Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Mode Suggestion: Faction Battle  (Read 1738 times)

CoyoteTheClever

• Ensign
    • View Profile
New Mode Suggestion: Faction Battle
« on: May 31, 2017, 04:52:54 PM »

I was thinking that the game is set up in such a way that it might be relatively easy to add a new mode that offers a little more direction and more consistent challenge than the campaign mode, but is more involved strategically than the simulation mode.

My idea is that there would be a faction battle mode where the player selects a faction (Which would be the difficulty level) and fights several escalating battles with them. In between the battles, the player can use funds to buy their fleet, assign their perks (Which would be different from the campaign), and make some strategic decisions that may affect what ships they have access to purchase or how their economy looks. Each faction they battle might also have special gimmicks, and as they unlock higher difficulty factions to fight, the strategic choices they have to make regarding perks and other things would grow more complex. When they are defeated in battle, they have to start the faction battle over again from scratch.

For an example of how this would work, players would start out being able to faction battle against the Pirates, which would be the easy faction. The gimmick of the Pirates would be that after 75% of their fleet is defeated, they begin to retreat, but every ship destroyed gives extra money for the player to spend on buying their fleet in between battles.

The player would have a "planet" where they could slot in buildings in between missions against the pirates, making trade-offs between enlarging their fleet to help them in the next mission or instead buying buildings to unlock access to other ships to purchase or buying economic buildings that will produce more money after every mission.

After progressing a certain amount through the Pirate faction battle missions, the player would unlock the next faction (Maybe the Luddite Church), where they'd have more decisions to make, a different gimmick to deal with, and showcasing different ships that they have to fight instead of the Pirates ones.

What do you guys think? Interesting idea that could fit in well using the existing structure of Starsector, or terrible and boring?

PyroFuzz

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: New Mode Suggestion: Faction Battle
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 05:30:19 PM »

So its like a limited campaign, where you fight enemy waves? (As you upgrade or improve your fleet)
Hello!

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 06:29:47 PM »

I think it could be fun but it would be whole new game mode with all new balance issues. Honestly it kind of sounds like a version of Tower Defense. It would be a cool mod but I don't know if we'd ever see an official version.

I think a variation of such a mode would be exceptional for a campaign tie-in: invasion fleets. Whether you're the defender or the attacker, it would be wave after wave of faction enemies. If you are the attacker, you get a respite between rounds but the only reinforcements you get are what you brought. If you're the defender, either fighting for or allied with the defending faction, yeah, you'd have access to repairs, buying/refitting new ships (at a reduced price), and/or allied fleets helping out. If you can break through as the attacker, you get the planet/port and if you repel the invaders, you get serious rep with the faction, huge credit payments and perhaps no tariffs at port for a time. Something meaningful, at least.

CoyoteTheClever

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 08:50:35 PM »

So its like a limited campaign, where you fight enemy waves? (As you upgrade or improve your fleet)

Pretty much, yes! Though there would be quirks depending on what faction you are fighting and some decisions to make in between waves.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 12:34:34 AM »

I like this idea, I think it would be a lot of fun, but it would probably delay the next big additions to the game by months. I would much rather have outposts and a more interesting economy.