Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 276572 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8.1a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #165 on: May 29, 2017, 09:32:42 PM »

It'd be cool if outposts were an offline-only feature that required an internet connection and a Uplay account

Yeah, but it really needs micro-transactions to be a real feature. Otherwise, I just don't think it would be worth it.

And don't forget that the actual buildings for the outposts will be sold in "booster packs" of 3 each, with random buildings! The cards for ultra-rare buildings like autofactories are all sparkly and drop in .01% of packs.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 29, 2017, 10:48:59 PM »

I think outposts are gonna feature a grid of squares or hexes and you'll drop factories/farms/mines icons into these slots. Different worlds will have different open slots or something.
On one hand, it's quite common and ok to tile worlds... On the other hand, it wouldn't make sense in Starsector since you're most probably not colonising/exploiting whole planet, but at best every possible profitable resource site. I don't know, it may be just the tiles not meshing with SS (to me). But I have to admit that it'd make colonies more natural (as in colonies with people intending to live there, not resource extraction outposts).

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 30, 2017, 07:33:55 AM »

It'd be cool if outposts were an offline-only feature that required an internet connection and a Uplay account

Yeah, but it really needs micro-transactions to be a real feature. Otherwise, I just don't think it would be worth it.

And don't forget that the actual buildings for the outposts will be sold in "booster packs" of 3 each, with random buildings! The cards for ultra-rare buildings like autofactories are all sparkly and drop in .01% of packs.

will game feature summer sales each cycle?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 30, 2017, 11:24:07 AM »

will game feature summer sales each cycle?
Every building will have different skins that you can get from a chest, except keys are sold for 2$ each and the chance to get rare skin is lesser than 0,1%.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 30, 2017, 12:27:33 PM »

I hope Alex is taking notes, so many fantastic ideas here! Personally I'm really hoping for monthly subscription fees and social media share buttons in the game.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 30, 2017, 12:32:47 PM »

I hope Alex is taking notes, so many fantastic ideas here! Personally I'm really hoping for monthly subscription fees and social media share buttons in the game.
Don't get your hopes up yet - Alex hasn't confirmed yearly season passes yet.

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 30, 2017, 12:35:40 PM »

Don't get your hopes up yet - Alex hasn't confirmed yearly season passes yet.
You are forgetting the randomized loot boxes. Skins, ship hats, and unique weapons for the low low price of grinding and your credit card.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 30, 2017, 12:49:33 PM »

Hats for spaceships? Now we're talking!

Random (serious) thought: maybe the stand alone "Missions" should be renamed "Scenarios", so they can't get confused with the in-campaign missions anymore.

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 30, 2017, 01:16:42 PM »

Transverse Jump: fleet stops and charges for 3 seconds before executing the jump, can be attacked

Why does everything useful have to have some kind of deal-breaker downside? I'm honestly asking, because it seems every single thing that's useful and allows the player to do something they weren't able to do previously just gets nerfed into pointlessness. Transverse Jump was awesome for escaping pursuing fleets, and this change is specifically designed to make that not work anymore.

Same thing with Augmented Engines and Unstable Injector in the last update. Oh, having them allowed the player to kite the AI? Let's make one of them only work on the map, which is pointless when Sustained Burn exists, and give the other a downside so bad that it becomes unusable on almost every ship. Then the AI will be able to kite the player, which is much more fun! Right? Right?

I could go on like this for a very long time. New abilities are fun. Marginal percentage bonuses are not.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 30, 2017, 01:22:25 PM »

Spoiler
Hats for spaceships? Now we're talking!

YEE HAW! And don't forget that SS can show ads in markets for extra immersion!
[close]
The idea to rename missions to scenarios is good for confusion avoidance and integral with other games, where pre-set maps are called scenarios.

@Sordid before transverse jump was a free "get out of jail" card, it allowed you to avoid every fight you don't want to take. It's not that if you're ahead it's working, it always worked.
Augmented engines are in uneasy place now and Unstable Injector's drawbacks are too big too. I think Alex might've made 2 changes to reduce player mobility (more cautious AI, UI nerf) without possibly testing them together (that, or he thought that fighters should now harass/force fight).

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 30, 2017, 01:23:33 PM »

Transverse Jump: fleet stops and charges for 3 seconds before executing the jump, can be attacked

Why does everything useful have to have some kind of deal-breaker downside? I'm honestly asking, because it seems every single thing that's useful and allows the player to do something they weren't able to do previously just gets nerfed into pointlessness. Transverse Jump was awesome for escaping pursuing fleets, and this change is specifically designed to make that not work anymore.

Same thing with Augmented Engines and Unstable Injector in the last update. Oh, having them allowed the player to kite the AI? Let's make one of them only work on the map, which is pointless when Sustained Burn exists, and give the other a downside so bad that it becomes unusable on almost every ship. Then the AI will be able to kite the player, which is much more fun! Right? Right?

I could go on like this for a very long time. New abilities are fun. Marginal percentage bonuses are not.
I agree, to some extent. While many nerfs and debuffs are added to balance the game, in some areas this can kill any and all use of an ability completely. Unstable Injector, Augmented Engines, Omni-shield conversion (and possibly FSG) suffer from this greatly.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 30, 2017, 01:25:03 PM »

Unstable Injector works wonderfully on carriers with all fighters and minimal (or no) weapons.  Some fighters will be weakened next patch, but Warthogs are not one of them as far as I can see.  Warthogs are basically slower (classic) Sparks or Lux in effectiveness.  Boardswords are a bit weak, but at least they put pressure on shields, which helps Warthogs if I cannot stack too many of them.

I used carriers before I discovered their true power just to get at ships that keep kiting away from my ships.  Normal fights are not as fun anymore because the AI kites too much, so I break that by exploiting carriers.

But, yes, loss of shot range from Unstable Injector on most ships hurt too much.  This is why I may consider an all carrier fleet next game, or at least as many carriers as I can hire Timid officers to run away from everyone.  Not sure less speed on Unstable Injector will be enough.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 01:27:35 PM by Megas »

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 30, 2017, 01:27:30 PM »

Transverse Jump was awesome for escaping pursuing fleets, and this change is specifically designed to make that not work anymore.
This update did add Interdiction Pulse, which has a brief chargeup and then halts any pursuing fleet for a good 6-7 seconds, easily enough to turn on Sustained Burn and escape.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 30, 2017, 01:28:28 PM »

What you are asking is basically "why should elements in a game be balanced against each other?"
So a) there’s a challenge for the player involved and b) there’s a reason to use multiple different elements and not just one. Both are essential to keep the game from becoming boring.
In the example at hand, Transverse Jump makes other tactics to escape (hiding in asteroid fields, emergency burn) or not get spotted (running dark, distractions) and the related stats less relevant, if not obsolete.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 30, 2017, 01:29:20 PM »

Updated! Last batch of changes; next up: some playtesting to make sure everything is in decent shape.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35