Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 35

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 276673 times)

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8.1a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2017, 04:36:40 PM »

re Odyssey: i'm glad it got a 2nd flight deck, and i like it getting a speed buff, but like many others i feel 90 is too high. 70 or 75 would be fine, i think.

also, can Venture have a 2nd deck now too? it probably wouldn't even make much of a balance difference, but only a single built-in Mining Pod wing just feels really underwhelming, even for a semi-civilian ship... even Converted Hangar with zero-OP Talons would probably be better than that.

re Damper Field: i think the reduced charge regen is good, and 50% damage reduction is fine on Mora, but together might be too much of a nerf for Brawler and Centurion. how about making the damage reduction scale with ship size like 70/60/50/40?

oh yeah, and...
<.<
>.>
did you perchance look at implementing that holding down right-click to immediately activate shield/cloak thing? ^^

Surge

• Captain
  • Go big or go home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2017, 04:46:59 PM »

holy hell that FSG nerf, are shielded Hounds REALLY that strong? I've never really thought of ships with FSG as anything more than makeshift support vessels that, you know, actually work in combat. Considering that of the ships that really needed FSG; Hound, Cerberus, Buffalo MkII, Mudskipper MkII, only the Hound was really capable of running circles around targets. Now these ships are not only in a position where they are spending a good chunk of their limited OP to counter EMP weapons and provide some modest longevity against kite builds, they are also sacrificing the speed they now need more than ever to offset their horribly taxed flux systems.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2017, 04:57:08 PM »

The fastest base speed a cruiser has is 80.  Odyssey could be fine at 80, if 90 is too much.

Hounds with Front Shield Generator are merely viable in combat.  Without a shield it is dead the moment an enemy with missiles or beams or EMP weaponry appear.  Without shields, Hound and Cerberus are just freighters without the civilian hullmods.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2017, 05:01:34 PM »

not entirely related to the patch notes, but since there always seem to be people who get confused about Front Shield Generator, Front Shield Emitter and Omni Shield Emitter, i suggest renaming them to something like:

• Makeshift Shield Generator (the tooltip can specify it's front-locked, don't need to put that into the name itself)
  • Front Shield Conversion
  • Omni Shield Conversion

that makes it clear that the generator is only for ships that don't already have a shield, and that the other two aren't meant for ships that don't already have one.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2017, 05:08:53 PM »

Front Shield Generator and Front Shield Emitter are too similar and easy to confuse when reading posts discussing them.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2017, 05:14:42 PM »

Overall looks really nice :)

Piranha: removed LMG, bombs have an 0.1 second arming time

Makes sense - they had this peculiar behavior where they would often do more damage hanging around a smaller target (frigate/mobile destroyer) with their lmg's than their guns. I'm guessing the improved leading is helping their damage potential? Otherwise our Kopesh overlords won't have much competition for carpet bombing.

Dagger/Trident: The OP reduction is good - I might go farther, but thats probably overbalancing. I've found that for hunting destroyers Daggers are nastily effective (when backed up), though I still might lean Kopesh and just eat being a bit worse against destroyers in exchange for 8 OP and being better against cruisers/caps.

Talons: I'm glad they won't be saturating point defenses with their swarmers so much.

THUNDERS
Spoiler
Hell yes.

THUNDER
[close]

I'm preemptively clenching for frigate captains everywhere. Assuming they can hit their targets at those speeds and don't get too quickly flux locked on the IR pulse.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2017, 05:24:20 PM »

I started drafting another wall-of-text commentary about skills a day or two ago, but with the changes coming, it may be best for me to wait until the update hits.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2017, 05:34:14 PM »

also, can Venture have a 2nd deck now too? it probably wouldn't even make much of a balance difference, but only a single built-in Mining Pod wing just feels really underwhelming, even for a semi-civilian ship... even Converted Hangar with zero-OP Talons would probably be better than that.

Well, the Venture's built-in mining drones aren't supposed to be *good*, so comparing them to other things, they should fall short.

re Damper Field: i think the reduced charge regen is good, and 50% damage reduction is fine on Mora, but together might be too much of a nerf for Brawler and Centurion. how about making the damage reduction scale with ship size like 70/60/50/40?

Maybe - still considering what/whether to do something re: Centurion/Brawler.

oh yeah, and...
<.<
>.>
did you perchance look at implementing that holding down right-click to immediately activate shield/cloak thing? ^^

I think I mentioned this before - not something I'm comfortable touching w/o a bunch of testing to follow. Too easy to introduce a bug there.

Re: FSG - if it takes a barely-combat-viable ship and makes it combat-viable, then that by definition is at least bordering on "too strong", isn't it? The idea is to make it available early, but also make it an option rather than something you always put on Hounds/Cerberi/etc.

not entirely related to the patch notes, but since there always seem to be people who get confused about Front Shield Generator, Front Shield Emitter and Omni Shield Emitter, i suggest renaming them to something like:

Good idea. Renamed to:
Makeshift Shield Generator
Shield Conversion - Front
Shield Conversion - Omni

I'm preemptively clenching for frigate captains everywhere. Assuming they can hit their targets at those speeds and don't get too quickly flux locked on the IR pulse.

They can hit things pretty well, yeah. They do give up a lot of firepower and durability compared to other wing options, though - the price they pay for rapid response and force concentration.

adimetro00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2017, 05:38:19 PM »

Yes, yes!  ;D
I can't wait for this update to be released!
Anyway, Alex. Can we restore detached/destroyed modules on a ship? e.g. when we restore a ship and it's missing its modules, can we restore the modules as well?
Also, Any ETAs for the update?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2017, 05:51:58 PM »

Anyway, Alex. Can we restore detached/destroyed modules on a ship? e.g. when we restore a ship and it's missing its modules, can we restore the modules as well?

Modules come back naturally over the course of repairs.

Soon(tm), of course :)

Zhentar

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2017, 06:06:06 PM »

• Ox-class Tug:
    • Improves fleetwide burn by 1, cumulative with other tugs, not limited by its own burn level

Awesom-

• Uses 10 fuel per light-year

Oh :( Guess I won't be using it then...

Could we pretty pretty please get some sort of military cargo and tanker ship? I don't mind investing more heavily in them to get the benefit but I feel it is very much an area where the sector military fleets lack.

Put insulated engines on it, and you're good to go. Sensor strength on it probably won't matter much if you've got enough ships.

I've already got insulated engines on my Colossi to mostly cancel out the augmented drive field... they're still the noisiest ships in my fleet. I was excited to have a non-civilian hull freighter, without that I'll have to go back to buffalos :(

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2017, 06:06:50 PM »

Yes, yes!  ;D
I can't wait for this update to be released!
detached modules? what?
mmm.... tartiflette

dk1332

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2017, 06:07:53 PM »

Sweet mother of Odyssey. Can't wait for this.

Now I can stop limiting my speed fleet to 70% non-carriers, 20% auxiliary ships, and 10% carriers due to them starting with "engage" fighters.
The new strike command should be able to give players an edge against the REDACTED Stations.

Wish the ship's restoration doesn't cost that much or rather it costs more depending on each D-mods it has. But meh, a free ship is free.

Btw, I'm not sure if this has been reported already but found this odd...things happening
  • When using a converted hangar, one of the fighter wings "dies" at the start in the battle for no reason causing the ship replacement to drop instantaneously. Only noticed this during pursuit battles.
  • Using the console command mod, I spawned a mid sized Hegemony fleet in a REDACTED space. The REDACTED fleet (has 3 cruisers, 2 carriers, 4 destroyers and some frigates) runs away from them rather than attacking.
  • One issue from console commands is that NPC fleets attacking a REDACTED station ends with both sides disengaging with no loses.
  • Another one from console commands, you cannot join an ongoing battle against the REDACTED station and the NPC fleet
  • Also, there was once where the REDACTED Station joins you against the NPC fleet that was attacking it even though you already have friendly or above reputation
  • Not from console command but same as above, a Pirate fleet used a distress signal in a REDACTED space, when I entered, the REDACTED fleet (which is has hostile rep towards me) wants me to join them against the Pirate fleet

There's the probability that most of those problems might be caused the buggy console command mod. But maybe they are worth checking out?

Spoiler
then again....the REDACTED might only meant to be fought by the Player so you can disregard this post  ;)
[close]

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2017, 06:08:06 PM »

Could we pretty pretty please get some sort of military cargo and tanker ship? I don't mind investing more heavily in them to get the benefit but I feel it is very much an area where the sector military fleets lack.

brb colossus (A) mod incoming
mmm.... tartiflette

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2017, 06:08:21 PM »

detached modules? what?
On the big REDACTED, some modules stay on and others fly off when destroyed.

• Ox-class Tug:
    • Improves fleetwide burn by 1, cumulative with other tugs, not limited by its own burn level

Hm, with that in mind, it might make sense to give some AI fleets Tugs as to make escaping them a bit more of a challenge.  Stuff like system patrols or smugglers to make catching them harder.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 06:11:28 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 35