Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Have you destroyed a fully functional Remnant Battlestation?

Yes, a near flawless kill too
Yes, but with heavy losses
No, I tried but it wasn't happening
No, I haven't even tried yet

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Been a few weeks now, have you killed one? [Spoilers]  (Read 13734 times)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Been a few weeks now, have you killed one? [Spoilers]
« on: May 15, 2017, 05:05:30 PM »

The biggest, baddest beast in Starsector—the fully operational Remnant Battlestation! Have you guys risen to the challenge and turned one into space scrap!?

If so, what is the best method of going about it? Do you all agree that getting a Paragon and setting it up with shield hullmods so it can tank the damage while carriers bomb the station to pieces is the best? Or do you have some other clever/efficient method to take one down?

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
Re: Been a few weeks now, have you killed one? [Spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 05:29:42 PM »

Haven't even found one yet. I confused survey mothership as the thing everyone was talkingg about, and brought a massive armada with mora cruisers and a bunch of other carriers. I was a tiny bit disapointed xD
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 05:32:50 PM »

In my experience, getting a bunch of cheap carriers (drovers & moras mainly), loading them up with a good mix of bombers and a few interceptors, and then giving a single "engage" order on the battlestation that your whole fleet is assigned to makes pretty quick work of it. Make sure you load up your carriers with as many missiles as possible, mainly sabots. Giving an engage order will make all your carriers close to weapons range, and the battlestation just can't handle the pressure of ~10 drovers worth of sabots. This takes down their shields, and lets your bombers start doing some serious damage to the modules. After a few modules go down, it's basically a snowball effect from there and the rest of the fight is no longer a challenge. Officers with carrier-related skills are a plus, and might even be necessary to a certain degree.

Note: this is likely only possible with the largest battle size setting. If you can't field enough carriers at once, my guess is that things won't go very well for your fleet.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 05:37:38 PM »

Even 6 buffed up Guardian PD Systems can't swat away fighters fast enough, eh? You'd think with a level 20 officer, the Battlestation would obliterate fighters with 6 large mounts dedicated to PD...

Recklessimpulse

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 06:00:55 PM »

and in most cases the AA on the station will you need a large and healthy amount of bomber to ruin it's day and you have to overload it's defenses to do so as well Kopashes and the AI bomber do this best ships that can face tank it help as well so capitals and heavy cruisers are needed if you want to support the fighters and bombers.

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 11:30:57 PM »

I had the largest battle size on, deployed a Paragon and 2 Astrals, made fairly quick work of it. A giant swarm of Sparks protects my ship from any real damage. Probably doable with 2 Astrals.

Droopy The Dog

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 03:37:46 AM »

Not really clever tactics or anything, but I took my first one down with my mid-tech themed fleet and no special planning. Conquest, 3 herons, gryphon, 14th falcon, an eagle or maybe two. Had some medusas and frigates too but I kept them well away.

Went in and face-brawled with it a while, retreated a couple of ships for significant hull damage and realised attrition was gonna be too high. Pulled everything else back and circled around with the rotation trading long range blows with conquest firing gauss cannons into the shield gaps until all the easy weapon pylons were dead, then charged in again to finish the job.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 03:39:54 AM »

Like Psiyon, lining up Drovers is probably the best way to take down a station without losses. As for the bombers, the Piranhas are probably the most appropriate for this kind of opponent. Guardian PD and Sparks are good at intercepting a few torpedoes, but the limited charges will rapidly show their limits against a constant cloud of bombs. Moreover, the Piranhas's machine guns tends to be quite effective against shields too.

As for the Drovers's missiles, Sabots are good on the paper, but too easily intercepted i feel (expanded rack kinda offset that). On the other hand, annihilators and swarmers makes for good chaff to keep the enemy's PD busy. Ideally, perhaps a mix of Swarmers to deal with the fighters, and Sabots for shield-breaking/EMP might be the best choice.

If the cloud of bombers/bombs isn't sufficient to block the incoming projectiles from the station, one or two PD fighters (Talons, Wasps, Sparks) could prove useful to prevent the Squalls from causing too much trouble.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 04:21:40 AM »

Oh, my God... Conquest - 6% hull. Paragon - 37% hull. I've accidentally retreated untouched onslaught. The MVPs of the battle were Dominator (which station wouldn't finish and helped overload its shields a few times) and Heron (general fire support). And the station was finished by Enforcer and Hammerhead. But without paragon I'd probably loose because it tanked helluva lot damage from the station. I guess it's pretty good for small battle size and a first try.

A.Winge

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 08:09:17 AM »

Hmm...where is the "I tried it for the sake of it, and exited to keep from losing my fleet" option?  ;)

tinsoldier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 08:40:24 AM »

I wonder how many people who voted have only fought the damaged battlestation and not the hero battlestation.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 09:07:27 AM »

Fully operational, shielded, and with an officer (I've seen his portrait). So the toughest one, right?
Hmm...where is the "I tried it for the sake of it, and exited to keep from losing my fleet" option?  ;)
For fun I went with this the first time. Felt like Dark Souls.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 09:12:05 AM »

I wonder how many people who voted have only fought the damaged battlestation and not the hero battlestation.

I've only found damaged ones :( even in triple ping systems, can't find a real battlestation....

ErKeL

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 09:46:07 AM »

I've only found damaged ones :( even in triple ping systems, can't find a real battlestation....
I've unfortunately had the opposite. I can't seem to find any damaged stations to work my way up to the big boss.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 10:00:13 AM »

Yes.  A specific character build with a Paragon can easily smash a full-powered battlestation.  You may or may not have read my posts about battlestation killer Paragon.

Character needs the following skills maxed:  Command & Control, Gunnery Implants, and Electronic Warfare.  You want the +15% to your shot range and -25% to enemy shot range.

Give your Paragon at least two of either High Intensity Lasers or Tachyon Lance, mounted at the front hardpoints.  HVDs are a good idea to pound at shields, as a last resort.  (You may not need to, but the option is there in case you have trouble attacking some sections.)  Other weapons may be whatever to defend against Flash Bombers.

Paragon needs Advanced Optics hullmod.

Do NOT use Unstable Injector.  You need the shot range.  Similarly, if you use a clunker/zombie, it cannot have Glitched Sensors.  (If it does, restore it or get another without Glitched Sensors).

When it is time to fight, deploy enough ships to get the full -25% to enemy range.  Ships with ECM Package installed means less ships needed to deploy.  Send them at a corner to hide.

Now, with Paragon with max range beams and the battlestation's range cut by 25%, your Paragon beams will outrange the battlestation's.  The only weapon from the battlestation that has enough range to outrange and hit your Paragon is its Gauss Cannons, which your Paragon can shrug off.  Its HILs have less range than yours.  Even Squalls do not get fired.  Occasionally, Flash Bombers will try to bomb your ship, but they should be easy enough to neutralize.

Alex is aware of this and he will patch this exploit (possibly by giving the battlestation Gunnery Implants too).
Pages: [1] 2 3