Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: [0.8.1a] Degenerate Portrait Pack v1.1  (Read 210423 times)

Xenoit1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Degenerate Portrait Pack v1.1
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2019, 12:52:42 PM »

Uhm.. I'm nobody who knows a lot about all that stuff, but I want to ask one thing.

Does that mean that ANY mod that somehow intertacts and possibly adds something, in what ever way is forbidden unless you specifically ask for permission?
(as example mod A adds weapons to the ships from mod B... mod A isn't allowed to exist unless mod A asks mod B for permission and gets it)

The point I do agree upon is that the graphics are belonging to certain artists...

But then again, this is purely free content and noone gains money from this... then again, I'm not well versed with that sort of stuff...

Edit:  another thing that I just realised... isn't it also sort of the users responsability? I mean I use this mod with various others, but that is because >I< combined them. giving one the ability to combine 2 mods isn't nessesarely intended but to compress the mod or make it more adaptable... also as far as I got it, this mod uses a default sheet and adds the various pictures to all factions avaliable, in that case, id you want to avoid other portraits to be used in your content, code it that way yourself. Also it could be limited to the vannila factions, but then again everyone could manually copy and rename all the needed xxx.faction files. (or how they where called again)
The only real issue I see here is the copy right on the pictures used, and nothing else...

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 01:07:11 PM by Xenoit1 »

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2019, 01:55:44 PM »

Does that mean that ANY mod that somehow intertacts and possibly adds something, in what ever way is forbidden unless you specifically ask for permission?
(as example mod A adds weapons to the ships from mod B... mod A isn't allowed to exist unless mod A asks mod B for permission and gets it)

It's generally in poor taste to make a mod that makes any modifications to another mod's content without asking permission, yes.
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2019, 10:04:58 PM »

It wouldn’t be a big deal if your portraits weren’t in violation of copyright laws.

Xenoit1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2019, 02:38:16 AM »

Sooo that in return means that any mod on this forum that adds as example a weapon where the usage of said weapon is NOT limited to vanilla and mod own ships, needs the agreement of ANY faction mod on this forum... just read this and think about it for a moment... while I do agree if this mod would specifically add them for this mod, expressing the intention to do so, but in fact it is simply adding them to the game as a whole, no matter the faction.

Edit:

concerning Sorens reply, yes I understand... however, looking at the cooding and his assets, he can't be hold responsible as it isn't his added assets, if they wish to blame him for anything they need evidence that it is his fault... in this case it is easy to pove that he is not to blame as his assets are not containing said art, also the offical download(his I mean) also does not include them, it is not his problem but the fault of the mod in question that adds it, othwerwise it would be the same as to blame the offical Starsector for having them in the vanilla factions, ignoring the fact that a mod is used...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 02:49:43 AM by Xenoit1 »

kerghnox

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2019, 03:34:56 AM »

My apologies, I thought all the portrait mods used the same structure. The two I use (not this one) have all the faction files. So, I figured it was common practice with portraits.

Xenoit1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2019, 04:27:00 AM »

Allright, after starting some sort of self doubt and reminding myself that my brain is not as good as I would like it to have I checked it out again controlled it and yep, it is a pile of crap I said, it is all defined for each faction in the xxx.faction files.
My appollogies here for my missguiding.

If it makes MesoTroniK happy(sorry if that sounds rude) I can delete his faction file from the folder, but I'll be honest, anyone that knows how to copy a file and rename it can reverse the change themselfes in mere seconds...

That said, it would only remove his faction files from my modification of the modification...
Oh and pls anwser here or PM we if you "still" want it removed, but please keep in mind, it is no gurantee that no one reverses that themself.

Blothorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2019, 02:55:52 PM »

I don't see much problem with end-users adding portraits to factions--one hopes that will mean they know where the pictures come from. The big problem is with *distributing* a mod that adds them, since the end-user may not realize that mod factions are being altered.

And you should absolutely be removing files for every mod faction for which you have not obtained explicit permission to alter, rather than requiring mod authors to monitor and deal with every new portrait pack.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2019, 04:22:43 PM »

My apologies, I thought all the portrait mods used the same structure. The two I use (not this one) have all the faction files. So, I figured it was common practice with portraits.
What other ones? The only ones I know of that add to mod factions are this one and Helmut's.

If it makes MesoTroniK happy(sorry if that sounds rude) I can delete his faction file from the folder, but I'll be honest, anyone that knows how to copy a file and rename it can reverse the change themselfes in mere seconds...

That said, it would only remove his faction files from my modification of the modification...
Oh and pls anwser here or PM we if you "still" want it removed, but please keep in mind, it is no gurantee that no one reverses that themself.
Yes, please do remove my mod's faction files from this mod. But honestly why do I even need to confirm this? I thought I made this *very* clear with my two prior posts in this thread that please, seriously, get this stolen *** far far away from my mods! And yes of course, this doesn't stop end users from adding them back themselves but there is nothing that can be done about that and a personal mod is a personal mod which is very different from a mod being distributed.

And while you are at it, please strongly consider extending the same courtesy to all other modders and if you want to add to theirs? Ask first, as Blothorn (and myself TWICE in the past) said.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 04:24:43 PM by MesoTroniK »

Xenoit1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2019, 05:25:18 AM »

Welps, one does certanly like to be on the super save side... it's like accuiring tanks against to protect against turtles...
That is why I asked again.
Anyway, here the new link, only the vanilla factions that make sense are added and a read me that explains how and why one should add mod factions themself.

FreedomFighter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2019, 10:02:22 PM »

On the other note, I request that the image number to be a little bit more polish since some folder has an image that skips some number. Like in Folder F, it skips the number 47. It got me by surprise since I thought each folder would be 1 to 100 while those image with "(2)" is optional in case someone wants to switch with the original one. Some other folder has skipped number like the one in "F" folder too but I didn't remember exactly which number it is.

oorek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2019, 03:33:18 AM »

It wouldn’t be a big deal if your portraits weren’t in violation of copyright laws.

There is nothing contrary to copyright law about this mod. If he was selling it, it would be a different story. But he isn't.

I don't understand why you would speak so authoritatively about law when you don't know what you're talking about. If you just don't like anime, or the mod isn't in line with your tastes, say that. Don't feign legal expertise.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2019, 05:16:47 AM »

EDIT: Removed to avoid dogpile
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 05:37:22 AM by Histidine »

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2019, 05:17:12 AM »

That actually doesn't make a difference. Whether you charge money for work that violates copyright affects the likelihood of damages, because what's unlawful and what's actionable are different things, but that doesn't change the legality of using someone else's assets. Copyright covers free unauthorized reproduction as well as paid; it's just that it's usually not worth chasing you down for unless you're making money off it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 07:57:57 AM by Soren »

Lionion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2019, 05:25:14 AM »

That said, 99% of anime themed mods on pretty much all games are basically skirting around copyright laws and they are most of the time small enough to not draw any meaningful attention from authorities.

He does have a point though for that reason: anime mods breaking copyright protection laws is basically a premise at this point, and bringing it up is like playing the uno reverse card. It basically kills the discussion there because bringing it up lacks a good faith.

Starsector's modding scene is I guess unique enough in a sense that 99.9% of mods use original graphical assets and can easily draw the line where the copyright stands and where it doesn't. I can see where the moderators and Alex would stand on the issue because a legal conflict is not what they would like to go through, but as an end user this is probably one of those domains where people sort of accept that the laws are being broken to a certain degree.

In a realistic sense, unless Starsector gets a major publishing deal and this mod somehow gains traction and gets a, say, half a million subscribers from steam workshop, nothing would likely be done about it.

So in a sense, back to his point, it all boils down to whether you like anime or not.

Me personally? I couldn't care any less.

Lionion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2019, 05:43:53 AM »

The issue for me, personally, as a modder is that I want to control whether someone adds infringing content to my mod in such a way that I could be mistaken for the infringing party. I don't care if an infringing mod exists, I care that it doesn't make trouble for me. I and many other people said that before, your inability to read and understand it isn't anyone else's problem.

See, you had a perfectly good ground to stand on to win people over because what you said is very understandable, but you just blew that all up by slinging personal insults. You gotta calm down. Not everything revolves around you, I don't even know who you are. All I ever did was point out some of the clownish comments like:

I have some semblance of common courtesy to redact the name. You're welcome.

Anyway, I actually agree with you. You edit someone else's mod in any shape or form, and if the original author doen't like it then it would be fair to ask it to be taken down/altered. Two comments I want to make though:

1) The original author for this portrait pack is nowhere to be seen so this whole ridiculously clownish argument about copyright laws make everybody involved look juvenile at best
2) It isn't exactly going to be all sunshine and rainbows when people start throwing insults and turn this into a flame war.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5