Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Toning Down coronas  (Read 5462 times)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Toning Down coronas
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 12:31:18 AM »

I'm not disagreeing that if you build out your entire fleet for pure exploration, you can avoid the issue in question, but that's not the only way to play the game. If you are hunting bounties, you need to bring a full combat fleet, and bounties often spawn quite far from core worlds so if you try to string multiple bounties together, you can easily end up low on supplies and far from the core, where losing bunch of supplies is fatal. There are plenty of situations where you would want a medium or large fleet and might accidentally end up too close to a corona. The point I was trying to make is that the effects are very pronounced, very sudden and sometimes unavoidable and that does not make for a very good mechanic. Sure if you build out your whole fleet to avoid the effects, you can minimize them, but that doesn't solve the problem for the other half of the game.

This is also true for new unexperienced players, who could very easily stumble into a corona, lose all supplies and more or less lose campaign in just a few seconds. Supply management can be tricky in general and toning down ways to easily mess up will go a long way towards making it feel less frustrating. I don't personally dislike it, but there have been complaints on the forum for a while about CR and this is definitely a contributing factor.

I definitely have undervalued solar shielding because I like to run a very generalist fleet. I keep enough combat ships to handle decent sized bounty fleets. I generally leave capitals in storage unless I am hunting battle stations, but I will have 2-4 cruisers as well as 2-3 more cruiser sized carriers, and then an assortment of destroyers and frigates as well as tankers and freighters for long trips. I tend to take a bounty on the way out and then do some scanning/surveying missions and a bunch more planets surveying around the mission locations. I can easily make huge profits even after large supply and fuel consumptions are considered. I definitely have way too many ships but I make plenty of money and I can handle 2-3 ping remnant systems and large bounties which I find much more enjoyable than just scanning stuff and killing small fry. I don't disagree that it has some uses, I just wish it was a bit more useful. It's not really my main concern though, the only reason I brought it up is because it is not a general solution to the problems I have with coronas, it only works with a very specific fleet type.
Pages: 1 [2]