Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Bribe Market Command  (Read 2032 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Bribe Market Command
« on: May 16, 2017, 12:31:56 PM »

I finally found a hullmod I can't unlock with skills, after scouring most of the core for it market by market, and it's locked behind a TT commission that would put every faction in the sector hostile against me. It'd be nice if there was a way to bribe the station commander to allow me to buy this thing, even if it costs way more than the thing itself and hurt my relation with TT
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Bribe Market Command
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 12:52:22 PM »

Not just hullmods, but weapons too.  I do not want to spend three (or six) points in Salvaging just to loot the small handful of research stations in the whole Sector just for the chance that Converted Hangar or IPDAI appears in the loot.

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 03:21:22 PM »

Agreed. While it makes sense that a faction would withhold their best equipment to the public for the sake of their own fleets, and to incentivise people into joining up, there's always a way to grease the wheels.
On bribery, I think it should have a more compelling trade-off than just higher costs. Rather, it'd be cool if it were linked to black market suspicion or had a similar system of its own. You can bribe an official to allow you access to that equipment, but if you're caught with that equipment, commodity or ship that by all rights you shouldn't have access to, it'll damage your relations with that faction. It'd be even cooler if it were done without subtlety, and discovered that an official accepted a bribe, that they were then replaced by someone with higher loyalty to their faction. Some station commanders could refuse bribes, some could refuse and view you in a poor light damaging relations, some might only accept them if you come in with the transponder off.
So another alternative to a commission requirement could simply be becoming very friendly with that faction. If you've jumped into fights to help their fleets, brought them food in times of shortage, ran missions and hunted bounties for them, I don't see why most would still then refuse to allow you access to their higher-tier stuff - favourability could function as a currency in this sense. You've done X favours for <faction>, so they'll allow you access to Y value of equipment/ships. I could go either way with their top-end equipment and ships still being locked behind a commission though, to retain that incentive for the commission - which would still allow you access to their lower-tier stuff earlier than getting way over on their good side.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 03:23:38 PM by Morbo513 »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 03:44:07 PM »

Reputation above favorable is generally worthless without commission.  All that it is good for is a cushion for bad behavior.

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 03:54:17 PM »

Reputation above favorable is generally worthless without commission.  All that it is good for is a cushion for bad behavior.

Well yeah, the option to use it to circumvent commission requirements would make it more relevant in addition to resolving the issue brought up here

dk1332

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 06:39:53 PM »

This is a good idea, Maybe add like another NPC in the market that lets you get some military tech by bribing with credis or doing some errands like "smuggle X to Y" or "Sabotage X fleet while its going to Y".

Ofcourse, this should be also limited to what you can still get but at least its doesn't require you to jump from system to system just to find a certain tech you are looking for.