Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 35

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 276568 times)

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8.1a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #270 on: June 01, 2017, 11:30:50 AM »

I think the Odyssey just needs the 0.8 efficiency shields back. With 80 speed and .8 shields it can destroy most cruisers but fails against capitals, which is a pretty reasonable niche. The Paragon can be the high-tech capital killer while Odyssey can be the cruiser killer.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 01, 2017, 12:07:38 PM »

I tried flanking Onslaught with a Heron.  At 130 with zero-flux speed bonus, it has trouble flanking Onslaught.  It could do it, but not without taking some serious damage.  With bonuses from Helmsmanship (for 138 speed), Heron could flank Onslaught a bit more easily.  Later, I tried to flank a Dominator with the same Heron but could not do it.

Odyssey with 80 speed would have enough speed to withdraw from things that threaten it, and maybe murder some of the slower cruisers and destroyers.  I doubt it will be able to run rings around capitals unless it gets Plasma Jets like Aurora.  Now, Aurora is a speed demon with Plasma Jets.  It will run down and catch destroyers, even Medusa.  It can come close to Heron at killing a fleet, but Heron is still better.

Odyssey should keep its 0.8 shield.  80 speed should prevent some cruisers from kite-and-sniping Odyssey to death.  Two fighters should make beams a viable option for Odyssey too, although no more OP for fighters when it already has a slight OP shortage makes it less than exciting.

If High Energy Focus would be replaced, Reserve Deployment would be fun to spam fighters when needed or maybe to keep up with Legion.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 01, 2017, 12:31:48 PM »

I still think the Odyssey is a battlecruiser that happens to have flight decks rather than a carrier that happens to have big guns, if you get my distinction. Reserve Deployment would be kind of nice but I still think the Odyssey is meant to shoot at things rather than let fighters deal with them.

Perhaps it should inherit the Apogee's old ship system (with the drones?) and gain 30% range instead of High Energy Focus. If it didn't have a range disadvantage against ballistic cruisers/capitals, its speed and shield may not be as much of an issue because it doesn't have to close as much distance. The other two high-tech capitals have built-in range boosts...

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 01, 2017, 12:37:34 PM »

1800 range beams on a mobile platform is entering "Paragon with plasma jets" territory... As in, overpowered.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 01, 2017, 12:46:19 PM »

I still think the Odyssey is a battlecruiser that happens to have flight decks rather than a carrier that happens to have big guns, if you get my distinction. Reserve Deployment would be kind of nice but I still think the Odyssey is meant to shoot at things rather than let fighters deal with them.

Yeah, its strength is definitely in it's guns. It has cruiser level fire power and destroyer level fighter power. If fighters were its specialty it wouldn't even need that high speed.

That said, it could be interesting to see a faction variant of the Odyssey that is focused more on fighters, maybe with three flight decks and a fitting system.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 01, 2017, 12:51:11 PM »

How would Odyssey with beams, ITU, and Advanced Optics be overpowered?  It would need fighters (or other ships) to hit for hard flux for beams to be a threat against the things that can threaten Odyssey.  It cannot be done very effectively with only one wing of fighters.

Does not matter what Odyssey was meant to be.  If Odyssey was meant for direct combat, it pales compared to Paragon.  It needs to make up for that somehow, and fighters are the key.  Although Odyssey does not need so many fighters to become another Astral.  If Odyssey does not have enough fighter power, and it cannot get enough speed to do much, then it really needs Advanced Targeting Core to compete, but that should not be necessary if Odyssey is fast enough and has enough fighters to support it.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 01, 2017, 01:02:49 PM »

But it will have 2 wings. 2k range beams with fighters adding hard flux damage and it itself being highly mobile would equal Odyssey having huge area of "denial" by firepower. With its many mounts it wouldn't have to have interceptors to defend itself against other fighters and with triple tachyon beams and HEF it'd have 11250 burst damage... It can pierce through many shields with no to little support and everything that can withstand this, the Odyssey will be able to kite.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 01, 2017, 01:09:42 PM »

But it will have 2 wings. 2k range beams with fighters adding hard flux damage and it itself being highly mobile would equal Odyssey having huge area of "denial" by firepower. With its many mounts it wouldn't have to have interceptors to defend itself against other fighters and with triple tachyon beams and HEF it'd have 11250 burst damage... It can pierce through many shields with no to little support and everything that can withstand this, the Odyssey will be able to kite.
Almost like it's a real battlecruiser, able to kill what it can't outrun and outrun what it can't kill.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 01, 2017, 01:15:33 PM »

We will see.  Even four wings from Legion can falter unless player put some points into carrier skills.  Odyssey will be no better than Condor in terms of fighter support.  Two wings should make fighters usable for Odyssey.

If Odyssey can kill about as much as Paragon, that is a good thing.  Odyssey is not the cheapest capital to use.

80 speed is only fast for big ships.  Without mobility system, it is not that fast when compared to everything.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 01, 2017, 01:37:14 PM »

Almost like it's a real battlecruiser, able to kill what it can't outrun and outrun what it can't kill.
But that's on top of having 2000 units wide bubble that nothing smaller than cruiser can enter...

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 01, 2017, 01:50:28 PM »

But that's on top of having 2000 units wide bubble that nothing smaller than cruiser can enter...
You're exaggerating. Firstly, it's 1800 units, not 2000. Secondly, it's not a bubble, the Odyssey cannot converge three large energies in a 360° radius. The Odyssey can converge three large energies at a single awkward angle that requires seriously good piloting to reliably take advantage of. More likely the Odyssey will be able to hit destroyers and frigates with one or two large energies, and that's much more survivable.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 01, 2017, 02:09:55 PM »

More likely the Odyssey will be able to hit destroyers and frigates with one or two large energies, and that's much more survivable.
Do not count on that.  Medusa is faster and it cannot catch some frigates.  Frigates will be able to kite, swarm, and kill no problem.  It is the cruisers and slow destroyers (like Enforcer and some carriers) that may have trouble, and that is fine since Odyssey is weak against other capitals.

HIL is stopped by most shields, and it is a bad flux trade for the attacker.  Tachyon Lance is good, but needs hard flux to bypass shields.  Any other large energy, Odyssey gets outranged by many ballistic users and Paragon.

Remember, Onslaught and Legion have Burn Drive for more speed.  Conquest has Maneuvering Jets for more speed.  Paragon has Advanced Targeting Core to compensate for poor mobility and fixes energy weapons' range weakness.  Astral is the master of fighters thanks to six bays and Fighter Recall, and fighters have even more range than Paragon.  Odyssey has... nothing to compensate for slow speed and shot range, except one fighter bay, which is not much better than a Converted Hangar Onslaught and Paragon can get (and those two ships have some OP to spare).  The 80 speed and two fighter bays should not make Odyssey overpowered, but to at least compete with the other capitals.  That is kind of why the shield change to 1.0 is baffling.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 01, 2017, 02:43:06 PM »

I currently playtest the Odyssey in this configuration:
3x Autopulse Laser
12x Tac Laser
2x Sabot Rack

ITU
IPDAI
Advanced Gyros
Expanded Mags
2x Xyphos Wing

So on the one hand I have a beam kraken with the Tac Lasers and the Xyphos' four Ion beams, which quickly deals with many frigates, fighters and damaged ships. And with the Sabots and Autopulsers I have plenty of burst hard flux firepower to kill of anything bigger. It's pretty hard to find anything that can stand up to that combo.

I tried it as a carrier, but two decks just don't have the oomph to do anything at their own in the kinds of fights the Ody gets involved in. Longbows on permanent "regroup" are useful too, but I found the static gun platform called Xyphos to provide the most value. I'd like more fighters of that kind.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 02:46:39 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 01, 2017, 07:29:40 PM »

Why are all the default Aurora variants terrible? There's one with nothing but burst PD and some Salamanders, there's one with nothing but Ion weaponry, I don't think there's a single one that's actually good. And by good I mean has two Sabot SRM Pods and Expanded Missile Racks.

Oh, and the Strike Aurora variant has a PD laser in the rear medium synergy, which isn't possible as synergy slots can't mount weapons smaller than their slot size.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 07:44:07 PM by ANGRYABOUTELVES »

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 01, 2017, 07:54:26 PM »

An Aurora without at least one Heavy Blaster is no Aurora at all!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 35