Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 35

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 276588 times)

HepC

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #375 on: June 04, 2017, 01:33:18 PM »

Bounty fleets right now scale way too fast, my first bounty (with two frigates) was an eagle and half a dozen destroyers.  They didn't get much better after that relatively speaking either.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 04, 2017, 01:35:59 PM »

Bounty fleets right now scale way too fast, my first bounty (with two frigates) was an eagle and half a dozen destroyers.  They didn't get much better after that relatively speaking either.

There's one bounty that's going to be higher level than the rest - looks like that's probably what you ran into. The description talks about the flagship and fleet size, and has a rough indicator of the bounty target's level.

(What level were you at that point, btw?)

HepC

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 04, 2017, 01:38:13 PM »

5ish if that. These "tougher" bounties seem to be the standard rather than the exception as I've only encountered two that weren't ridiculous. 

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 04, 2017, 01:42:28 PM »

You can compare the price money and gun for the fleets at the lower end.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 04, 2017, 01:52:48 PM »

Only one at a time is higher level. Look for the lower-money ones and early on ones that say "unremarkable officer" with a frigate-sized flagship.

HepC

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 04, 2017, 01:55:38 PM »

No I get that there's some indication of bounty quality but when I went to face a bounty with an eagle for 80k I thought it would be a fleet of just an eagle, not the entire 14th battlegroup.  And now I've "lost" my game because I salvaged an onslaught that I can't even field yet but now every bounty is multiple capships/cruisers.  I mean like the direction of tougher bounties but it's a bit much too soon.  I might just be bad at the game.

The first bounty I did kill was an unremarkable officer in a destroyer and the usual starting bounty fleet.  I'm definitely getting more than one "high level" bounty at a time.   

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 04, 2017, 01:59:06 PM »

Ah, I see - yeah, if you do a couple and then get your fleet reset, then there'll only one one lower-level one to help you work your way up. (There's also a fleet size indicator, "in command of a <size>" fleet - small, medium-sized, etc.)

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 04, 2017, 02:02:04 PM »

Sounds like a general increase in the number of bounties would help here, so we have more bounties of each tier to strive for at any given time
mmm.... tartiflette

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 04, 2017, 02:54:08 PM »

Got the hotfix to try out (mostly) restored Thunders.  They are much better, and one of the better wings to use.  They kill things faster than Broadswords and Claws, and maybe Gladii at times, but Thunders are a bit more fragile and need skill support more.  Thunders do not die as quickly as they did, and the current recharging Swarmers make sense on them.

Got a chance to try out Piranha, and they feel like a castrated Khopesh instead of the clumsy but powerful fighter/bomber it used to be.  They are underpowered at 10 OP.  To be honest, I do not want to use them unless I need junk to mount on a disposable carrier.

I agree bounties scale too fast.  The problem is if the player does the tutorial, he will be level 6 or 7 minimum after leaving Galatia, and maybe more (like 10+) if he gets in a few more fights before leaving core.  My first bounty fight was a big fleet of pirate destroyers and frigates, and I needed my entire fleet to kill it, and I had to replay it a few times due to excessive casualties in the first few attempts.

behrooz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Does it really make sense to delay transverse jumping back from hyperspace?
« Reply #384 on: June 04, 2017, 04:48:10 PM »

The activation time for transverse jump has really cut down on the amount that I use it, especially dropping out of hyperspace.

It makes sense that TVJ shouldn't be a get-out-of-smuggling-free card in-system, but does it really need the activation time jumping back down out of hyperspace, where you can only use it within a small radius of a nascent gravity well and evading by dropping back through a nearby jump point is often easier than getting to the nascent gravity well to begin with?

The charge time coming out of hyperspace feels more like a useless delay without any corresponding gameplay benefit.

Lord0Trade

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 04, 2017, 05:24:58 PM »

Love that 64 bit Java is now included, Thanks a lot! Keep up the good work.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 04, 2017, 08:45:29 PM »

Alex, have you thought of adding in a  settings file option to allow messing with the storms? Or are they at least moddable so that others can tune them down (or up for the REALLY crazy folk)?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 04, 2017, 08:52:17 PM »

Re-did the tutorial after 8.1. We get the Interdiction Pulse when we get Sustained Burn but the dialogue and the tutorial make no mention of it directly. Probably low-priority but forcing the player to use it or getting it used on them might be helpful for understanding how it works. It took me getting to Corvus and seeing Hegemony patrols use it on pirates to really see it in action.

I'm enjoying the additional bounty variety and the descriptions that accompany them. I have also run into Hounds with Makeshift shields and Arbalests and it made me smile. They are more annoying than ever but that's a good thing (Hounds need all the love they can get).

Haven't tried Thunders yet but I am doing a carrier-focus for this run. Talons are sufficiently toned-down I think but Piranhas are non-competitive when Khopesh and Warthogs exist. Honestly, they could be 0 OP and not hurt anything. They'd be competing with Talons for the "free" designation but more than that, they're taking a fighter slot so it's more of an opportunity cost thing. Once the biggest ships hit the field, sure, they're worth more than 0 but there are so few targets that warrant that 10 OP cost, especially since they lost their secondary MGs.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

It makes sense that TVJ shouldn't be a get-out-of-smuggling-free card in-system, but does it really need the activation time jumping back down out of hyperspace, where you can only use it within a small radius of a nascent gravity well and evading by dropping back through a nearby jump point is often easier than getting to the nascent gravity well to begin with?

Hmm, that's a good point. Wasn't thinking about that, but yeah.

Alex, have you thought of adding in a  settings file option to allow messing with the storms? Or are they at least moddable so that others can tune them down (or up for the REALLY crazy folk)?

It's moddable, yeah.

Re-did the tutorial after 8.1. We get the Interdiction Pulse when we get Sustained Burn but the dialogue and the tutorial make no mention of it directly. Probably low-priority but forcing the player to use it or getting it used on them might be helpful for understanding how it works. It took me getting to Corvus and seeing Hegemony patrols use it on pirates to really see it in action.

IIRC the tutorial does mention it briefly, but yeah, a stage explaining/demonstrating its use would be nice to have.

I have also run into Hounds with Makeshift shields and Arbalests and it made me smile. They are more annoying than ever but that's a good thing (Hounds need all the love they can get).

Are they even annoying? To me it's just a fun variation, slow enough that chasing them down isn't an issue, but different enough for different tactical considerations to come up.

Warthogs probably need an eventual nerf, really. I want to wait and see about Piranhas, since all the feedback so far is - I think - skewed by being more early-game.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 04, 2017, 11:02:49 PM »

If Warthogs gotta be nerfed, I'd rather you bump their OP cost up to 13 or 14 rather than gut their stats/weapons.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 35