Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 35

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 276750 times)

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #360 on: June 04, 2017, 10:29:34 AM »

I kinda liked how they became truly threatening again, making deep hyperspace a true dangerous wasteland that I would need to carefully navigate for face the dire consequences!  But oh well!  ;D
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 04, 2017, 10:31:16 AM »

Getting a false positive with Avast on the install file, both downloading it and running it. Claims it's an infection of FileRepMalware type. I've submitted a report to Avast about it, but thought I'd better let you guys know, too.

Yep, happened to quite a few people already. Thank you for submitting the false positive report!

adimetro00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 04, 2017, 10:36:05 AM »

To be fair, i kinda like hyperstorms that are "OhCrapigottadodgethisormyfleetsgonnagetrekt" an not "Ph god not this again. pleas end already

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 04, 2017, 10:38:45 AM »

Alex, if you know/suspect what causes Avast to freak out, maybe you could trim installer to 128MB or less and send it to VirusTotal site so it would check if any other antiviruses have problems with it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 04, 2017, 10:58:50 AM »

Alex, if you know/suspect what causes Avast to freak out, maybe you could trim installer to 128MB or less and send it to VirusTotal site so it would check if any other antiviruses have problems with it.

Given that it's a common occurrence with every release, it's hard to summon up the enthusiasm or alarm level to do that, but, alright, in the name of being totally paranoid: stripped out the jre's from the installer, which made it weigh in at around 120mb. Test results here (spoiler - completely clean, even according to Avast).

Since we're being paranoid, also submitted each JRE (32 and 64 bit), they also come back as completely clean.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 04, 2017, 11:42:38 AM »

Thinking about them some more, I think they'd work better if they were a much more rare and much bigger threat, rather than "constant, low-grade threat that can become an annoyance due to being constant" as they are now. So, for example, if now and again you were to find yourself in the path of a storm 10 cells wide, or some such, that's got potential to be an interesting event. The same sort of idea as behind turning down the probability of derelict defenders down to 50% but increasing their strength.

On the one hand super storms sounds fun, but on the other hand... I kinda like that you're actually dodging and weaving constantly during travel now. Rare, big events would bare the danger that you sit there passively staring at your screen for 90% of the time.

I think ultimately it's the right direction to go in, but only if there are more types of events in hyperspace in general, so the total event frequency doesn't fall all that much.

Some things that (I imagine) would be relatively easy to implement with modifications of already existing things:
- temporary jump points that are invisible on the starscape and lead to treasure rich systems you can't re-enter
- yellow storms that form elongated chains that damage you but don't require fuel to fly through
- white storms that briefly generate jump points in their heart that lead to random systems far away on the map
- green storms that generate exotic debris fields you can scavenge but skyrocket the chance of having an accident
- pink crazy storms that spawn your own fleet to battle against, but after the battle only crew is lost, no ships and CR (because it was an induced hallucination)

Of course, in the long term I'd hope to see more elaborate things (maelstroms, drafts, wave fronts, space Kraken, migrating von Neumann locusts swarms, special hyperspace resources...), but maybe thongs like these could be a relatively good intermediate solution?

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 04, 2017, 11:50:16 AM »

Some things that (I imagine) would be relatively easy to implement with modifications of already existing things:
- temporary jump points that are invisible on the starscape and lead to treasure rich systems you can't re-enter
- yellow storms that form elongated chains that damage you but don't require fuel to fly through
- white storms that briefly generate jump points in their heart that lead to random systems far away on the map
- green storms that generate exotic debris fields you can scavenge but skyrocket the chance of having an accident
- pink crazy storms that spawn your own fleet to battle against, but after the battle only crew is lost, no ships and CR (because it was an induced hallucination)
...i hate those phase storms already. ^^

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 04, 2017, 12:07:53 PM »

The weaving through storms worked back when it was just the Core Worlds and there was clear "routes" through the storms that you could take. But now, there is simply too much space to cover and no clear route through it all—planning a route all the way out to fringe systems would be ridiculous!

Maybe you could bring back those hyperspace "waves" but instead of speeding you up, they'd dissipate or "calm" large swathes of hyperstorm, making for a temporarily safe corridor of travel!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 04, 2017, 12:16:11 PM »

Just had a fleet engage SB to follow me, and then, after I engaged SB, it engaged EB. Which slowed it down and made escape easy.

The weaving through storms worked back when it was just the Core Worlds and there was clear "routes" through the storms that you could take. But now, there is simply too much space to cover and no clear route through it all—planning a route all the way out to fringe systems would be ridiculous!

Are you maybe mixing up storms and "deep" hyperspace? There were never clear routes through storms.

Planning ahead just means looking for the occasional shallow hyperspace path that runs parallel to your route and keeping the zoom far out to spot potential storms early and give them a wide berth.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 04, 2017, 12:18:10 PM »

Storm ideas

You know, i think you should develop this idea a bit more on the suggestion forum, because i think it could resolve the issue of boring "alt-tabbed" hyperspace travel. I remember that Xeno proposed random encounters at some point (and i wasn't really hot about it), however some exotic events randomly happening when caught in a storm could spice up hyperspace a bit.

I like the teleporting one in particular, it got a very 40K warpstorm feels to it.

Oh by the way, thank you Alex for the quick update!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 04, 2017, 12:42:37 PM »

Hotfix #2 is up; notes on what's in it in OP.

Re: Storm ideas - I think it bears some thought in general. If there's a lot of stuff going on, it seems like it ought to be something with potential upsides as well as downsides, or it's back to "non-stop annoyance". Plus some downtime/easy travel isn't exactly bad - it can be good for pacing and making things that do happen feel more important. Calm before the storm and all that.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 04, 2017, 12:50:54 PM »

I mean deep hyperspace then, ways through it that you'd never risk hitting a storm. It was feasible to weave around it back when it was just the Core Worlds, but now there is simply so much deep hyperspace everywhere that planning out a route with a low risk of storms when traveling to distant systems is...painful to say the least. Not to mention it would take you much longer to get somewhere if you're dodging all over the place and that just eats up more supplies and fuel for every trip!

If plowing through storms with SB active is a no-go now, then something must be done or long distance travel is gonna be a super obnoxious (as others have already said).

Hussar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 04, 2017, 01:12:46 PM »

Hotfix #2 is up; notes on what's in it in OP.

Woo, I was just in time. :D

No more loosing modules through shields wohoo :D

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 04, 2017, 01:23:26 PM »

Test results here (spoiler - completely clean, even according to Avast).
Spoiler
[close]
I don't get it.

About hyperspace... Well, right now storms aren't exactly an interactive mechanic. I'd like some variety to them (like Gothars suggested) or interactivity (like IP creating a storm-clearing blastwave). Right now storms just force you to sometimes disengage SB and wait for clear passage or EB through them (which makes you loose supplies to loose supplies).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 04, 2017, 01:28:30 PM »

Right now storms just force you to sometimes disengage SB and wait for clear passage or EB through them (which makes you loose supplies to loose supplies).

Hmm - not really my experience with it. It's more, "you have to look ahead (including using right-click and radar) to adjust your route in a timely manner". You may have to turn off SB *sometimes* but (again, in my experience) that's been rare.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 35