Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: [0.91][UTILITY] EZ Faction 0.6a  (Read 52476 times)

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8][UTILITY] EZ Faction 0.2a
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2017, 05:51:25 AM »

If you want another suggestion:
- system .json files (as in, star systems) read from faction mod folder and implemented

Any systems/planets would not count towards the faction planet count, for simplicity sake.
I mean, you could implement it in a way that it counts, but that's just extra work for little game. Let the mod maker worry about faction planet count balance.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2017, 07:15:23 AM »

- system .json files (as in, star systems) read from faction mod folder and implemented
It'd be pretty easy to simply write Systems to XY locations in Hyperspace, then build them randomly by treating them like a Constellation (which is how things work under the hood right now).   However, to be reasonably polished, it'd have to erase Systems that were too close, etc., etc., which might cause problems if multiple mods overlapped and erased each other's content (which is why it doesn't work that way right now).  Perhaps a better solution might be to find a gap between Constellations and fit the Systems in that gap; that might be possible.

But... if you want fully-customized Systems, where everything has specific names, locations, etc., then you need to write the code to do that; it's not trivial code and very little of it can be converted into some sort of JSON shorthand, I'm afraid.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2017, 07:33:19 AM »

Well, if you already have written a system file for a system called Omicron, with 1 terran planet and 2 volcanic ones and 1 Gas giant, and stations and stuff...does it really have to be in an EXACT location? Generally placing it in a quadrant should be enough.

As far as I understand, fixed systems are generated (read from files) first, THEN the randomly generated ones are created.
Fixed systems are called from the core system generation script, so it should be possible to add a system at that point.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2017, 08:48:59 AM »

Unfortunately, you'll need to fix the broken IronClads SectorGen if you want that kind of detail. 

What you're talking about is basically a SectorGen that uses JSON as program instructions; at that point, you might as well just do it in Java.  The problem here is that there's a level of detail where it's basically just the same as coding it from scratch; that's out of scope, because I want to be able to maintain this code when, almost inevitably, it gets broken by the next major Alpha (I'm guessing that MarketAPI gets largely rewritten and a lot of the calls I'm making to methods gets broken).  That means KISS to a large degree; if I implement too many layers of control, then I'll have the same issues I had with Vacuum getting broken every update; I'd like to avoid that if I can and just build / re-release Factions (I miss all my weird Vacuum stuff, lol).

I'm not sure what all is wrong with the Ironclads SectorGen, but I'm guessing it's largely missing code to create Markets for the inhabited entities, including Conditions and PersonAPI entities for the people you can talk to now. 

Take a look at my code and you'll see how that's currently done.  That might be a pretty quick fix :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8][UTILITY] EZ Faction 0.3a
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2017, 10:41:20 PM »

Alpha 3 has been released.

This mainly just addresses people not having LazyLib installed; not a big deal.
Xeno's Mod Pack

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2017, 11:44:12 PM »

Weird.

According to Alex, there is no hard-coded limit to the number of markets.

And yet one of my factions doesn't get any worlds generated. Even after I "removed" 4 other factions (simply dumped everyone into pirates or aliens). Looking at the log, it does report to have found the XLE.ezfaction file, but there's nothing after that regarding XLE..other than generating a mission for them. They do show up in the faction list ???

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2017, 12:39:20 AM »

That's weird, but I'd have to download your mod's latest build to see what's up.  At a guess, you have something wrong in the .ezfaction JSON.

Strip your JSON down to:

Code
{
"minPlanets":3,
"maxPlanets":8,
"minRangeFromCore":15000,
"maxRangeFromCore":25000,
"minMarketSize":3,
"maxMarketSize":7,
}

And see if the error persists.  If not...

I'd guess that you've left a spelling error in your file.  Here's an example, from the as-yet-unreleased next build of Explorer Society:

Code
{
"minPlanets":3,
"maxPlanets":8,
"minRangeFromCore":15000,
"maxRangeFromCore":25000,
"minMarketSize":3,
"maxMarketSize":7,

#Please Note:  names here need to be the unique Planet ID, *not* the name field!
"preferred_planets":[
"terran",
"terran_eccentric",
"arid",
"jungle",
"desert",
"desert1",
],
#Please Note:  names here need to be the Faction ID, *not* the name!
"hatedFactions":[
"pirates",
"tritachyon",
"remnant",
"sindrian_diktat",
],
#Please Note:  names here need to be the Faction ID, *not* the name!
"lovedFactions":[
"independent",
"luddic_church",
"persean",
],
}
Xeno's Mod Pack

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2017, 12:48:54 AM »

F*** my stupid ass.
It was a missing come in the hated factions list.

I don't understand it how I missed it when I assumed that was the case and was specifically looking for it and didn't see it....

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2017, 08:05:32 AM »

Just one of the perils of trying to mod a game on limited time and sleep budgets, lol.
Xeno's Mod Pack

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2017, 02:30:30 AM »

One more thing I noticed - added factions don't seem to get any bounties generated, they don't seem to come with generated comm stations

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2017, 09:24:24 AM »

You have the latest build of EZ Faction installed, yes?

I know that they get Comm Stations and Missions, at least over here.

As for Bounties, I'm not sure about the mechanisms involved; I'll look into that.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2017, 12:54:01 PM »

You have the latest build of EZ Faction installed, yes?

I know that they get Comm Stations and Missions, at least over here.

As for Bounties, I'm not sure about the mechanisms involved; I'll look into that.

Question similar to this so I know how much custom dialogue to put into rules.csv:

1) Do EZ Faction fleets answer player distress calls or take part in the distress call event where they have a fleet stranded?

2) Do EZ Factions perform custom inspections and investigator bribe events at the market?

3) Same for food shortages / causing markets to become unstable - mainly again for unstable market dialogue in rules.

I don't want to spend the time writing all this dialogue if it isn't being used haha.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2017, 04:35:25 PM »

I've taken a look at Bounties; simply put, if you've ever noticed that the Hegemony seems to post more Bounties than anybody else, it's because of how that's being handled under the hood.
Xeno's Mod Pack

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2017, 11:45:18 PM »

I've taken a look at Bounties; simply put, if you've ever noticed that the Hegemony seems to post more Bounties than anybody else, it's because of how that's being handled under the hood.

What I noticed is that using EZfaction OR NExirilien, only core factions post bounties.

I tried downloading/using some other factions, like the Ineterstellar Imperium and the New Galactic Order - they never get any bounties either.

It's funny, since I do remember it used to work and then one Starsector update broke it.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2017, 07:15:29 AM »

Yeah, I'm aware of what's going on and I've addressed the main issue under the hood; but frankly, after looking at how it's working, I want to rebuild the PersonBountyEvent system to not use WeightedRandomPicker, because it's not working well; there are fairly serious distribution problems.
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12