Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starsector vs. Starpoint Gemini Warlords  (Read 3026 times)

Seth

• Commander
    • View Profile
Starsector vs. Starpoint Gemini Warlords
« on: June 01, 2017, 08:12:23 PM »

I'm still holding off from SS 0.8a because some of my fav mods haven't been updated yet and basically waiting for 8.1 at this point I guess... To get some fix in terms of space-flight-explore-murder gave SPGW a shot. Back in a day I spent some time with SPG2 and even made some small mods for it. Game is okay, nothing fancy, but has few very good sides (like all-dimensional combat).

Have been playing Warlords few hours and the biggest letdown I spotted right away are explosion SFX and almost non-existent sound. Guess I was spoiled by SS in that regard with it's spectacular side in this matter. Oh well, guess will keep playing, graphics look nice, modding support is there and more content is on the way.

What are your impressions, folks? And which one you think is better? Now, I know they are quite different but still, which one you enjoy more?

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector vs. Starpoint Gemini Warlords
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 10:05:13 PM »

I enjoy Starsector more due to a few factors for me.

Factor A - The Ships/Combat - I'm specifically talking about the ones that allow you to phase skim / teleport / activate maneuvering or plasma jets. Anything that allows great to insane levels of mobility is a huge plus for me. Warlords does this as well with the Sublight Drive, allowing even cloakers to get into position and do high burst damage, but it just doesn't feel the same when the enemy is able to take your shotys and dish them out twice as painful (I use Plasma Cannons with Shockwaves on a frigate currently, the plasma cannons do not feel like plasma)

Factor B - Descriptions - A detailed description of the ships and their purposes is always good, and this is one of the things Starsector does better than Warlords, like for example, buying a new frigate and knowing how fast it is from standard (unless al ships are the same with just hull making a difference) or weapon locations even. Being able to tell where the weapons are located is one of the most essential factors for combat/salvage.

Factor C - Style - This is more due to absolute personal preference, due to playing Starsector for so long, but I think 2D Top down really seems to do it for me, less complications, seems faster as well. Although Warlords does feel a bit more exhilirating as a result of 3D, I do like seeing all of the details painstakingly handmade/handdrawn.

Factor D - Weapons - This one is simple really. Starsector has more "true" ballistic weapons, weapon sizes, diversity, feel and overall likeness to the weapons. Currently for Warlords, there's Beams, Railguns and Plasma Cannons for light weapons. Heavy Weapons are also restricted category wise, to just three/four (?) weapons.

I can see myself constantly playing Starsector to fill the void in my soul that Starfighter once took alongside Alien Galaxion X.

Starpoint Gemini : Warlords, however, eh not so much.

(QUICK EDIT) - I have only played Warlords since yesterday, so this is probably why. (Oh and your fleets will die very quickly)
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 01:05:14 AM »

Have only seen a few videos, but it seems SGW has too many insta-hit (or near it) weapons for my taste. I like more dodgy gameplay.

Seth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »

I haven't played too much Warlords yet, but judging by what I've seen so far and my experience with SPG2 (while Warlords has basically similar system), combat is far more sluggish and ships are much durable in comparison to SS. Even small vessels like Gunship, Corvette, etc. In SS you really can take out even biggest ships very quickly by focusing on it with everything you have. In Warlords, there are lots of shield/healing powerups that can bring you back from the nearly dead state to 100% hp pretty fast. So in terms of insta-hit kill, SS is the champion IMO. Combat is SPG also was always very static, moving around isn't a key, power distribution to systems, usage of skills and powerups is. In SS it's different depending on ship, but still much less static.

I really miss SS variety, atmosphere, effects quality and many other things. For some reason every SPG felt empty and isolated, even Warlords with so much going on. SS feels very lively on the other hand, more fleshed out, and I really like it.

Still having fun with SPGW, but I don't think it will hold me once I can get my hands on 8.1 with all mods I need updated.