Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: About (in theory never-ending?) faction hostilities  (Read 6663 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
About (in theory never-ending?) faction hostilities
« on: May 23, 2017, 10:19:04 PM »

It's been reported a few times that there are non-stop faction hostilities after some time in the game. I've been looking into this - fast-forwarded through to about cycle 210 - and nothing looks untoward. Three sets of conflicts at the moment, and that's about the high water mark for the number of concurrent ones. I'd really appreciate a bit more info on what you guys are seeing.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: About (in theory never-ending?) faction hostilities
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 12:14:12 AM »

Have played 2 full games (to level 40) in 0.8, lasting several cycles. No single conflict ever ended, they only start to the point where everyone is at war with everyone else.
Exceptions are neutrals and syndria-persean alliance. And I think in one of 2 saves there was no syndrya-TT war (yet?).

Am not at home, so can't check saves for more details right now.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 01:40:40 AM »

I don't think I've ever seen any other news than "x/y hostilities"... I may remember wrongly, though. I'll later load my long-running save and check if it really is like that and then run clean new game to check if it was my save created on RC17.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 04:00:53 AM »

Played a couple of long ~Cycle 214 games and conflicts end normally. Sometimes wars are really long. Im playing without any comission so maybe it is related.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 04:08:36 AM »

Alex, did those things change between RC-17 and RC-19? On my save started in RC-17 diplomacy is stagnant at forever war, while on newer saves wars appear to be just long.

Hussar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 06:06:34 AM »

Hmm, thinking of this I have to say that yeah. I don't really remember any instance of peace anytime coming through, and I've played multiple playthroughs, some more complete than others - and usually on a commission. I'm 200% sure that I never had peace coming through for a faction I was a part of (that would be hard to notice, few notes and improved relation with yesterday's enemies after all) and in general I don't recollect anything like that happening between other factions as well really.

In short. You can even spark a war but I'm yet to see it ending.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 02:38:55 PM »

I'm running a RC19 save up to cycle 212 right now and there is only war (except the diktat and the league, which always seem to buddy up with one another, strange that)

I agree with Hussar here, I wonder if wars are just not ending properly. Is there supposed to be a notification saying wars are ending? If so, I too have never seen it
mmm.... tartiflette

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 02:40:12 PM »

Three sets of conflicts at the moment, and that's about the high water mark for the number of concurrent ones. I'd really appreciate a bit more info on what you guys are seeing.
The conflict events end, but the reputation changes don't revert; the factions stay hostile to each other after the hostilities end. Check the faction relations panel.

Hussar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 03:17:51 PM »

Three sets of conflicts at the moment, and that's about the high water mark for the number of concurrent ones. I'd really appreciate a bit more info on what you guys are seeing.
The conflict events end, but the reputation changes don't revert; the factions stay hostile to each other after the hostilities end. Check the faction relations panel.

Event "war" ended but not the actual war in other words. This would explain a lot.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 03:34:52 PM »

Shouldn't be related to RC17 vs 19. Let me see if maybe it's related to having a commission.

I just checked the faction hostility status in my cycle-210 game and it seems to be normal - i.e. basic set of hostilities, plus whatever is warranted based on the 3 ongoing events. Weird.

Zhentar

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 05:45:41 PM »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 05:55:20 PM »

Thank you - that does indeed help, confirms precisely that the issue is relations not resetting. Now, to track down why/how - but at least I know exactly what I'm looking for :)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 06:04:01 PM »

I've got this save, my first save from the day 0.8 released and is currently in Cycle 224 (takes a while to explore the entire sector legitimately, you know).  No time acceleration, no console commands used (despite having it), nothing fiddled with.  I had a commision with the Hegemony, but I made friends with pretty much everyone else because AI cores.  Everyone still pretty much at war with eachother, and it's been so long that I can't find any previous faction interaction dialogues in the log.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5zn69wag77xirk/save_WalterHampton_6860095052817160422.zip?dl=0

EDIT:
And Alex beat me to it. :)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 07:52:53 PM »

Hmm. Still haven't been able to reproduce it, but it should, in theory, be fixed. Made sure there's no way for the hostilities event to end without resetting the relationship to at worst 0. Previously that was possible if the factions were hostile before the event, which I have a hard time seeing how that could happen, but... well. Honestly, only about 75% certain of the fix.

zaimoni

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 01:22:03 AM »

I agree with Hussar here, I wonder if wars are just not ending properly. Is there supposed to be a notification saying wars are ending? If so, I too have never seen it
It's very normal, when taking a Hegemony commission immediately on arriving at Jangala, to come up to a TriTachyon patrol in July 206 that adopts a neutral stance while the state of war with the Hegemony is still on.  Made me think the war tried to end but that failed.
Pages: [1] 2