Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are campaign controls good enough for actiony gameplay?  (Read 2209 times)

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Are campaign controls good enough for actiony gameplay?
« on: June 04, 2017, 11:24:12 AM »

So, now that there's lots of stealth mechanics, terrain, and even 'offensive' campaign abilities like i-pulse, a lot more 'twitch' gameplay is required in campaign than originally, where it used to be just "make that circle touch another circle."

Does everyone still think the campaign controls of click-hold to move to cursor position are the best way to do control the campaign layer of gameplay?

I'm not really sure but curious to hear opinions.

I sort of wish there were a faster way to make your fleet full stop immediately, to get terrain stealth bonuses. Detailed explanation:
Spoiler
Often if I see enemy pings, I want to stop immediately on a terrain that gives stationary fleets a stealth bonus. Having to move my mouse cursor over from wherever it happens to be on the screen, to wherever I think my fleet will be by the time my cursor gets over there (to make it full stop without some drift that takes me out of the terrain), isn't necessarily as fast as I'd like.
[close]

Would click-toggle to move be better than click-hold, so whenever you clicked your fleet would full stop/start. I don't know.

Any ideas? In your comments remember that just because the controls are good enough (for someone with 300 hours playtime and excellent reflexes), doesn't mean that they can't be improved.

Andy H.K.

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Are campaign controls good enough for actiony gameplay?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 12:16:01 AM »

I made a suggestion for a "full stop" button a year ago:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=10752.0

In my mind it would just be a button right below "resume course" with appropriate hot key
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 12:18:11 AM by Andy H.K. »

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Are campaign controls good enough for actiony gameplay?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 08:38:02 PM »

Ha, I actually remember that thread I think. Does it seem like fleets drift to a standstill instead of immediately stopping when you release the button?

Couldn't the other mouse button be used for this?

I have a question for anyone out there: Does your fleet's acceleration and turning characteristics in campaign match the acceleration/turning of the ships in combat? I mean, if there's one fleet that's just 5 hounds, and one fleet that's just 5 promethei, is the accerlation/turning of the fleets in the campaign map the same? Isn't that sort of game breakingly absurd?