Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: [0.81a] Starsector Rebalance Pack 5.1a  (Read 31403 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
[0.81a] Starsector Rebalance Pack 5.1a
« on: May 27, 2017, 09:00:38 AM »

Installation:  unzip the xeno_mod_pack file.  If you just want to try out Rebal, install only the files marked "_Rebal".  

The other mini-mods are optional (but are the environment I test with).

One of this mod's components requires LazyLib to operate.  If you don't have LazyLib installed, do so before running this mod.

This is my compendium of current re-balance work on Starsector's base game.  The intent of the project is to improve Vanilla's combat balance a little bit with each release.  

This mod does not add new content; it merely changes how a few things in Vanilla work.  But the effects, while small, are important.

The mod consists of several  parts, all which can be installed separately (i.e., if you hate A, but like B, you're not forced to use A):

1.  Part A changes the balance of StarSector's weapons in various ways.
2.  Part B changes the Hard Flux mechanics a little bit (essentially, all ships get a little Hard Flux drain over time, regulated by Flux Capacity) and changes Beam mechanics a little (Beams do more damage as you get closer to the target) while also increasing the utility of Armor (top level is 99%, not 85%).
3.  Part C is the most experimental; it fixes a few Vanilla Fighters / Drones that had Flux stats that didn't support their weapons loadouts.  It's in very early Alpha right now, so please forgive me if the balance isn't right yet.
4.  Part D rebalances the Hull Mods, to improve their attractiveness and greatly reduce the "right answer" most players experience in Vanilla.
5.  Part F is basically a "cheat"; it greatly shortens the time spent getting the Player and Captains leveled.  However, this isn't actually "easy mode"; the change makes the power-curve of the game harder for expert players fighting Bounties, because Bounties level with the player more efficiently and AI fleets have better Captains.

The formulas used and the raw data can all be viewed here.

These three mods have been playtested by me very extensively at this point.  I feel that they:

1.  Make the game a bit harder, by getting rid of the "junk" in weapons, which gives parity to the AI.
2.  Make the game's choices quite a bit wider, by making a lot of weapons players might only consider for a squirrel-case build much more relevant.
3.  Correct some obviously-overpowered cases in the weapons, like the Light Needlers being significantly better for most purposes than the Heavy Autocannon and Arbalest.
4.  Make Beams have a slightly-better role, both as support and as assault weapons in a pinch.
5.  Fixes fighters / drones that were Flux-choking constantly.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 02:48:10 PM by xenoargh »
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8] Starsector Rebalance Pack 1a
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 12:49:49 PM »

4 OP antimatter blasters? Have you tried fitting 9 OP AM blasters on an Aurora in vanilla SS? It's already borderline OP to just dump 8 AM shots onto a target and slip away Plasma Jets. At a glance, I personally think these balance changes are made on the logic of "How could this be used" rather than "how could this be broken", which is not a good way of thinking if you're trying to "fix" balance.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 01:03:55 PM »

I don't really have any problems with the AM Blasters, given the rest of the changes, but playtest for a few hours and get back to me if I really need to revisit alpha's value.

I certainly don't have any problems with the Aurora situation you've described; that's not over-powered because of the weapons, it's over-powered because of the ship's combination of Flux pool, convenient Small Energy slots in the frontal mounts and mobility... in the hands of a player.  

But that's not something the AI can use well (which what most of these changes were about, frankly).  

To put it another way, there aren't many other good ways to arm the Aurora for players wanting to do that technique, and the smallish number of OPs you get doesn't make the Aurora incredibly better.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Death_Silence_66

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 02:28:20 PM »

Some issues.

-The Thumper and Assault chaingun don't fire, they only spin.

-The Heavy machinegun is worse in every way but range than the light and dual light machineguns with twice the OP cost.

Other than this, the changes are very welcome. My only large scale complaint is that weapons feel too powerful. A general decrease to DPS would be appreciated.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 02:30:36 PM »

Will look at the Thumper / Chaingun.  Thought I had that sorted  ::)

HMG's in a weird spot, where it's supposed to be rapid-fire PD, not a Kinetic assault gun.  It's in a weird place, TTK-wise.  Will see what I can do.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Death_Silence_66

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 02:46:01 PM »

If you want to make the HMG a PD weapon, you could give it extreme accuracy and high projectile speed. That combined with lower OP cost should make it a competitor to the Flak cannons.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 02:49:05 PM »

Updated.  Should fix the Thumper, Chaingun and HMG issues.

On the HMG, it's mainly getting penalized for having (relatively) high TTK and Kinetic damage.  It's always been a weird weapon, in that it can be both an assault gun for anti-shield and also PD; I decided to increase the inaccuracy a bit so that it eats less Flux; that makes it reasonable as PD but keeps it in the Assault role.

The other option is to make it Frag and make it, basically, an upgrade to the Vulcan.  Might work.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 03:08:03 PM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

Death_Silence_66

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 05:58:06 PM »

The Chaingun and Thumper still don't work for me, did you update the DL link?

And the HMG is still not viable.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 07:43:26 AM »

Hmm, thought I updated.  I'll re-upload right now.

[EDIT]Done.  Works here?[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 07:45:13 AM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

Death_Silence_66

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 12:04:02 AM »

Huh. Only running with Rebalance Pack A1 and lazylib. When I hold down the mouse to fire the rotary barrels just spin but never generate flux or fire.

I guess the issue might be on my end, any ideas?

SainnQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 03:24:07 AM »

Ok, I'm somewhat confused is A,B & C meant to be ran together, or in parts of the users choosing?

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 03:34:17 AM »

Ok, I'm somewhat confused is A,B & C meant to be ran together, or in parts of the users choosing?

The mod consists of three parts, all which can be installed separately (i.e., if you hate A, but like B, you're not forced to use A)

^ Surely that explains it clearly enough?

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 11:49:37 AM »

Huh. Only running with Rebalance Pack A1 and lazylib. When I hold down the mouse to fire the rotary barrels just spin but never generate flux or fire.
That's really odd.  I'll have to look and see if I can replicate this.  Might have to report to Alex; the way "rotary" weapons work is relying on some hard-coded stuff (which I can go around if I need to).
Xeno's Mod Pack

SainnQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 02:43:09 PM »

The mod consists of three parts, all which can be installed separately (i.e., if you hate A, but like B, you're not forced to use A)

^ Surely that explains it clearly enough?

It was, but I can't seem to run them altogether.

Locks up at New Game loading.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 03:47:19 PM »

Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit Java?  I've just made a small update to the code; might resolve this issue.  I'll test and see if I can replicate the problems here.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 04:00:04 PM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5