'm embarking on new Adventures in Unemployment while I nurse some health issues and to stave off the terminal loneliness that comes from not leaving the house for weeks at a time I could use a replacement for what TF2 used to provide for me before they killed my most cherished aspect of their game chasing Overwatch.
Custom Servers. I need games that use them. Games with them (like TF2 used to be) that have no matchmaking force players to get familiar with local servers (based on ping latency) and then play those servers almost exclusively, fostering a sense of community without the social pressures of adding randos you don't know to your friends list and then feeling obligated to uphold the façade that you're maintaining a friendship with these randos.

Modern? Or classics?
JKA absorbed a whole lot of my time; in particular the MB2 mod for it.
Very strong sense of locality & community due to the way Quake engine games did dedicated identifiable servers.

Not played in a long time, but I'm sure there are still sizable numbers around.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 04:39:02 PM »

modern's preferable
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 12:53:35 AM »

Terraria is one I THINK (I don't do MP)
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 11:57:25 AM »

I'm embarking on new Adventures in Unemployment while I nurse some health issues and to stave off the terminal loneliness that comes from not leaving the house for weeks at a time...

I know this is just a random games forum and you didn't ask for this, but in all good faith I suggest that unless you're literally confined to a sickbed or at risk of spreading leprosy to people, you should also get out of the house and interact with people. You will be the better for it, in both mind and spirit, when this period is over. Do not use the internet as a crutch. Good luck.

RedTheHunter

• Ensign
  • Space, Science, Guns, what could go wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 07:47:15 PM »

Minecraft perhaps? Modded ones like technic, feed the beast etc, there are lots of custom servers for those around the globe and ping across different reigons isnt too bad if you decide to region hop.

Theres also space engineers and starmade if your more spaceship inclined.

ARK survival, rust, etc for the survival types.

Unturned if you want something survival for free. (Suprisingly technical modded minecraft servers have better/less toxic player bases than most other survival games; the amount of players who just go around killing for the sake of killing, griefing and screaming insults and racial slurs/allauakbar can be too damn high.)

I'm not too sure for custom servers for FPSes though.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 08:06:05 PM by RedTheHunter »
Me: "Is the space leaking in, or is the air leaking out?"
One: "Either way, you're screwed, have fun suffocating."
Marv: *Silent screams in airless space*

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 07:46:38 PM »

A buddy of mine really digs ARK, which has mods and custom servers.  Last actually-good thing I played MP for a few days didn't have custom servers, unfortunately.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack