Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Simulation Autopilot ignoring hardpoints  (Read 3868 times)

mehgamer

• Lieutenant
  • TTK is not representative of combat performance.
    • View Profile
Simulation Autopilot ignoring hardpoints
« on: May 24, 2017, 05:29:26 PM »

Entering the simulation, then enabling autopilot for the flagship seems to break something in the AI.  It refuses to aim its hardpoints, only firing them on the off-chance that something wanders into the firing line.  Lashers, hammerheads, any other front-focused ship that I fly suddenly attempts to broadside enemy ships, which makes the simulations effectively useless for testing the AI-usability of a given ship.

Please fix, 3 hour refit-binges are my life.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Simulation Autopilot ignoring hardpoints
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 05:37:13 PM »

Hmm. Modded or vanilla? If you can point me to an example in vanilla, I'd love to check it out. (i.e.: put together this loadout, fight vs this opponent, observe behavior). As is, I'm not able to reproduce this, and haven't seen (or heard about) anything remotely similar. I wonder what's going on; suspecting some mod weirdness though it's hard to say for sure.

mehgamer

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 06:44:39 PM »

http://imgur.com/a/yJk30

Alex, I spent about an hour playing a fresh campaign with an unmodded game file, testing with several frigates in simulations.  I made an album of screenshots during, please let me know if you need anything else.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 07:21:35 PM »

Ahh, ok, I see. This should be fixed for .1; what you said in the OP made me think it was a more constant issue, if that makes sense.

mehgamer

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 06:09:03 PM »

Frustratingly, I had more images in that album.  Just checked now and it seems to have only saved less than half.

The Lasher was pretty 50/50, but the real fun one was the hound which did a 270 degree clockwise rotation around its opponent, maintaining a 45-90 degree angle the entire time and only stopping when its engines got shot out.

mehgamer

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 10:34:20 AM »

Booping this thread to say that it hasn't been fixed.

Observe the broadsiding eagle.
Spoiler

I already reported this as a vanilla issue so I do not believe mods are to blame.  However, I will still report that I have the following active:

- DME 0.9.5d
- BRDY 0.9.0
- Audio Plus 1.1.0
- Lightshow for SWP 1.32
- Dynasector 1.3.1b
- Console Commands 3.0 WIP 3
- LazyLib 2.2
- Ship/Weapon Pack 1.2.2
- Upgraded Rotary Weapons 1.31
- Version Checker 1.7c
- GraphicsLib 1.2.1
[close]

UPDATE:
Spoiler

It flew, in normal slow rotation fashion when it comes to this glitch, to this angle.  It then persistently refused to let the enforcer be anywhere other than this orientation relative to it, as if the eagle thought its hardpoints were pointing in that direction.

I'm beginning to believe that this has to do with the way the AI recognizes "forward" directions while specifically in autopilot, and not simply an aiming issue.
[close]
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:31:34 PM by mehgamer »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 01:24:54 PM »

Thanks - I'll take a look when I get back. (Out of town now...)

I did definitely fix at least one issue that was causing similar behavior; wonder what's going on here. Well, I'll definitely check it out.

This time is does sound like it's permanently using a wrong angle, rather than it being occasional? Which would be weird. There's nothing special about autopilot, either, it's equivalent to the normal AI running the ship.

mehgamer

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 04:12:49 PM »

I agree, it's bizarre that it only happens in autopilot, because in all my testing it is only ever the single ship having the error.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend! (didnt expect a response before monday, honestly)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 06:40:12 PM »

Well, this is weird. Tried the same loadout of the Eagle, down to the weapon groups, and can't reproduce this issue. It resolutely sticks to facing directly towards a variety of vanilla destroyers and cruisers while on autopilot. Not sure what we're doing differently.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 11:21:23 PM »

This AI issue (among others) occurred several times during the 0th round of the tournament. If you have the time to watch it, there are occurences of ships not engaging, ships turning away from an overloaded target, ships flying away for no reason and so on.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 07:46:03 AM »

Watched it the other day, actually - was a lot of fun!

There's too much going on there and too many unknowns, though. E.G. an Aurora in the earlier rounds being rather cautious - could be due to a cautious captain (though it was *supposed* to be aggressive, according to Nemo/chat?) - so what conclusions can I draw from that, you know? Looks to me more like the personality being set to cautious, especially given that in the next fight an actually-aggressive Aurora-based ship wrecked everything. But if it was set to aggressive and was behaving like that, then that didn't seem right.

And then there's a lot of modded stuff, especially modded ship systems where all bets are off, because it's either custom AI or AI designed for another system.

I will say that in what I watched - something like 2/3rds of it? I didn't see anything egregious. In particular, I don't recall any "turning away unnecessarily" - keeping in mind that it *is* appropriate behavior when 1) there is armor damage or 2) there are multiple enemy ships (sometimes it'll split the difference in facing, more or less, to help in using shields.) Of course, could just not be remembering, it's quite a lot of footage. If you've got any timestamps of what you think warrants another look, I'd be happy to check it out.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 08:51:11 AM »

That Aurora's captain was indeed aggressive, and the Derelict cruiser behaved way too cautiously despite being reckless (also, that moment when it turned away from an overloaded cruiser in range to chase a frigate!). Next round I'll note the timestamps where something weird might be going on.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 10:26:17 AM »

I can't actually tell what that Aurora is armed with - looks like many/most weapon slots are empty? Not sure.

(also, that moment when it turned away from an overloaded cruiser in range to chase a frigate!).

Yeah, I saw that - that specifically is ok in my book. It situation is bad in any case so there's no good choice, and yeah, an offensive move would at least make the enemy pay, but in general terms its trying for a safer play (again, yeah, not going to work out given the situation) by choosing another ship to strafe-pivot around and possibly get out of being flanked.

Whether to prioritize an overloaded target vs a target that helps keep you from being flanked is not a decision the AI can make well - any mistakes lead to increased losses - so it's just not even considering prioritizing a target based on overload status.

Next round I'll note the timestamps where something weird might be going on.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:28:03 AM by Alex »