Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Have you destroyed a fully functional Remnant Battlestation?

Yes, a near flawless kill too
Yes, but with heavy losses
No, I tried but it wasn't happening
No, I haven't even tried yet

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Been a few weeks now, have you killed one? [Spoilers]  (Read 13803 times)

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Been a few weeks now, have you killed one? [Spoilers]
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 11:55:22 AM »

My first try was with a bunch of Enforcers/Hammerheads, 1 Drover, 2 Moras, one Dominator (XIV) and a Legion as the tip of the spear. I figured frigates wouldn't last long. As I had been steamrolling Remnant fleets leading up to the battle (and most fleets in general), I figured it'd be a cakewalk.

Entered the battle space, let the fighters begin their run and watched as Sparks (Lux?) interceptors proceeded to cut them down indiscriminately. The Guardian PD made mincemeat of the rest. With the fighter screen down, the Destroyers got picked off one by one. The Moras took hits like a champ and the Enforcer had Mk. IX's to hammer the shields. The Legion is a pretty nice brawler but even with Mjolnirs, it was having a hard time making a dent. Ended up losing everything except for the Legion and one Mora. My poor Dominator sacrificed itself trying to protect the Legion.

Second attempt was with a high-tech fleet: Paragon, Astral, two Auroras, a buttload of Tempests and a few Sunders/Hammerheads. In my first attempt, nothing stayed behind the Paragon. Frigates were effective at making a nice screen and dealing with fighters but the Destroyers just couldn't stay out of range. One Aurora got a little too aggressive and dove right in...he didn't last long. Everything died except for the Paragon. Hit F9. Second attempt had the Paragon lumber up first and from there, I can't recall any losses outside of a Tempest or two.

Third time was with clunker fleet and I had the unfortunate luck of having two Remnant fleets join the battle. I deployed 28 ships: the largest was a D-Mod Legion and one D-mod Dominator. Everything else was Destroyers or Frigates. One advantage of a large fleet is the sheer number of missiles it can bring to the battle. Whenever a shield went down, a dozen Harpoons immediately followed. I left with 8 ships and enough AI Cores to completely buy a new fleet. :)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 12:43:23 PM »

I forgot to mention that if Paragon does not outrange battlestation, and gets shot it by all three among Gauss, HIL, and Squalls, it will not last very long.  Gauss and Squalls will put hard flux on shields in a hurry.  HILs will strip armor and burn hull fast.  If Flash bombers get thrown at it while pressured by everything else, it will hurt.  If Paragon cannot outrange the battlestation, it will need help from other ships to distract the battlestation enough to not let it focus-fire everything at the Paragon.

torbes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 04:27:02 PM »

I wonder how many people who voted have only fought the damaged battlestation and not the hero battlestation.

I've only found damaged ones :( even in triple ping systems, can't find a real battlestation....

Could we maybe bribe someone to at least mark the triple ping systems on the map? Make it prohibitively expensive, but for someone who doesn't like or isn't skilled for exploration is kinda a drag just trying to find it.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 01:03:09 AM »

A couple, yeah. Aside from range-cheesing it, the best way I've found is to get an Astral with 6 Flash wings and a very defensive Paragon. Have the Paragon distract most of its guns, and pound it to scrap with the Flashes. The thing about proximity mines is that they're AoE, so they make mincemeat of fighters defending slow targets. You don't have to worry about the proximity mines getting shot down by Sparks when all the Sparks are dead.

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 01:24:33 AM »

I had a pair of Onslaughts - one of them with 4 D-mods - 2 Ventures, and a swarm of Wolves (around 16), and somehow didn't lose a single ship - The Onslaught (D) took a lot of damage, but that was it. I didn't find it challenging at all, but that's maybe because of the sheer weight of the Onslaughts and the mobility and versatility of the Wolves. Though, I'm not certain if it was "fully operational", or whether degraded ones exists. Ed: Oh, apparently they do. I'm on a different save with mods now though, so we'll have to see.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2017, 01:51:32 AM »

Mix of carriers and cruisers; killed it without loss.
It had 3 other fleets backing it up too  :-\ (which incidentally, exposed a bug that supporting fleets tend to burn drive straight into the back of stations  ;D)

The only thing that really died in that battle was my frame rate. :'(
Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:14:35 PM by TJJ »

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 07:30:22 AM »

I'm getting the distinct impression that upping the battle size just so you can deploy a massive wall of ships is a great way to go... >_>

As for the poll, well, looking like quite a few players can't even find one or are either intimidated to the point they don't want to try or just plain aren't interested in taking on Starsector's biggest challenge!

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2017, 09:01:35 AM »

To be honest, you DO have to bring some serious firepower with you - I tried with 3 capitals and almost lost all of them (and exactly nothing else, lol). But yeah, big battlesize helps immensely against battlestation because it can't focus fire on you.

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2017, 12:38:25 PM »

I've only flown past a dormant remnant battle station when I first gave .8 version a quick playthrough with a new character with a new pirate portrait and refused to initiate combat with it because I quickly fell in love seeing an actual and ancient entity in a form of long-forbidden remnant AI ships, structures/stations in the game.

As for the Domain side of ancient AI which seem to be really just a bunch of glorified fool-proof and highly programmed program(s) that fly automated clunkers and repair them with defeated passing-by ships to keep their programmed list of priorities, ships and fleets in check for about over hundreds to probable thousand(s) of cycles ago back when they had purpose but since the original creators have long vanished and governments split apart and ever changing throughout all the star sectors with now disabled large star gates. They regrettably along with even remnants, are automatically hostile because they don't really seem to know what has happened over the eons ago and are most likely wondering why there are no answers from their creators and so they resort to their rest of their original programming which creates the byproduct effect on every living human now in the split-up sectors that "AI is evil! Blah blah propoganda blah blah blah." since the AI fleets themselves just haven't gotten the memo of "Uhm.. hey those old wars and politics are far into the past so can you uh.. change your priorities please?"
or some other kind of re-configuring to a straight-up off switch.

I'm most likely just digging too deep into all of the lore at this point but it does make a lot of sense to me IMO.
Anyhow as to avoid further derailing. I've only taken down a fully operational Domain's derelict AI clunker battle station, however I was barely awake at the time as I was both tired and zoned-out to a point I can't even remember what super-ship I used as I had a few of them in my fleet for quick ship change only. :D

EDIT_1: @TJJ,
The only thing that really died in that battle was my frame rate. :'(
Spoiler

[close]

Holy arse end of a cow! Yikes, haven't seen this amount of incoming steamroll in the game and if I have seen something like that it usually consists of many upon many smaller vessels but this though... talk about overkill!  :D

EDIT_2: Just found a second derelict battle station mothership again and it's exactly the thing I was talking about having fought with:
Spoiler

And yeah, that remnant ship there, that's my modded-in altered version of the original Brilliant-class ship, I just basically mirror swapped the left side the most visually so I could have two large weapon mounts and my beloved symmetry. Heavier config modifications are all inside the ship.
[close]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:18:06 PM by Drokkath »
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

c0nr4d1c4l

• Commander
  • Local forum transient
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2017, 02:53:44 PM »

I got a fully functional battlestation and a small sub-ordo losing only 3 frigates (later resalvaged). I used my Onlaught as a meatshield while the Mora and Falcon's fighters distracted the PDs letting the rest of the fleet take the battlestation...

Spoiler
At least that's what I hoped would happen. I was forced to ram my Onslaught twice with the burn drive while unleashing all the firepower my ship could muster in order to keep my fleet from being cheese grated. -_- But at least I took it out!
[close]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:56:44 PM by c0nr4d1c4l »
"Slap slap slap, clap clap clap"

Head salesman and CEO of the Discount Shipyard

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 10:50:10 PM »

Okay, I finally met one. I used a scrap fleet to scout it out and get a feel for its firepower and good god damn, they nearly got wiped just probing. The abundance of derelicts has its perks.

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2017, 02:16:22 AM »

Finally found a larger area swarming with remnant fleets in a different/current world seed of mine so I got to see the remnant battle station once again and this time up close as I blasted its surface gizmos all off thus rendering it blown to derelict pieces.

For me personally going up against it with only one heavily over-modified half-reverse-engineered symmetrical remnant cruiser of my own was a walk through a park. I didn't steamroll it for some challenge as I didn't seek one, nah, I steamrolled it for the satisfying feel of crushing something without the stress of getting myself killed.
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

Reth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2017, 02:44:45 PM »

I'm getting the distinct impression that upping the battle size just so you can deploy a massive wall of ships is a great way to go... >_>
This. Using the default battle size (120?) my ships got fed one by one to it without even getting the shields down. After setting it to 600 and deploying ships worth about 250 deployment points (or however they are called) it just died.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2017, 03:30:02 PM »

I just drove a onsluaght right up at it and eat the damage on my armour. The rest of my fleet was free to pount away. It went really quickly and i had only lost 50% hull, while all my otger ships were undamaged

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 03:38:53 PM »

Just managed to solo the hero battlestation with an Astral with six Sparks, before the next patch weakens fighters.  I was wrong about Paragon being the strongest, that award goes to Astral, for now.  The hardest part was destroying Guardian PD modules before peak performance decayed too much.

P.S.  No damage on Astral.
Pages: 1 [2] 3