Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 35

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 276659 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #330 on: June 03, 2017, 07:07:05 PM »

Relatively quick feedback from me (which I should post in a new topic):

* LR PD Laser is useful!  With much lower flux cost, mounting it instead of PD Laser feels like an upgrade, despite lower damage.

* Odyssey:  Good news, it can kite-and-snipe with Tachyon Lance and two Broadswords.  Bad news, one, worse shield efficiency makes brawling with classic configurations harder because hard flux builds up faster.  Kinetics will crush it fast.  Two, no more OP to support the second wing of fighters makes Loadout Design 3 mandatory.  Talons are okay for other carriers, but Odyssey probably wants Broadswords or other 8+ OP fighter to use.  It is nice cruising at higher speed, but with new shield weakness, I feel like configuring Odyssey as a beam sniper instead of a Plasma Cannon or IR Pulse Laser brawler.

* Fighters:
Talon:  Still useful, but not overpowered.  Does Swarmers recharge one missile every ten seconds?  If so, I think that is moot.  This is a case I want Talons to die as soon as they fire Swarmers.  Fortunately for me, they tend to die, and because Talons can still stream almost non-stop, they still fire missiles more frequently than the weapon stats.  Overall, I think new Talons may be worth 5 OP.

Gladius:  They seem to stay are target more, and they kill a bit faster than Broadswords if the wing survives.  They seem okay, if slightly weak, at 10 OP.

Thunder:  These are weak!  They are simply faster and slightly cheaper Gladius with much slower replacement rate.  They drop like flies, only now they cannot freeze the enemy.  Compared to old Thunders, they take much longer to kill ships, much like new Talons.  With old Thunders, they were outdone by overpowered Talons.  Now, they are outdone by Talons - and almost everything else - because Thunders are weak.  I miss the old Thunders, and I want them back; maybe replace the Harpoon with a second Swarmers.

Sparks/Lux:  Still good, but inferior to Warthogs at killing things.

Warthogs:  Still brutalizes whatever they swarm.  The most powerful fighter that is not a bomber.

Swarmers used by fighters should just simply shoot two missiles every ten seconds.  Talons just die and get replaced constantly.  Thunders need the extra firepower.

OP costs of Wasps and Talons should be swapped.  Talons are still one of the more useful wings, though not as powerful as Broadswords, and powerful enough to kill things if they die and get replaced quickly enough.  Wasps are too fragile.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 03, 2017, 07:49:00 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!

As far as the Thunder - yeah, it's definitely going to be weak if measured against other fighters straight up. You're probably not going to see much benefit from using it without also using the new "fighter strike" command. Hmm - it might make sense to replace the IR Pulse with an Ion Cannon, so they're more "on-demand utility".

Originem

• Purple Principle
  • Captain
  • Dancing like a boss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 03, 2017, 07:55:51 PM »

Will you update new versions(not bug fixes) in a short time?
My mods

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 03, 2017, 08:31:50 PM »

No, this is it for a while, no 0.8.2a planned or anything like that.

(Unless there's another hotfix needed, as you say.)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 03, 2017, 08:38:50 PM »

While I haven't had much time to see how things play out, I've got one or two immediate feedback points I'd like to make.

First off, AUTOFIT IS SAVED!  ;D The fact that it no longer tries to mess with your weapon groups is a true Godsend - thank you Devs.

Next, I can actually see myself considering the LRPD laser now. Feels much more viable as an alternative to the Burst PD and regular PD Laser

And finally, while I like the new Thunder, its turn rate seems extremely poor in comparison to its speed. I tested some of them against one of Tartiflette's giant punching bag Practice Targets, and they seem to handle so badly that they miss half of their shots on each strafing run... Against a giant stationary target. I think they need a buff to turn rate to compensate for the increase in speed. Not sure if their current handling is a deliberate design choice, but as it is they seem to have a lot of potential that I just can't seem to unlock.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 03, 2017, 10:00:40 PM »

as trivial as complaints get, but the 2 colossi variants have their sprites offset 1 pixel up, visible when you scroll through its sprites folder
mmm.... tartiflette

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 03, 2017, 11:39:57 PM »

Quick feedback (chasing down bounties in Galatia): Having tiny pirate frigate fleets spamming interdiction pulse on me every time I try to sustain burn is... annoying. Considering these ships will constantly hound the player through an entire starsystem, what recourse do I have other than to try to catch them with emergency burn? Its taking me more supplies to catch them than to fight, and its forcing me to do boring mop up fights constantly. I'll see how this goes in later in.
This.
Constantly getting shadowed by 1-2 ship fleets that bounce in and out of sensor range to 'maintain contact', and repeatedly spam IP making travel a tedious grind. This occurs more frequently in systems, but also happens in hyperspace and can get you utterly ruined if you get tagged by an IP and clip a storm.

Also not impressed with how storms completely override s-burn now. Given that they are all but invisible until they are active, and have a fuzzy boundary that may/may not align thier effects with the flashing area, and thier seemingly much higher occurance rate they now render almost all of 'deep' hyperspace a no-go area which puts a LOT of territory out of bounds.
I liked that you could eventually ignore all this drek because storms are just filler and exist solely to make the player suffer for some reason while acting as a roadblock to actually interesting content.

I get that you want to make travel 'interesting', but punishing the player by forcing tedious busy work on them, or for not having 100% perfect vision is really not a good way to do it.
The most interesting kind of travel is the kind that gets you to somewhere else with the minimum of hassle, and maybe the odd point of interest here and there. There really doesn't need to be massive fleet eating hazards liberally sprinkled over the entire area you can traverse, hostile fleets fill that role perfectly well.
This is why fast travel options exist in all kinds of games.

Not really got any other feedback as these two points have rendered the game dull enough that for the first update ever I actually don't want to play it.

adimetro00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 04, 2017, 01:49:44 AM »

Having you fleet IP'd by a single ship is pretty darn annoying!
You should make it so that the ability-interrupting effect stop working on larger fleets at certain threshold (fleet size against yours, sensor strength, range, etc.) Faster ships can just EB their way out of an IP-activating fleet.

EDIT: Would it be really necessary for you to not only made the storms interrupt SB, but made it more frequent? This is way above scrappy mechanic, and actually the one thing (out of many) that breaks this game for me.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 02:22:45 AM by adimetro00 »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 04, 2017, 02:01:51 AM »

Having you fleet IP'd by a single ship is pretty darn annoying!
You should make it so that the ability-interrupting effect stop working on larger fleets at certain threshold (fleet size against yours, sensor strength, range, etc.) Faster ships can just EB their way out of an IP-activating fleet.

That's how it already works:

Sufficient sensor strength on affected fleet allows it to avoid interdict entirely
This includes using Active Sensor Burst
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Krelian

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 04, 2017, 02:34:38 AM »

Thank you Alex, you made my weekend :D

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 04, 2017, 05:27:29 AM »

well, new hyperstorm vs sustained burn interaction made traveling "unfun", well, to be exact "*** boring and slow ever with shift pressed constantly".

hyperstorm thing is fun, but, due to lack of viable methods to counter, avoid or pathfind around storms, they just slow player down for no good reason turning every travel into:

1) Hold shift and watch how your fleet crawl around on burn 2
2) Try to avoid storms and crawl around on about same speed but with your own (player) time and effort wasted
3) Lay course and AFK, you are extremely unlikely to be intercepted in fridge area anyway

storm and hyperspace should be navigation hazard, not damn bush walls around everything

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 04, 2017, 05:30:27 AM »

It would be fun if clear hyperspace corridors were something that the player could survey and such.

Make em appear on the map afterwards, give em a name and let the AI fleets navigate through them afterwards and such.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Ali

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 04, 2017, 05:55:50 AM »

Anyone else having download issues?  Mine keeps failing at 194 / 196mb..  :'(

adimetro00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 04, 2017, 06:41:22 AM »

You ought to tone down the frequency of the hyperstorms. Or make it not interrupt SB.
...unless you prefer losing players, of course.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 04, 2017, 07:01:22 AM »

i hope removal of deep hyperspace and hyperstorms is possible without violating "no RE" rule.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 35