Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: reputation from trade gone?  (Read 2588 times)

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
reputation from trade gone?
« on: May 19, 2017, 11:36:42 AM »

So I'm always dumping salvaged goods and metal into various pirate worlds, with my transponder ON (suspicious/neutral rating with pirate), into the normal market, and yet the other factions in those systems don't seem to ding my rep. And the pirates never give me any rep for trading with them either. Is that feature totally gone in 0.80? Or do you have to trade like hundreds of units?

Does attacking a faction's enemy also not boost your rep with that faction anymore?

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: reputation from trade gone?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 01:11:14 PM »

I think it scales off of your trade profit, so without trade disruptions or any player influence on the economy this update it is very hard to get exp or rep from trade. you can get it, ive seen the popups. In addition, there is a cutoff at some rep level past like 20 or something where you won't get rep but still get XP.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 10:42:34 AM »

Ah, ok. Right so if it's salvage, there isn't profit per say. From an in-game standpoint, I don't quite see why a faction would be angry or pleased at you for trading goods that you'd found vs goods that you bought.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 10:54:38 AM »

Just gave it a quick test, seems to be working. It takes around 100k credits in trade volume for the first point of rep change and goes up from there - possibly set too high.

This is different from trade experience, which is only gained for "profitable" trades, and those are indeed very hard to come by in this release.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 11:30:30 AM »

Ok, the exp thing makes sense. And maybe the rep does, or maybe not.

Now, is this trade reputation 100k threshold cumulative? Or it has to be 100k all at once? and then the next 100k, you get a 2nd point of rep? Linear or exponential increase?

Even in builds where trade isn't broken, by the time you're doing 100k trade volumes, it's probable that most players have already sort of picked sides and 1 point of rep is inconsequential.

But having it at a 100k threshold is probably good, since that means players during the early game hobo phase can trade freely with everyone and not be penalized, and from an in-game standpoint, hobo freighting is peanuts for the factions concerned so why should they care? I remember the threshold being lower previously, but this might be a good change.

But if you've got big fleets delivering tonnes of stuff somewhere that really makes an impact, and factions should reward/penalize it more. Though just 1 rep per 100k seems like not much.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 11:39:12 AM »

It's cumulative, and goes up linearly with each rep point, by 100k, up to a limit of 1 million.

Governed by these settings:
"economyPlayerTradeVolumeForRepChangeMin":100000,
"economyPlayerTradeVolumeForRepChangeMax":1000000,
"economyPlayerTradeVolumeForRepChangeIncr":100000,

But, yeah, this'll definitely need a look at some point.