Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: House of the Dying Sun  (Read 14309 times)

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: House of the Dying Sun
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 05:48:14 PM »

Frankly the 1-6h lifetime is very misleading.
If you play it on easy and only once then never touch it again, yes your first playthrough might be in the 2-4h range. If on the other hand you start directly in hard, then you'll have more than 6-8h of game time (again, first playthrough) which is around what a lot of $60 games used to have. And then you have the Daily challenges and you can play it again with vastly different loadouts that completely change the gameplay or alternate difficulty modes. And if you have a fleet and rush through the campaign after that first playthrough, then yes you can go through all the missions in less than an hour.

That would be like saying Starsector has a 4h lifetime because with one good early salvage and a pair of good exploration runs you get enough credits to buy an endgame fleet.

Yeah, I absolutely get that, it's just the variety in scenarios. What's there is very diverse, but there aren't many. I think it'd really benefit from like a custom mission builder, where you can throw in any number of friendly and enemy ships, choose objective types and such, sorta like Crimson Skies.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 06:43:02 PM »

The campaign is short but if you're not %100'ing the game you're missing out on most of its content.
My favorite moments with the game were murdering capital ships that were so powerful the only thing I could do was use my fighter as a command post, sit between my frigates and micro-manage my fleet and sit and watch my cruiser and two destroyers pummel their battleship into ruin, then dive in to splatter their admiral's escape pod against the front of my ship
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 06:35:50 PM »

Played it a bit.  Not really thrilled with the combat design; it seems more RNG-based than skill-based.  Plus the ship AI is very weak. 

Title has excellent ideas but the execution's not quite where I'd like. 

Not moddable, being a Unity title, so I'm kind of inclined to write up my thoughts and move on :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2017, 06:55:25 PM »

Flight & combat design certainly isn't x-wing/tie fighter standard, but I'm sure its got other qualities I've yet to appreciate.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 10:24:29 PM »

Played it a bit.  Not really thrilled with the combat design; it seems more RNG-based than skill-based.  Plus the ship AI is very weak. 

Title has excellent ideas but the execution's not quite where I'd like. 

Not moddable, being a Unity title, so I'm kind of inclined to write up my thoughts and move on :)

are you thinking everspace lol
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2017, 09:11:38 AM »

are you thinking everspace lol
Nope, played both :)

Everspace has the edge on the basics- for example, you can side-thrust, which you can't in HOTDS, inexplicably (and why rolling is so emphasized I don't know at all, given that it gives no advantages).  

Everspace has major problems with an incoherent story, bad weapon design, etc.; it just doesn't add up to Fun when all of the details are in place.

HOTDS has the inverse problem.  The story's OK, the fluff makes sense- you're the 47th Ronin, OK, I get that.

1.  It feels like we die to RNG, rather than to lack of Skill.  Shot speeds from the big guns are so fast that dodging them feels like luck, and frequently I just randomly died while passing by an enemy.

2.  The fighter-on-fighter combat is lame, where it really should be the heart of the game.  The enemy AI isn't bright and their deaths take forever, as you knock down their health with your auto-aiming guns (which auto-aim because, well, it's 2017 and game developers have apparently forgotten that making the AI not ~too~ accurate and keeping combat distances reasonable is a thing the classics did to make them approachable and fun).

3.  Fighting enemy capitals is a binary tree with two branches:

A.  Is it absurdly shielded, to the point where only my capitals are useful at all, if I don't have a Heavy Weapon.

B.  What a cakewalk, I just killed that Destroyer by getting behind it and shooting a lot.

4.  Because there is no in-game way to reload Heavy Weapons, your fighter's participation in Capital ship fights is unimpressive.  When, literally, the only way to get more weapons is to kill the Civilians on the map with your last remaining fighter after purposefully dying, to bring in another fighter (because kills generate fighters) so that you have another Torpedo... the game design is broken, yo.

5.  Running into things is instant death, which is realistic but not actually fun.  Especially when you've just gotten into a fighter and the AI is trying to drive it into an asteroid right up until the moment you take over.  That's happened 4 times already.

6.  Did I mention that the AI's a little weak?  It really doesn't handle asteroids well and it doesn't pathfind at all.  Giving attack commands to your fleet when there are obstacles around is often a frustrating experience where a lot of micro is necessary.

7.  It's a basically-2D field of play, like Freelancer, but there isn't a button I can use to level out and see "up" and "down" again, like Freelancer had, which is annoying.

8.  The upgrades for the weapons, etc. are a little frustrating, in the sense that since you can only have two of them and some of them require another one to be present, your actual loadout choices seem pretty limited.  I feel like he was originally going for a totally different power-ramp and then changed course midway through the game's development, but didn't revisit that at all, just made the choices go away.

9.  Too few of the weapons are awesome enough.  Too few of the upgrades are wonderful or feel like upgrades.  The device that makes the static turrets your friends, for example, sounds great until you realize how few missions actually use that mechanic and how basically boring it is, because they're always clustered.  You're going to use the Autocannon the entire game, even though it's utterly uninteresting.

10.  Not being able to arm each fighter in different ways, so that I can be a Strike machine and my buddy(s) can be Support... was a huge missed opportunity.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 09:18:24 AM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2017, 05:40:18 PM »

I agree with everything except the side thrust thing. The whole point of the HotDS is to continuously circle strafe large ships so fast their weapons can't even track you. And that is only fun if you can only thurst in one dimension . Otherwise in ever space you might as well be a flying turret, why even turn the ship at all.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2017, 06:58:23 PM »

True, that, but that's because side-thust is like, equal to forward and rear thrust, lol.

I found that in HOTDS I could circle-strafe all the capships by the end using Drift, which gives you a sudden, completely unexplained ability to burst-turn. 

Oh, and super-cheesy healing-drone tactics, lol.

It's really too bad this thing is probably being left in this state (according to the developer, it's Done).  Close to being really good, but, well.  At least, at $10, I didn't feel ripped off.
Xeno's Mod Pack

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2017, 02:55:35 AM »

Everspace has the edge on the basics- for example, you can side-thrust, which you can't in HOTDS, inexplicably (and why rolling is so emphasized I don't know at all, given that it gives no advantages).  

In abstract sense, rolling can be useful, when strafing is impossible or has low acceleration. It allows spiral maneuver, which was quite useful in X2/X3. But it doesn't work against instahit/very fast projectiles, which are plentiful in in HotDS.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2017, 03:44:46 AM »

You don't have to brute force shields, often the best way to defeat them is to get under the bubble. Also the swarm missile launcher is plenty effective at knocking them down, you don't *need* torps or bombs but they certainly are faster and more dramatic.

Also, I like... Never got hit by Traitor Flagship railgun shots, and especially not the smaller and lower velocity artillery guns. How fast the shots are is nearly irrelevant. As long as you never fly in a straight line for more than a moment. If you fly evasively, the only capship weapons that really pose a threat to your fighter are the Wraith missiles, PD guns, and flak. Capship heavy weapons are like ye olde real life early tech surface to air missiles. As long as you are aware of them, and the general direction they are approaching from... They won't hit, in short. Git Gud
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 03:51:02 AM by MesoTroniK »

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 11:36:55 AM »

Best I've managed in my limited (2) attempts at the endless mode. (flak & autocannon drones on fighters, repair drone + shield on fleet ships)

Spoiler
[close]

I guess there's some kind of cheesy strat to reach wave 29? Not sure I'd have the patience to keep going that long  :-\

It is odd the way they've chosen to balance the game; the "3 kills for a wingman respawn" results in some degenerate tactics, and means your overall successfulness is largely determined by how quickly your wingmen die. (something you have very little control over).

An interesting distraction, worth the sale price, but no substitute for X-Wing on my DX2-66. =D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 02:15:34 AM by TJJ »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2017, 09:19:27 PM »

Best I've managed in my limited (2) attempts at the endless mode. (flak & autocannon drones on fighters, repair drone + shield on fleet ships)

Spoiler
[close]

I guess there's some kind of cheesy strat to reach wave 29? Not sure I'd have the patience to keep going that long  :-\

It is odd the way they've chosen to balance the game; the "3 kills for a wingman respawn" results in some degenerate tactics, and means your overall successfulness is largely determined by how quickly your wingmen die. (something you have very little control over).

An interesting distraction, worth the sale price, but no substitute for X-Wing on my DX2-66. =D
Have you tried Dragon difficulty?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2017, 02:13:52 AM »

Have you tried Dragon difficulty?

Where you only have your fighters? Yeah, completed.

Haven't done dragon + kill flagship, but it doesn't track that accomplishment, nor is there an achievement for it.

Chronosfear

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2017, 06:40:53 AM »

Hey Guys,

I got myself a VR headset a few weeks ago (VIVE)
Wanted one for quit some time  ;D

Have started playing House of Dying Sun with VR again.
Feels nearly like a new game.
They have a really nice VR-Cockpit with cracking glass or sparks here and there when you take some hull damage.

Still struggling to beat the traitor flagship. But I have to unlock a few upgrades.
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

My words are backed with nuclear weapons
Gandhi (Civ)
Pages: 1 [2]