Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mission, storylines, immersion, tools and a look at how other games do it  (Read 6783 times)

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile

You're right!
No one should be posting suggestions in the suggestions forum.
We should all work on making the suggestions ourselves.

Welp, better close this sub-forum...

Don't be melodramatic. My point was not that you shouldn't suggest things; it was that you should retain some idea of how difficult what you are suggesting is. Especially after being told repeatedly that it is difficult and something of a side issue at this stage of development.

If you badly want something to exist, the best way to ensure that it does is to make it yourself. That doesn't mean you should only ever make things yourself. That's a patently false misreading of what I said.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile

It's not about the bar. Comms directory is the same thing.

And it's not about an editor. I'd rather just use my text editor where i can grep and type 90wpm.

EV quests were easy even with Resedit TMPLs because the game design limited what you could do; and that approach really succeeded. Sometimes creativity thrives in a cage. Starsector doesn't have to limit things in this way; but it should let less advanced modders opt-in to limits for easier quest creation (this is what "MissionLib" would do).

Don't be offended Trashman, I think Soren make a good point.  The game is still in testing. But that does mean rules.csv has failed the test; since after 6 years the community hasn't embraced it.  I'd love to try and make a MissionLib, but it would take too much time for me to get my skills up to par, and even if they were, I have many calls on my time. I'm quite unqualified to address the performance concerns like Histidine mentions.

It does sound like something a modder could do themselves, right histidine? (an extended rules dialogue plugin that called individual csv or txt files) but because the developer is murmering about adding stuff later, it would probably become obsolete; which is a big disincentive. So I don't blame modders much for not biting on it. But this is another reason why the developer shouldn't put this off to the end. It should develop in conjunction with the rest of the game.
Pages: 1 [2]