Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: [0.81a] Starsector Rebalance Pack 5.1a  (Read 31408 times)

SainnQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8] Starsector Rebalance Pack 1a
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 05:17:06 PM »

Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit Java?  I've just made a small update to the code; might resolve this issue.  I'll test and see if I can replicate the problems here.

64-bit Java 8 (That may be my problem I'm using Java 8)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 10:16:20 AM »

64-bit Java; was able to replicate the problem; I'm talking to Alex about it, we'll see if I can find a fix.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 04:15:02 PM »

OK, I think that I (may) have found the cause and (may) have solved it.  Please download again and let me know if you still see crashes when all three mods are enabled.
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 02:19:54 PM »

Update:

Includes Part F, which is basically just a cheat mode (gives 8X experience, for rapid testing of a mod's progression, for example).

Fixes the last-known cause of random hangs during a new game with Part B installed.
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8] Starsector Rebalance Pack 2a
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 10:58:43 PM »

Alpha 2 has been released.

Features:

1.  Addressed issue with end-users not having LazyLib installed, etc.

2.  Ships have been pretty substantially rebalanced across the board.  Changes included things like:

Sunder has Plasma Jets, so that it can shoot-and-scoot, rather than being a one-time-use Glass Cannon.  It's finally competitive.  I thought about restoring HEF's old range bonuses, instead, but I think if I'm going to start reworking Vanilla Systems or adding new Hull Mods, weapons etc., that's a different project.

The Wayfarer has properly-fixed turret arcs.

The Centurion's rear and side turrets are all Universal, so that it can actually be useful.

Drams, Phaetons and the Prometheus are no longer quite such easy trash kills.

The Hound got buffed OPs, so that it can mount enough Hull Mods to be competitive again, with ITU, etc.

The Cerebus, ditto.

The Gryphon's a contender again.

3.  More weapon tweaks; generally, just smoothed out a few details this time.

4.  Missile tweaks across the board:

I fixed some things that felt silly (like, why bother having ammo for Locusts, Squalls and Hurricanes; they're all Pilum-like support weapons) but I didn't go super-crazy.  

Harpoons, Sabots and Reapers remain as ammo-limited weapons; of the three, the only one where I actually feel that's arguably warranted, sort of a big change in mechanics, is Sabots.  Personally, I'm leaning towards restoring the Vacuum 60 / 120 second rules for Harpoons and Reapers.  Sabots need a minimum of 60 seconds, but I think the big problem is their burst DPS; a single Sabot is not that scary, but a couple of Pods in one's face definitely are.

However, every other Missile now regenerates, with tweaks to burst sizes and all that to keep them roughly OK-ish; I think this still needs work, but it's not terrible right now.  

This feels better thematically, because in long fights, there's no period of, "gee, we're all out of ammo", which is boring and kind of broken if your ship requires missiles to be viable in combat.

5.  The Valkyrie is actually useful as a light Destroyer and will actually spawn in fleets properly.

I've been playing with most of these changes for a couple of months now; they feel pretty solid over here.  I think this is finally ready to move over to releases; there are various little things I'll keep messing with, but this is pretty much what I wanted to get done here.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Computica

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 05:25:24 PM »

I'll give this a good play through and get back to you.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2017, 05:17:02 PM »

Thanks!  I think it's about ready for playtesting; thus far, it's feeling good over here :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2017, 06:04:45 AM »

Do all of them have to be running at once?

Also a null error happened while I was starting a new playthrough, and a "[thruster_fighter_sm]" error happened when I tried to start the game up with all of the rebalances (C was taken off and it started up fine up until the null error)

EDIT - Forget the null error, something else is causing it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 06:14:37 AM by Takion Kasukedo »
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2017, 06:40:23 AM »

The beam changes sound interesting, gonna test this.

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2017, 01:22:24 PM »

Starsector Rebalance Pack cripples my game speed.

Please have a look into the files and see what's causing this.
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 03:27:41 PM »

Starsector Rebalance Pack cripples my game speed.

Please have a look into the files and see what's causing this.
Without knowing a lot more about what's going on (i.e., are you just running Vanilla + Rebalance Pack or are you running it on top of lots of other mods, for example) it's hard to say what's going on, precisely. 

I don't see much performance impact over here with the current code that's running (it's really light, code-wise) so I doubt if it's doing something really heavy that's breaking performance for you, but that doesn't rule out all possible problems.

To put it another way, I run this, the FX Mods and the AI Mod concurrently, and see much better performance than I get in Vanilla with the same battle size.

a "[thruster_fighter_sm]" error happened when I tried to start the game up with all of the rebalances (C was taken off and it started up fine up until the null error)
Hmm, the "thruster_fighter_sm" error will need to get addressed quickly (it's tied into other changes).  I'll have a patch out to fix this tonight.

Unfortunately, until Alex resolves the issues with JSON inheritance (which is, unfortunately, fixed in his dev build, but probably months away from release), there are a bunch of things that are tying my different projects together right now, because more than one project touches the .ship files.
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2017, 06:51:42 PM »

I'll have a new build out tonight that resolves the "fighter_thruster_sm" bug and also improves speed in big fights, by dynamically reducing the number of dead "chunks" (i.e., ships that have died but did not remain in one piece upon death).
Xeno's Mod Pack

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2017, 07:19:14 PM »

I'll have a new build out tonight that resolves the "fighter_thruster_sm" bug and also improves speed in big fights, by dynamically reducing the number of dead "chunks" (i.e., ships that have died but did not remain in one piece upon death).

Why remove chunks? Yes will improve speed, but also will remove cover which is an important part of combat.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8] Starsector Rebalance Pack 3a
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2017, 07:08:44 AM »

Alpha 3 is now available.

Features:

1.  All of my projects have gotten put into one convenient download, to save people time getting them, rather than from a half-dozen links.

2.  Speeds up several things, including removing random ship-chunks from the battlefield (which saves a lot of CPU in really big battles).
Xeno's Mod Pack

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: [0.81a] Starsector Rebalance Pack 3a
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2017, 06:07:09 PM »

Why are you including all your mods in one package? It just bloats the download sizes and clutters things up. Hell, it reminds me of some programs that try to do stuff like install toolbars or change your homepage or main search engine
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5