Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: contradictory conditions on planet?  (Read 1511 times)

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
contradictory conditions on planet?
« on: May 16, 2017, 11:25:56 PM »

Hello,

I found a jungle planet in the dark reaches of space on a prelim survey. It is hot, has an inimical biosphere, extreme weather, and has the high gravity, crushingly high, condition.

Yet somehow, it is also habitable by people, and aleady is by those living in a decivilized condition. This seems contradictory, like maybe these conditions aren't supposed to go together, but I'm not sure.

New Caldwell, in the Swan System of the Mu Nebula on the far 'east' of the map. Seed YS-5710469132797739340

[attachment deleted by admin]

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: contradictory conditions on planet?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 05:21:03 AM »

Currently the only conditions that prohibit the Habitable condition are: very hot, very cold, no/thin/thick/toxic atmosphere, irradiated and dark.
A planet could arguably still qualify as habitable while having any and all of the conditions seen in the reported case. But maybe it should just remove the Habitable condition if the overall hazard rating is above a threshold.

Another combination that the def suggests is possible but looks weird at first glance: Rich/Bountiful farmland with the Poor Light condition. Well, maybe the crops are chemotrophs.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: contradictory conditions on planet?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 08:59:04 AM »

I think you found Pyrrus.

"Habitable" doesn't really mean a lot beyond a nominally-breathable atmosphere and non-lethal levels of radiation. It's also got ruins, so presumably at least some of those aren't in a completely dilapidated state and aid in the survival of the remaining population.