Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 276753 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #315 on: June 03, 2017, 01:37:39 PM »

Colossi are... Just as competent as I've expected. By that I mean similar to most of combat freighters. As in, bad. But hey, nobody expected it to be better! Oh, by the way... side mounts of theirs are in different positions on both sprites. And Hammerhead's left medium ballistic mount is a bit off to the left.
I suspect that "new" Brawlers will be bad... TT Brawler is still good only for pursuit and AM bombing, while normal I won't use any more, solely because I want to remember him positively.
And the new engines on Ox look as if they were bolted on.

zaimoni

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 03, 2017, 02:00:52 PM »

Has anyone else here Avast?
Just ditch Avast; if you're on Win10 you have Windows Defender available, if you can't afford anything else lightweight.  Avast was good back ~2000, but the quality control has gone down in the past decade or so.

I do have an axe to grind: Avast is 100% incompatible with the cross-domain login system backing an online game I help maintain.  It can't handle the way the login system juggles cookies and PHP session data.

Hussar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 03, 2017, 02:10:51 PM »

Oh man. Time to start over... again XD

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 03, 2017, 03:13:39 PM »

Anyone got some (preferably) in-combat pics of the Mk II and Mk III Colossus? Since they aren't in the codex it might be awhile before I see'em...

Hussar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 03, 2017, 03:19:29 PM »

Anyone got some (preferably) in-combat pics of the Mk II and Mk III Colossus? Since they aren't in the codex it might be awhile before I see'em...

go into: \Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\graphics\ships\colossus

TheJoeEffect

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 03, 2017, 03:20:39 PM »

I've submitted a false positive report to Avast. (I'm gonna switch to somebody else. AVG?)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 03, 2017, 03:36:49 PM »

Or you could run in dev mode and go into "edit variants" off the main screen.

I've submitted a false positive report to Avast. (I'm gonna switch to somebody else. AVG?)

Thanks!

Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender? (I've had AVG delete a windows system file make the system unbootable once. Sure, it was >10 years ago, but that sort of thing leaves a bad taste in your mouth.)

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 03, 2017, 03:52:06 PM »

Why does the new version require me to retake the tutorial? I find it odd since everything else seems to have worked fine so far.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 03, 2017, 04:14:39 PM »

Why does the new version require me to retake the tutorial? I find it odd since everything else seems to have worked fine so far.
Because they way the system remembered if you did it or not changed to a registry entry, which means that once you beat it, it should remember that you did without needing to hold onto saves

Alex, I sent avast an email to their whitelisting service so hopefully your installer will get flagged as safe soon. I also included links to your fractal email and the website as well
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 03, 2017, 04:26:52 PM »

Because they way the system remembered if you did it or not changed to a registry entry, which means that once you beat it, it should remember that you did without needing to hold onto saves

Right, yes, so after this time it should persist across re-installs. It should also still allow you to skip it if there are any existing saves, though.

Alex, I sent avast an email to their whitelisting service so hopefully your installer will get flagged as safe soon. I also included links to your fractal email and the website as well

Thank you!

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 03, 2017, 04:53:23 PM »

Thanks Alex!

[Edit] Btw, on a Windows 10 system "Windows Defender SmartScreen" gave me a little bit of backtalk on installing. It still let me after I poked it for more details, but claimed you were an unknown publisher. I'll see if I can give feedback somewhere...

[Double Edit] Also, the new music... Stian, you've really outdone yourself. Its really good.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 05:02:34 PM by Thaago »

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 03, 2017, 05:15:46 PM »

Is Stian still on for Starsector's music and SFX? I haven't heard any news from that guy in years.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 03, 2017, 06:09:52 PM »

Blast!, I'm in the middle of an epic exploration outting within Elite Dangerous, and now a brand new Starsector update is released.

I'm planning on starting again with 0.8.1a, but I'm torn about making it home in ED first before I dive in (probably around ~2-3 days if I go fast, or a week if I take my time a little). Hmmm, time management for my favourite games...is that even possible :D

Alright, as soon as I find a nice system, I'll park up, and have a looksie into 0.8.1a for a *few hours.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 03, 2017, 06:23:33 PM »

Quick feedback (chasing down bounties in Galatia): Having tiny pirate frigate fleets spamming interdiction pulse on me every time I try to sustain burn is... annoying. Considering these ships will constantly hound the player through an entire starsystem, what recourse do I have other than to try to catch them with emergency burn? Its taking me more supplies to catch them than to fight, and its forcing me to do boring mop up fights constantly. I'll see how this goes in later in.

On the plus side, I'm mostly digging the fighter balance. Talons are useful, but not overpowered, Thunders are nice though I haven't fought against them, and an enemy Mora with Gladius + Talons was very difficult on my frigates (but that let my slow D Hammerhead shine).  Kopeshes are still very nice at 12 OP. My one gripe is that I haven't found a use for Piranhas - very small sample size of fights so far, but I would rate it as a 5 OP bomber rather than 10.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 03, 2017, 06:51:57 PM »

Hotfix is up for this issue:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12547.0

[Edit] Btw, on a Windows 10 system "Windows Defender SmartScreen" gave me a little bit of backtalk on installing. It still let me after I poked it for more details, but claimed you were an unknown publisher. I'll see if I can give feedback somewhere...

I think it's part of Microsoft's general policy to drive people to use their godawful store. In this case, by vaguely scaring them about unknown publishers.

Is Stian still on for Starsector's music and SFX? I haven't heard any news from that guy in years.

Yeah, very much so.

Quick feedback (chasing down bounties in Galatia): Having tiny pirate frigate fleets spamming interdiction pulse on me every time I try to sustain burn is... annoying. Considering these ships will constantly hound the player through an entire starsystem, what recourse do I have other than to try to catch them with emergency burn? Its taking me more supplies to catch them than to fight, and its forcing me to do boring mop up fights constantly. I'll see how this goes in later in.

Huh - I can see how that'd be, but I've literally never had that happen to me in playtesting. I wonder what's different, or if it's just situational enough that I never ran into it. Possibly turning off your transponder could help here. Could also get some room by launching your own IP, if they're insistent...

My one gripe is that I haven't found a use for Piranhas - very small sample size of fights so far, but I would rate it as a 5 OP bomber rather than 10.

Depending on how far along you are, that could actually be ok - the Piranha's niche is really "anti big, slow stuff" so it's not going to be useful early. Ultimately - if stations are a more common fixture in combat - I could see them being more dedicated station and capship crackers than anything else.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35