Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Text adventures  (Read 1592 times)

Embercloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Text adventures
« on: May 22, 2017, 03:27:53 AM »

Just tossing it up here that I would really really like to see some text adventures. Preferably while going tech mining in domain ruins.

I realize that writing them and applying code for results is a bit of work, but I think it could really add to the atmosphere of the game.

zaimoni

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Text adventures
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 04:28:11 AM »

Those have their own domain-specific languages.  It simply is not worth trying to hand-roll yet another one.  (Yes, the archetypical text adventure is Zork I; the menu system currently in place lends itself more to "choose your own adventure" clones than text adventures.)

At least the Z-Machine Preservation Project has a Java implementation of a mainstream interactive fiction language (Inform 7), but I have no idea whether it has an appropriate library factoring.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 05:10:31 AM »

starsector frog fractions 3 when
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 06:08:38 PM »

Anyone remember Space Rangers 2 and its text adventure missions? That stuff was just amazing, and I would love to see something similar in Starsector. I think it would be a way to add story, flavor and secondary content that has a high bang-for-the-buck ratio, since it doesn't need complex mechanical integration with the rest of the game, the way a normal quest does. They could be outsourced to a writer far more easily than any other kind of content, if desired.

Inform 7 is incredible. I've actually thought before about what being able to use it to write Starsector content would be like, but not knowing that there was a Java implementation I dismissed it as a fantasy. Now I'm going to relentlessly lobby for it  ;D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 06:11:07 PM by orost »